Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Ava, can't say I know kids (so called normals anyway) but if it helps to share what was the argument over? And yes chocolate has antideppresant qualities, used to laugh about wine and chocolate being good for your health 'til I went too far. As for honesty ... :-) good on you.
    “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
    Newbies Nest Roll Call
    Toolbox
    Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Juju,
      Great job today!
      Ava, Great job too. Kids, no matter what age are a challenge. You handled it well.
      Ava and K9, Bring on the bitch, if it gets you NF. I had six sisters growing up, I think I can handle it. LOL
      Pav, thanks for the grieving repost.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1662982 wrote: Good Morning, Nesters!
        All this talk about knees has me longing for the good ole days....where I could bend, squat and hop....enjoy your knees while you have them! :H

Something I DON'T miss are the shakes! Sarah, I'm certainly not a doctor (I'm a salesperson for Pete's Sake!) but if you have some time today, google Essential Tremors. A lot of folks on this site have them and they are not AL related at all. If you think back in your family tree, do you remember someone who trembled? My aunt and grandmother (dad's side) did. I take a med for it and it helped THE NEXT DAY! Not only did it calm the tremors, but it calmed the agitation in my head, too. Primidone is what I take and it made a big difference. Did you try to draw a spiral and to walk heel to toe (while totally sober?) if you are miserable at both, it's something to consider. Believe me, when I was first diagnosed, I thought it was a free pass to DRINK to alleviate them...AL doesn't fix anything, it makes it worse. Believe me, no one understands more than I do about clinging to it. Maybe that's why I'm so good at seeing what others are going thru...I WAS THAT person who thought she was different....I WAS going to beat this thing and get control over it. I literally TRIED EVERYTHING to make AL work. If was tough to admit that I am an alcoholic, but alas, I am. There is only one thing worse than being a recovering Alkie and that is being an alkie who's not. Giving up AL was the BEST thing I ever did AND the scariest. I was entrenched in its grip. I thought it made life worth living....that is the big lie AL tells us. It will tell us absolutely anything to LIVE within us. If you have Essential Tremors, trust me, taking a pill every day is a LOT easier than trying to drink it away. My liver thanks me every day. I just went to the dr yesterday and he said I have the blood work of an 18 year old! (then he looked up and saw me!!!) Bah!
        I say, the ship is going down....get off it before it drags you down with it!! You will never be sorry! Man the lifeboats!! Start today, get all of it out of the house and join us that have gone before you! Do you see any of us miserable?? It is totally do-able and not nearly as bad as you think!!! Jump on board, we've got you!!! xxxoo, Byrdie
        Byrdie...I'm going to Google this now! My great aunt and one of my uncles did this, but I always thought it was arthritis (which I have as well)...and this would explain why my handwriting is so bad during the day, but gets much better after a couple of drinks! It seems to be 'just' in my wrists...not all over as someone suggested. Gonna go Google it now and will get back to ya'll and read more here asap!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!
        Love, Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Please see your neurologist and not just Google. I've spent enough time working on the psych unit that I know it's better to rule out the other possibilities ASAP.
          “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
          Newbies Nest Roll Call
          Toolbox
          Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah42;1663176 wrote: Byrdie...I'm going to Google this now! My great aunt and one of my uncles did this, but I always thought it was arthritis (which I have as well)...and this would explain why my handwriting is so bad during the day, but gets much better after a couple of drinks! It seems to be 'just' in my wrists...not all over as someone suggested. Gonna go Google it now and will get back to ya'll and read more here asap!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!
            Love, Sarah
            Well I'll be a monkey's uncle Byrdie!!! Just Googled and so it seems this is me too! I will try the spiral drawing and heel to toe thing tomr a.m. I did notice this happens more often after 2 cups or so of coffee. Also, my g'mt was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few years before she passed away. Looks like Tremadone is an Herbal Supp to help...did you ever try it? I just 'knew' I hadn't drank enough to get the 'shakes' as I've been drinking for 15+ yrs and now drinking less! Shakes just starting happening a few days ago, and I just turned 43 last Friday...and they say it's common in 40+ yr olds. It just makes sense this 'could' be it. In no way am I trying to say that continuing to drink is ok...it's not...I'll tackle that too, but I needed to look further into the problem as it just didn't make sense it was AL w/d to me...

Os- don't worry...I'm not self-diagnosing. I went to nursing school a couple of years and I know enough to know I need to consult a Dr. about this, and I will. I would prefer Herbal supps if there is something out there that works, but I will certainly talk to my Dr. about it.

Thanks all! Gonna read back now!

Love, Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Always preferred CAM myself. The nurses I've worked with weren't that keen on it but it always worked as long as you payed attention to the research. Despite the fact that they accused me of trying to be my own doc. Course thanks to AL my bp has been topped. Been perfect thanks to my acupuncturist but ... let us know either way. Worrying is in my nature. If I can help one more person ...

Newbies Nest
              Newbies Nest Roll Call
              Toolbox
              Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Newbies Nest

There is an intruder hidden in my fridge! It was placed hidden in a bag by the other adult who lives in this house. I don?t want to drink it but I don?t like that it is there. It is starring at me and mocking me! I hate it! It is an evil temptress. I haven?t looked at it because it might be something that I really like, a verdejo, a cava, something light and fruity. I don?t want it there. Go away, Leave me alone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just reading over some of yesterdays posts. Hoping for success for all of you stopping smoking. I think you guys are so brave to take on 2 addictions, can?t imagine giving up my diet coke habit on top of the booze. Available, hang in there, kids throw daggers at us and play on our emotions especially when they know we feel so darn guilty about everything! I hope you go see a real neuroligist Sarah. Go and figure it out once and for all! Put your mind at ease, come up with a plan with a true professional so that you can feel better. You deserve it! All you funny girls with your jog bras, I need a jog bra for my bootie, wish I could move some of my trunk up front! Hang in there everyone today, It?s hump day, which usually brings out the worst in me. Big medical day for me too, so x your fingers and kiss your elbows. Real nervous at what the doc might say but regaurdless, that temptress will remain in the bag, unlooked at, untouched and undesired!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just reading over some of yesterdays posts. Hoping for success for all of you stopping smoking. I think you guys are so brave to take on 2 addictions, can?t imagine giving up my diet coke habit on top of the booze. Available, hang in there, kids throw daggers at us and play on our emotions especially when they know we feel so darn guilty about everything! I hope you go see a real neuroligist Sarah. Go and figure it out once and for all! Put your mind at ease, come up with a plan with a true professional so that you can feel better. You deserve it! All you funny girls with your jog bras, I need a jog bra for my bootie, wish I could move some of my trunk up front! Hang in there everyone today, It?s hump day, which usually brings out the worst in me. Big medical day for me too, so x your fingers and kiss your elbows. Real nervous at what the doc might say but regaurdless, that temptress will remain in the bag, unlooked at, untouched and undesired!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Orimus;1663194 wrote: Always preferred CAM myself. The nurses I've worked with weren't that keen on it but it always worked as long as you payed attention to the research. Despite the fact that they accused me of trying to be my own doc. Course thanks to AL my bp has been topped. Been perfect thanks to my acupuncturist but ... let us know either way. Worrying is in my nature. If I can help one more person ...
                      Sorry for my stupidity, but what is CAM?

Comment

Newbies Nest

BB- good luck on your dr exam and otherwise!

Ava- never really thought that 10 drinks in 3 days (avgs out less than 3 drinks a day) was too much???

Pav- thanks so much for your posts!!

Dila- hang in there girlie you are doing well!

FF- WOW did you take the bull by the horns and show him whose boss or what?? Great job!!

j-vo- your continued information and support means sooo much to me. Thank you!!

Byrdie- I almost want to think we were Twins -somehow separated at birth. Been reading all night on the ET...and gained alot of info.

To everyone else I didn't mention, plz know that I read EVERYTHING u say, and take it to heart. Thank you to all of you. This is a great place to be!

Love, Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes Sarah 3 drinks a day is not recommended for women. Maybe you should try not drinking to see if the shakes disappear before taking meds etc even if herbal and see your doctor.

Well today was a test of my resolve and determination in not drinking. It started as i was walking out the door with my son saying i owed him money as he paid a bill which was his and my other sons to pay. Not a great start to the day, next i forgot my reading glasses and since i am on the computer all day, not a great start to the day. Work was just frantic from 8am onwards and blind as a bat Ava was starting to get stressed, that was in between the arguing with my son via text. I got to the stage where i was so upset and stressed that i told him not to talk to me when i got home, i could not handle it today. That al brain was starting to tell me that a bottle of wine would be a great stress relief, go on have that bottle, you deserve it, you have had the worst day in a long time, so just do it, go on, it wont hurt. Ava was starting to think, oh fuck it, why not, cant get any worse. No Ava wont drink but Ava will buy a bottle and sit and look at it and tell her son that this is what he is driving her to do. Logical? I think not! Put the blame on someone else, i think not. If Ava drank it was due to Ava giving in, it was her choice to drink and no one elses. I have learnt that months ago the blame would totally be on my shoulders.

Then out of all the shit a patients mother offered me her glasses (not script) and i gratefully accepted as i had work coming out my ears. That act of kindness made me feel so much better, that lovely lady, when she was ready to leave with her son told me to keep them and she would pick them up tomorrow. I just wanted to cry.

Oh next a patient came for an assessment, he went to the toilet in the city on Monday and came out with no memory, none, doesnt know his age, did not know his name, does not know where he lives and says he was born in 1971. If he was, he has had a really really hard life (he is late 60's). This man broke down and cried in anger and frustration so i went and sat with him and gave him a cuddle and i just thought "my life's problems are nothing compared to this mans".

In waffling on, i am saying to you newbies that nothing is worth having a drink for as there is always something good that you can find other than al. I knew today that al would not solve my problems but i let my anger, stress and frustration get to me until these beautiful souls showed me that I am okay. I do want a drink tonight but i posted on here earlier and i am here now and tomorrow is the start of another day in my sober life. I had so many people to drink AT today but i also had so many reasons not to drink.

Sorry for waffling and keep strong everyone
                          xxxx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ava, so well done for staying strong. You're an inspiration to many here, me included. Thank you!!!

Tomorrow is another day, and will be a better day. Promise

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ava,
                              You are right, Al does not help your anger, stress and frustration. I'm learning that daily. Great post to help us all stay strong.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ava--Kudos for dealing with the stress w/o AL. Also, it's amazing being mindful the little, good things--kind people--can put things in perspective. I was so stressed out yesterday morning over family crap, dreading working closely with a co-worker, and my marriage woes, that all I could think about during the day was a glass of chilled chardonnay. Well, the co-worker was on good behavior, work helped me forget my other problems, and voila, I made it. Also, I hope you'll be physically stronger soon.

BB--I'm anxious about your medical exam. You'll keep us posted, right? Also, can you make a no AL rule for your house?

Sarah--I was thinking familial or essential tremor, too. My aunt and father have it. It doesn't necessarily lead to Parkinson's, I don't think. Get thee to a dr!

j-vo and Moss--You two have great insight, and write very well. I love reading your posts. And, thanks.

Everyone else--I can't track back any farther to comment, as I've forgotten how to manipulate this site. So keep up the good fight today, or, just let it roll off. Whichever works.

I think I need to make notes on paper so I can reply to each and everyone of you. Know I'm with you.:l
                                "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Working...
                                X