Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I'm just on my way into work on a beautiful day, and I was thinking of a few things I'm glad of...
    Glad I don't sleep through loads of alarms because I was drinking until god-knows-when o'clock
    Glad I dont need to worry about how bloodshot my eyes look
    Glad I don't need to avoid my boss and eat breath mints throughout the day because of the smell of alcohol on my breath
    Glad I don't need to keep my distance from customers for the same reason
    Glad I don't need to worry (far too early in the day) about how I'm going to afford my drink that evening.
    Glad I can hold something without my hand shaking like crazy

This list will come in handy next time I feel like I want a drink I think.

Minderaser

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Mind, day 9 and going strong. Tomorrow is kayak day, sigh. I think I am most worried about now having fun. But I love to kayak.

I love the "I'm glad". I too am becoming my sharp self again. Less befuddled thinking. Why did I ever drink? I can't think of a reason now.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cherokeer, that is exactly how I felt in the first couple of weeks - I was so relieved.......enjoy those days when you are on that natural high......why not? And post how you feel - it is good for people to see that there are positives and happy days.....good for you!
        Ava, hope your coffee date goes well.....how did you meet him? I am so nosy......
        Feeling back to normal again - whatever normal is.....anyway, day 25 for me. Just after midnight last night I had a knock at my door. My neighbour on her way home from a night out - had to listen to her talking shite and being loud for nearly 2 hours......she woke my girls......
        She was happy talking away even though I was yawning and bored....she didn't even notice! Had to tell her I was going to bed.......to think I would have sat up all night with these people..........what my poor children must have listened to over the years.......
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters and Good Morning!

Proud to say I've got day #1 behind me and woke up this morning to see an incredible sober sunrise. So much so that I cried tears of joy and hugged myself. Happy to see some new faces on here as well as Lav, Juja and Daisy 45. Juja, YES, let's do this and really start LIVING!
          Lav, yes, my plan is to revisit the Toolbox, read this and other sober living sites (found a few interesting sober women's journey blogs last night and saved the links), maybe even start writing one of my own!

Today, I am off from work. I plan to keep busy, clean the house, walk the dog, EAT, go to the gym, maybe get a much needed pedicure. I am also trying to eat dinner earlier. Once I eat something, I no longer have the craving for my glass of chardonnay (or 4). So, I have lots of healthy snacks lined up and a cupboard brimming full of herbal teas. I do feel much better this morning. Hopeful, peaceful, free. Thank you for all of your support and I send the same out to all of you! Enjoy this beautiful day!
          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
          :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cherokeer;1668600 wrote: I feel a little lame since it is only eight days to express too much exuberance. I don't want anyone to say its only 8 days don't get too over-excited about yourself. I'm not sprouting the impressive numbers like many here are. But every day I get a little more giddy and a little more of my dignity back. Don't ever feel like you've not done much, Cherokeer! Each day AF is an accomplisment and your 8 days seem like an eternity to someone who can't make it a day. No one here will ever diminish what you've done - we'll celebrate it!

Mein Sonnenschein;1668643 wrote:
            Hello Nest. I'm still here, not giving up. Today is my last Day 1. I had an incredible talk with my shrink yesterday. It made me realize that despite my issues with AL, I'm still a good person. Living without AL will hopefully make me an even better person. I'm happy to be here.
            I'm so gald to see you again! AL kills our self-image and confidence until we don't think we're even worth the effort it takes to set ourselves free. But all of us -including you! - are. You are a good person now and time AF will let you see that for yourself. And the more you love yourself, the more you'll have for the world around you and that is when life really gets better.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters, happy Friday to all

Great to see so many happy & positive people posting. Every day without AL is a good day regardless of what's going on around us.

Sarah, I'm guessing but it sounds like you need to learn to let go of things. We just cannot control anything going on around us but we can control how we react! I had to learn this the hard way myself, I'm not kidding. The Serenity Prayer is a useful tool

I have lots going on today & need to be on my toes!
              Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Friday - we all can do this

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mein Sonnenschein;1668643 wrote: If I still in front of the computer I'll just sink into my depression.
                If it's any consolation, Mein, the same thing happens to me. Even if I'm not depressed, I will be eventually if I stay with this thing too long. And to think I once would have had a cup of coffee, and then walked 2 miles. Instead, I'm on the laptop for 2 hours. This habit might have to change....hmmm.

Oh, you're not a bad person. Balderdash! You feel like that, but you aren't.

Cherokeer, I'll be thinking about you this weekend.

Blondie, Careful with too many plans at once. You might want to pace yourself--do some today, some tomorrow, and relax in between. I work myself into a frenzy, and then run to wine to stop the busyness. But, you know yourself, so do what's best for you. You sound good, btw.

I feel great this morning. What a beautiful day we're to have.

Love to all.
                "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Juja, good advice. Maybe I'll skip the cleaning Yes, it certainly is a beautiful day!
                  Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

Comment

Newbies Nest

PS, I've just spent the morning requesting books at my library network, which I plan to use to fill my void in the evenings. Hubby likes to watch TV but I'm a reader...or at least I used to be before my drinking career. Now I am anxious to get back to bedtime reading...a hot cup of tea and my cats. Love to all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

wagmore;1668575 wrote: So, I'm a bit concerned about this coming Saturday. Nutshell version: I was in a long-term relationship (15+ years) that ended very painfully about 5 years ago. I finally started dating again last summer, using alcohol as my social lubricant or liquid courage. I've been taking a break from dating for the past few months as I went through withdrawal/detox and have focused on staying sober.

This Sat I'm supposed to go to a singles picnic. I'm not worried that I'll drink, I'm worried that I will chicken out and not go. I never "dated" like this when I was younger, I just met people thru work and friends. The alcohol made me "brave" last summer, but I am resolved not to drink.

How have others here faced things sober that they previously did only with liquid courage? Any advice or suggestions?
                      Morning, Wags!
                      I used AL as a social crutch, too. I am in sales, and while it may be hard to believe, I am very shy. Using AL to 'loosen up' was my go-to solution! Here is what I have learned looking in the rear-view mirror. AL is THE BIG LIE. If you could put up a hidden camera and look at yourself after a couple drinks, I bet you would be APPALLED! What AL makes us think is CHARM and WIT is actually obnoxious behavior!! I tell you, the YOU you thought AL brought out is still in there! Only NOW, it is socially appropriate! I cringe at what I did at social outings....UGG!!! Hell, now I just ACT drunk! If everyone else is talking loud, I crank it up, too! It's still 1000 times better than actually BEING drunk! It will prolly be awkward your first few times...but like any other SKILL, it will improve the more you do it. Now I am just as comfortable as I EVER was drinking....more so! I don't lose control now! It is amazing freedom....you will get your confidence!! The social you is in there just begging to get out!!! We believe in you!!

Sarah, when I was forced to quit, I was facing a marriage of 24 years ending if I didn't shape up. It was unimaginable stress at that time. I will tell you this, YOU CAN DO IT. The voice in your head telling you this is not the right time? That's AL. The voice telling you that you will not make it? ALCOHOL. That nagging inside you that maybe next week, or next year when things settle down? Yep, AL. AL will give you a 100 excuses to keep him alive. But at the end of it all, that's all they are...excuses to keep drinking. I had to stop bullshitting myself, and I had to do it THAT DAY. Start today. Anything or any voice that says otherwise is bullshit! Get all the AL out of the house and claim your life back! No more excuses! NO MORE AL. AL has taken it's last day from you! It has robbed all it's going to get from Sarah! Take your life back and accept nothing less! You can do this, if I can do it, I KNOW you can. Today! D-Day. June 6 is YOUR day!

Blonde, great to see you!! Welcome back!!

Hope everyone has a great Friday! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, it's evening here in Germany, and the start of a three day weekend. Hubs is at the golf course, where he usually is every evening. It's really lonely here in the house. Just feeling sad and crying. I don't have the desire to do anything, not even drink. These feelings just suck.
                        Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

You golf, don't you? Do you ever go with him anymore? That sounds better than being alone :l.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah42;1668630 wrote: This was a stupid time to stop.
                            Sarah, there is no such thing.

MS so sorry you are feeling this way. Yes, getting out to go do something is a very good idea. Maybe you can think of something you enjoy doing and go do it?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah, there is never a perfect time to start anything. We just start even with skinned knees and runny noses blood shot eyes and . . . . well, you get the picture. I would suggest that you open up a little bit about what is going on. Don't minimize what is troubling you because of what you have already decided others will think. Don't do that to yourself. Whatever is going on in our lives is very much a part of the drinking lifestyle that we have been living.
                              “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                              Newbies Nest Roll Call
                              Toolbox
                              Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi frances, Hi NS... Yes, I also play golf. I'm just a bit out of practice. I fell while skiing in April and ended up with a brace on my hand for seven weeks. So I'm getting back into it. Hubs and are are not getting along at the moment. I would blame AL, but I know the fault is mine. Just another reason to stop drinking.
                                Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Working...
                                X