Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

May I join the Newbies?

I'm an old MWOuter who hasn't been able to beat the devil, so I want to start over in the Newbie Nest. I don't know that I ever landed here, so I guess :new: I need all the help I can get.

I posted a new thread called "I can't do it," if anyone wants to see where I am in this battle.

I'm keeping my plan simple, at this point:
    -check in the nest morning and evening
    -think of something to be grateful for every morning when I awake
    -do something, anything, when the devil comes calling

DB, I'm sending you this:l. My life is closely paralleling yours, so I understand. I've yet to bury my mother, but it looms. Do what's in front of you, and don't look ahead. Just today...
    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome back Juja. This place has been very instrumental in my quit. I can't tell you how many day ones I've had but I'm here now and it's working. Stick to your plan and listen to the nest moms they know their stuff.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome to the nest, Juja! This is the best place to get on the right track. For whatever reason, Byrdie's prizes really do make a difference . Maybe we really are kids at heart.

I read this last night:

?E.L. Doctorow said once said that 'Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.' You don't have to see where you're going, you don't have to see your destination or everything you will pass along the way. You just have to see two or three feet ahead of you. This is right up there with the best advice on writing, or life, I have ever heard.?
        ― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
        That is such an interesting take on "one day at a time". You can know your ultimate destination (sobriety) but you don't have to worry about everything at once - just follow the light.

In the nest, the people ahead of you are shining their lights to show you the way. Keep them in your sight and do what they do. After awhile, it will be what you do and you will become the light for others.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, you're right about a positive vibe here in the nest!!!!! Morning and thanks for the coffee DTD!!

Juja, glad you're back. That's a great plan you have in place. I'll be reading your "I can't do it" thread for sure.

Daisy, you're an artist! How cool. Sad but true, that by watching others, we see where we don't wanna go. It's another tool to keep us on the right track.

Great quote NS!

Byrdie recommends helping others when you can, volunteering somewhere, putting flowers anonymously on someone's doorstep. She's so right about giving! I helped a friend out yesterday in preparing to raise money for cystic fibrosis, and she was so grateful for me just cutting up lettuce! Doing little things for others is the biggest and most important thing you can do. If we all did something little, then big things can happen! Today is the walk, so I need to get my but in gear. Have a great day!
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

1 week tomorrow!

I passed the BBQ test! Sure enough, our friends came over with 2 bags full of beers. I cracked open my sparkling water and toasted everyone, proud and *somewhat* strong. Honestly though, if I didn't have this Disulfiram (Antabuse) in my system, I'm sure I would have caved and had at least one beer...
            ...and then a 2nd...
            ...and then a 3rd...
            Off to bed now with a clear head and a happy tummy.

PS. My avatar is my puppy. Today is his 6th month birthday!
            AF since May 12th, 2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Juja, a few tips for starting out. get rid of any booze in the house. Stock up on your favourite alternative drinks and lots of good food. Stay away from triggers like social events where you typically drink, identify witching hour and find a distraction. Stick with us, we've been there, we can help!
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nest!
                Great to see everyone!
                NS, what a great analogy about using our headlights at night. I wasn't sure how on Earth I was going to be able to get sober, so I just kept following Lav! I did take a leap of faith and hung on to the people that were living the life I wanted, too. So far, so good!

FreeBy, I am so happy you made it thru the BBQ! It isn't impossible to socialize without AL! It gets much easier, too. I was really stiff and quiet at first until I got my legs, now I am quite comfortable just being myself. I don't make nearly as big an ass of myself either! It's a win-win! So happy for you. I LOVE your dog!

Juja, I remember you! You've come to the right place...as you can see, we have lots of success here.
                I saw something on FaceBook yesterday that struck a chord... "I'd rather sting you with the truth than comfort you with a lie". That's sort of how we operate here....sometimes it is hard to face these demons, but we can give you the skills to beat them! Welcome aboard!

Hope everyone has an easy day!! Keep up the forward motion....don't EVER look back! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone and welcome Juja! After intending to paint all day I had lunch, sat down for a while and ended up sleeping! After 3 nights of very little sleep I had 2 great nights and then today! Shit! Couldn't believe it. I don' nap. Is that normal?
                  Anyway, very little done today so watched a movie and ate AGAIN.
                  At least I am well-fed and refreshed,,,,,,,,better get to the pool again!
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

You're doing everything just perfectly in my eyes, Daisy. Now, let's talk naps. I've always been a napper, but the difference with my naps currently as opposed to when I drank is that I take short naps and I feel refreshed. When drinking, my naps lasted a good portion of the day, then I'd get up from an extended nap and begin drinking. That was my weekend fun. Yep, no fun there. No fun at all. Your body does have to go through changes, and your sleep patterns may not be perfect, but you know what? You'll get sleep when you need it. No worries...
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just didn't expect to be so tired even after 2 good nights sleep - my body must have needed it.
                      It has been so quiet on here today ......
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yeah, Daisy, it's Sunday night. Everyone's probably getting ready for their upcoming week. But yeah, you must have needed it and it's good you could take it! And get to bed normal time if you can. Going to watch Black Box. I'm behind in my shows! Have a good night.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm following my plan, and doing my evening check-in.

Not drinking today was easy. I'm still tired, depressed, and wouldn't drink even if there were something here. My husband, from whom I separated, came by with 2 beers for himself, and we watched a movie. I wasn't even tempted by his beers, but that's the way it usually goes with me. Day 3 will be the kicker.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Byrd and Lav, I'm going to to you both like glue.

I like Doctorow's car light analogy. Thanks for posting it, NS. My whole life is like that right now: I do what's in front of me, and don't look any farther ahead.

A special thanks to Daisy for pm'ing.

Have a good week everyone.
                          "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Hey welcome back Juja!
                            Glad you decided to hop in the nest for a while. Grab on to a few tail feathers, we're only too happy to lead the way

I had a great & productive day, just the way I like them!!!
                            Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Chilly again up this way!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya, Nest:

Juja, I have a firm grip on the tail feathers of Lav, Byrdie and NoSugar, but luckily they have big tails (sorry, ladies, but I mean no disrespect!)

To the nest - I have found so much inspiration from listening to the Bubble Hour podcast. I know I talk about it a lot, but when I go walking I stick download it on my phone, and the walk serves as a meeting as well as exercise. I thought I'd share the link to the one one early sobriety - you can find it here. I haven't listened to that one, but today I listened to the one on telling your family and friends. Good stuff.

Daisy, yes, Sundays are slow around here. I like to think everyone is out and about enjoying their sober Sundays. I was tired for a while, and still sleep so hard that I wake up with sheet wrinkles on my face - a lot different than those 3:30am wake ups with anxiety and guilt.

Glad you survived the BBQ, Freeby. Each time you do that you build your sober muscles. I know it doesn't seem possibly true right now, but it really does get easier.

I survived a birthday party for my son - 15 15-year-olds at the park. My husband and I got to just sit and talk for three hours - something we really haven't done in a long time since having kids. It was very nice - I told him a lot about MWO and the process I am following to get and stay sober. I had an idea that he didn't realize how serious I am or how bad I was. It was a wonderful conversation and confirmation that I married the right guy. (I need that every now and then...)

Sleep tight, Nesters. Happy Sober Sunday (that's Munday to you, Dreamy).

xo
                              Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi guys, I'm new. I've only posted in the Meds section so far. I'm a 2 bottle of wine a day alco...reasonably high functioning except that I'm fat and miserable from booze. I'm on a clinical trial for Baclofen at the moment, not sure it's working yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X