Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone - just checking in - ball games today and a cookout with the team later in the evening - I will come with my own AF drinks!

Hope everyone has a great day :-)

Frances

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pavati;1664352 wrote: Hi, Nest:

Glad you made it through a tough day, Juja. My favorite way to relax is to exercise first. I also downloaded a meditation app called "Calm." Quick, 10 - 20 minute meditations that help.

She read a lot of books about finding herself, hung out with me a lot, wrote in a journal and slowly started figuring out what the future holds for her. ... she is meeting many new people and getting in shape, too. I am certain that whatever you settle in to, drinking alcohol would make it harder to find.

Pav
      All of the above!

I don't understand why I can't stop my busyness, and go for a walk. One reason I drank was to stop the manic activity. I can't sit still long enough to meditate. I've never been diagnosed as bipolar, and don't believe I am, but something keeps me moving. (My older sister and father are the same way, btw.) I get so excited about things I want to accomplish, that I never slow down. I feel joy, and and a sense of satisfaction, when I complete a task. Go figure. I'll never be a couch potato, that's for sure. I do wish I could channel that energy into physical fitness, however. I'd love to be strong, and in shape. Maybe that will come.

Two days left to a long weekend! Yay! I hope everyone is enjoying it. Keep the AL at bay, and go to work on Tuesday, grateful and fulfilled.

Gardening today. I think I'll pick up some tonic water and limes for an after-digging-planting party.

Love to all--:lipstick::lipstick::lipstick:
      "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone! Quiet around here - I hope all are having a wonderful weekend, whether its a long one or a regular 2 day where you're at.

Juja, congratulations!! You're doing awesome, considering the emotional load of everything else you're going through.

Daisy, good luck with that mountain today - what an impressive thing to do. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Sarah, I so appreciate how you think of everyone else in your posts and always have something encouraging to say, so thank you for that. And way to go Juja, Dila and everyone else who is doing a Holiday weekend AL free for the first time.

Family is staying with us this long weekend, and I've been really nervous about telling him for a bunch of reasons (they are very fit people and normal drinkers). When my brother was making a booze run yesterday and asked what I wanted, my husband walked past us and yelled out. "she's on the wagon" before I could say anything! Made me laugh because DH and I've never really talked about it, but I know he likes these changes in me so I think he was trying to be helpful.

Anyway, it went okay. I went with "health reasons", which they were happy about, as they're super fit and I'm super not. I've lost 16 pounds since I quit drinking (40 to go) so my SIL, who is a doctor, was much more interested in the whole package of changes. To keep up "health reasons" appearances early on, I went gluten-free (beer) and sugar-free (wine) so she was more into the holistic improvements discussion and the list of symptoms that have gone away for me with the changes. Anyway it was fine.

I did NOT explain that I'm a huge drunk and am doing this because I knew I was going to die, didn't even care, and was just waiting for it to happen. But to stay accountable, I just thought I'd better come on-line today and be straight about that with all of you. I'm really amazed that just 2 months later I want to live very badly and am loving my life again. We had a bon-fire last night and I was the only adult not drinking, and I had FUN!

Frances - 90 days is coming up - am excited for you!! Also, Rahul - I loved, loved, loved your post and you have inspired me to know that fun is possible on the wagon. Thx for that!!

Happy weekend to all :h
        Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahul, what a great story!!!!! That is so awesome. I'm happy for you and I'll be reading that again! Thanks for sharing how not drinking in that type of situation can bring so much good! Wow!

Juju, good for you! Keep on truckin'!

Daisy, glad to hear the night went well.

Sarah, hopefully this will bring you closer to getting off the booze altogether.

Pepper, I don't think people need to know all the gory details, but it's nice for them to see how well you're doing. That's what's important. Glad you had fun last night!

Off to church. Will pray for all NNer's. Have a great AF Sunday.
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Eva'body!
            Good to see everyone checking in. Sunny, 77* and gorgeous outside! I'm planning on getting out there and enjoying it, AF of course!
            Stay strong and make it a great day! XXOO, Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Where do I start?! Feck me, I am being sooo positive and jumping into whatever comes my way....
              Today I got up early to a dreary looking day - really thought the climb would have been cancelled. It was still on so off we went. My daughters and I met about 30 others and got on our way up that fecking mountain!
              It was tough right from the start.....sweat was pishin off me! Took a couple of wee rests on a boulder if I found one. Very gruelling, relentless, uphill trek. It was overcast, walking in a cloud so cold and miserable. Couldn't enjoy the view as visibility was poor.
              Walking through puddles but managing ok......then felt something wierd underfoot - the complete sole of my feckin hiking boots was hangin off......plodded on and sat down again - same on other foot! Hadn't used them for about 5 years ......rubber must have disintegrated or something.....
              That was it....my hike was done; until my cousin appears with an extra pair of trainers in my size....SHIT! Would happily have gone back down as I was not enjoying it.
              Anyway, plodded on, stepping in puddles and rivers, water slushing inside the trainers......feck, how far is this? Another cousin pointed out just how much more and I was deflated....along comes my cousins wife heading downhill - she had surgery 6 weeks ago and wasn't able to continue - I had enough and joined her. On route, rained and rained. I had left my coat in my daughters rucksack - she was long gone towards the summit. My arm and hand stiffened and I couldn't move my fingers. Put sweatshirt on and jumped about so got that sorted....
              Tough trek back down; took a route by a gushing, dangerous river; a bit frightening and when we got back on the path, found we were lost.......ploughed on until eventually came across 3 men who pointed us in the right direction. Eventually found somewhere we recognised and were happy.......until......looked down and the bumbag from round my waist had disappeared.
              Tried to go over my tracks but was impossible in a forest area.......so, my mobile phone, 20 quid, cigarettes and bumbag.......feck, what next?
              I heard wild deer roaring nearby and said to my walking partner 'the only apt way for this day to end is if I get mounted by a feckin buck deer!' We did have a laugh because the whole thing was crazy.
              Back down, freezing, raining. Thank goodness my sister was at the bottom with her car and cigarettes....my keys were also in daughters bag! Aaaaaagh!
              So, everyone else went to the top; a rare thing that I did not finish.......home barefoot, cash, phone and cigs MIA! I don't give a fiddler's feck if I never see up that feckin mountain again!
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

It probably didn't seem funny at the time, Daisy, but you account of your (mis)adventure is great! Glad you are safe and sound and sober!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, Daisy! What a picture you paint! I think you cured me from that niggling thought that I "should" go hiking. Think I'll pass!
                  You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

well Daisy thanks for the chuckle when i woke up this morning. Sounds like a great day NOT but hey you did not drink and you are safe and sound.
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi I'm new here. I want to stop drinking, today is my first day af. Drink just does not suit me, my emotions are shattered.

Maria

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh Daisy, what an adventure, it does sound like a complete nightmare!! Perhaps that will be the last time you climb a mountain?
                        Maria you are in the right place, this is a very supportive forum!
                        New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome aboard, Maria! We can help you get this monkey off your back once and for all! Be sure to take a read thru the tool box ( link below). There are 100's of tips and coping skills to help you. I would have never dreamed I could be sober over 3 years now, but anything is possible with some help from friends!

Daisy, gosh, Im so sorry about your experience with that mountain, i hope someone contacts you with your phone and money! What are the odds about those shoes??!! Glad you are now safe and dry!

DD, so good to see you! Hope you are feeling good! Hugs to everyone. Byrdie !
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Daisy, you really should publish your story somewhere
                            Sorry you had such a shitty hike but everything is OK, right?

Hello & welcome Maria!
                            Hope you have found the Tool box & started reading thru for help & inspiration. Stick close to the nest & let us know when you get your plan together!

Greetings to everyone tonight & sending wishes for a safe night in the nest for all

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Daisy, you really should publish your story somewhere
                              Sorry you had such a shitty hike but everything is OK, right?

Hello & welcome Maria!
                              Hope you have found the Tool box & started reading thru for help & inspiration. Stick close to the nest & let us know when you get your plan together!

Greetings to everyone tonight & sending wishes for a safe night in the nest for all

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm not reading any previous posts, and here's my confession.

My husband showed up tonight, sobbing, extremely depressed, and with beer, and I succumbed. I tried my damdnest, but I was shaking, and wanted a way to say the things that needed to be said, but I couldn't ignore the cooler with beer. I wasn't far enough along in my quit to ignore a marriage that has ended.

He wanted to know if I loved him, and might come home. The answer was no. It was awful. I tried to ignore the AL, but I was shaking due to words that needed to be spoken, and so I blew it.

That's it. Tomorrow's another day.

Here's to a lousy night's sleep, and learning to be honest, though someone will be hurt.
                                "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Working...
                                X