Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1659474 wrote:

He just told me that I am his best friend. That surely wouldn't have happened if I was stull busy hugging the wine bottle. I am one grateful granny
    Ain't that grand Lav. :h

Just checking in. Wishing everyone a safe, sober and magical weekend!

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all - still hanging in there. I have no news - it was a crazy busy week but a good AF one. Am just posting to keep accountable. Welcome new folks - I Hope all have a healthy weekend!
      Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Friday is party nights. Well especially when youbare a tourist in a new country. To cut the long story shirt saw too many drunk people, losing control. I felt as if Ibwas on a life boat with all those folks in water swimming and enjoying, not knowing that there the water has a larger number of sharks and crocodiles. While I was sitting observing I could see others having great fun ...

Also saw a few folks like me who would grab few cans in a bag and roam around drinking as if they were self sufficient.

Yuck, its was disgusting actually and everytike I felt so glad and grateful for not being being inside the deadly water, for not having any craving for a drink.

2 days back I was in invited to a sit down fancy dinnner. The kinds where on the table they give you 3 glass. One for water, one for wine and the thrid for the after food licquer. Was sitting next to a supplier who was admitting very proudly that he gave up smoking. I was quite surprised that the public smoking was banned in zurich only a few years ago. That made him quit. Hearing his story about him admitting that for him it was either one cigerette or 30 and nothing in between was a solid reminder about my addition.

But the biggest irony was he was sharing the story on a dinner table with these german fellas who were drinking and appreciating and were possibilly addicted to alcohol without knowing. Even in this part of the world smoking is viewed as a bad thing but yes drinking is normal.

As I took sips of my glass of non alcoholic beer I felt like telling my story of recovering with these folks. When will the day come when we all can share stoey of our stories with common folks and they will start appreciating us without judgement like we apperciated the guy who quit smoking ?

Sad to see people in dangerous waters without even knowing whats coming ...
        Rahul
        --------------------------------------------
        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
        Rebooting ... done ...
        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Rahul, so glad you are having a good time, by the sounds of it with all the drinks around. I too wish that i could say "hello my names Linda and i had to stop drinking as i am an alcoholic" and hopefully one day there will not be the stigma attached as there is now. anyone who gives up smoking, heroin, ice/crack are always giving kudos for beating the addiction but us alkies hide away and in this day and age it is very sad. I am giving up smoking on 1st June, quit date in place, i feel i am ready now and i am sure i will get the "oh its so addictive, good on you for giving it up" but alas not so with al. Little will they know that for me giving up al was the best thing to give up.

I try not to worry about what people are drinking, we will never admit how bad our problems with al are until we are ready to stop ourselves. its like people telling me to give up smoking as they did it, well good on you sunshine but i am not ready to stop smoking even though i know the dangers for my health but now i am ready (well nearly).

Ahhhh Jane thanks for looking up to Pav and I, I look up to Dot as my inspiration, i want to get to her 8 months and well on the way to that one. Its funny how we have our reference person. I know Dot wont fail so i keep going and going and going, i dont want to beat her just walk in her footsteps.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning everyone,
            Did good Friday night. Still frustrated with DH (Ava I will take a purple brick) but still did not drink last night. Did pick up a wine glass but filled it with sparkling water. I was tempted to drink but I am doing this for me and did not want to stop feeling so good. Plus I had a date to party with my friend FF today for our Day 14! FF you kept me going as well as everyone here with their support. Was exhusted after a long week and went to bed early. Did not even have ice-ream.
            This weekend will be challenging as my son is taking me to a champagne brunch for Mother's Day. I just need to pass on the champagne (which I love) and ask for water. I feel if I get through this weekend then it will get easier.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sending brick now Dil. Good on you for being strong, there is no point in drinking AT anyone, they dont suffer the consequences like you will. Maybe you did not have ice cream as you had your quota the day before ha ha. Its great having a quit buddy, i have Pav and we are just cruising along now but it is good to have someone that shares your ups and downs along the way.

Have an orange juice or a non al mocktail and if you are worried put it in the champers glass. Byrd mentioned that she turns her glass upside down so no al is poured into it.

You are doing great dil.
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good going Dila,happy day 14! If we can do two weeks we can do anything. Enjoy your Mother's Day celebration with your son. Tonic water with ice is my go to solution if I am out, as i find straight water even if fizzy tastes too bland. Thanks for your help getting this far. It seems to make it easier having someone at the same stage to be accountable to. Lets make 30 days our next celebration.
                Hope everyone else is doing ok and has a great weekend. A bit wet and windy over here, but it beats being at work.
                I can beat this.
                Today is the day I start.
                1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Cereal & cartoons here this morning - at least for the 5 year old

CONGRATS to the 14 AF day winners Dila & FF!!!!!
                  Be very proud & just keep going

Ginger, I used to take my kids camping & it was fun but that was a LONG time ago :H
                  I may consider a little backyard camping with the grandkids, we'll see!

Rahul, glad you are hanging in yourself & observing the behavior of others. It's a good tool to help preserve your quit.

Greetings to everyone & sending wishes for a great AF Saturday!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations Dila and FF you guys are doing great! Peppersnow good to see you checking in and doing well.

Wishes for a great, positive and strong day to everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all - I just finished reading back from the past week. The past two weeks are the busiest weeks of the year where I work, with very little time at a computer, and I hate trying to read or post on my phone (need to admit defeat and finally buy some bi-focal reading glasses).

Anyway, congrats FF and Dila on your 14 days! The cravings become much more manageable aftter 14 days and your energy will begin to return if it hasn't already. Keep it up!

Frances -- No pressure intended, but you're my benchmark/crystal ball as far as occasional inspiration goes and maintaining a positive attitude about making my next milestone. I'm 11 days from Day 60, which was my downfall. Congratulations on your progress, and I hope to still be kicking post-Day 60.

Rahul, I so relate to your post, and the observations and feelings you expressed watching others drink. As I said, these past 2 weeks at work have been one bit AL festival, with lots of celebrations and free AL at every one of them, including lunches when people return to work. I've also seen people going to the drink table and holding more than one glass, both for themselves.

We had a big lunch event last week and I was sitting at a table with close friends of mine, whom I've told that I'm abstaining as part of a weight loss plan (I've lost 12 pounds since I quit AL, but have also cut out processed sugar and exercise daily). One friend said that she wanted another glass of wine, but that if she had 2 it would make her sleepy and she'd need a nap instead of returning to work. I said, "2 will make you sleepy - but trick is to have a 3rd -- the 3rd will perk you right up!" Another friend says jokingly, "Says the woman who's not drinking!" I said, "I might not be drinking, but I'm still the expert at this table" and everyone laughed really hard at that. That's when it occurred to me that they had all seen me really pound the AL, and that a few probably suspect my real reason for quitting. If I hadn't quit, I would have been the person having at least 3 glasses of wine and returning to work. Now that I'm not drinking, I'd suspect anyone who has 3 glasses of wine at lunch of having a problem. So there's another "ah-hah" moment where a curtain has been opened for me. Anyone else find those happen almost every day?

Have a great weekend everyone - hopefully with beautiful weather! :h

I hiid it really well among my family, but maybe not so much with work friends
                      Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone, back again here on Day 1. Last night I drank too much once the kids were in bed, well I started earlier then that but finished later in the evening. Don't remember going to bed, my husband coming home from his night shift. I went four days, then drank, then another two days and yesterday was supposed to be my third day. Back at it. Is it horrible to keep trying to quit and failing, or is it even worse to just give up completely and not even bother trying anymore?

Comment

Newbies Nest

mom,
                          Better to keep trying! I had lots of day ones as I think many of us have. Coming here daily helps me.
                          Hugs to you!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MomofThree,
                            Don't give up! It's better to keep trying. I wish I'd have found this site years ago when it would have made a difference for my three kids. Now they struggle with the same AL things they saw me struggling with. As a mom, I blame myself for that.

Today is a new day. Brush yourself off and make this day your first AF day. Just think of those days here and there that you were able to abstain and know if you keep trying they will all string together some day. One day of no drinking is better than no day of no drinking!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I worry about that on a daily basis, that's my fear as well. My father was an alcoholic. Are we more predispondent (sp?) to this because of it or is that just a myth? I don't want my kids growing up with this, or worse seeing it happen to them.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Momof Three, My grand dad was an alcoholic but neither of my parents drank. In fact, there was never alcohol in the house when I grew up. Two out of the three of us kids have a problem with drinking so I personally think in my case it's genetic predisposition. That's just my opinion though. I'm no dr or health provider of any kind. Just an old lady trying to finally get her $hit together before there are no days left to do it in.

Hang in there! We can help each other do this thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X