Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Cherokeer;1668896 wrote: I'm sad that I'm a lame ass drunk who let alcohol take over. That is how I felt about it, too - that I had let it happen - but the truth is, by the time there is a recognizable problem, the addiction is strong enough that quitting isn't so simple. This way of thinking also feeds into my control issues - as if something can't happen to me unless I allow it. So, no, you aren't a LAD who just rolled over for alcohol. You were a person who engaged in a common and encouraged behavior and for several reasons - biochemical, emotional, psychological - became addicted.

So as everyone is excitedly talking about their "trip drink" of choice.
    From this new perspective, I think that is kind of sad.

I've found many activities to be so much more fun now - I'm totally present and involved, unworried, and not self-conscious. You might find some kayaking skills tomorrow you forgot you even had. Have fun!

Comment

Newbies Nest

available;1668596 wrote: Wag, funny you should say that. i am going on a coffee date this afternoon and i have kept to myself for about 5 months now. its scary not having liquid courage but i am of the opinion that i never met a decent man drunk so i have a better chance sober maybe. I like the new sober Linda and if he doesnt then it is his loss. I talk alot so we wont have lack of conversation and it might even be intelligent instead of the "witty" al fueled talk (not that it was witty i can imagine). Be yourself and be proud you are af and can be in a situation that you dont need to drink to enjoy yourself. i do know if this does not work out that i am totally able to drive home. I am not overthinking or i am trying not too as we never know what is going to happen when we go anywhere let alone on a date. Have fun.
      Thanks for your support and sharing. I might have missed if you already posted this, but how did things go with your coffee date?
      Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wag it went really well, he just asked me if i drank and i said no, i did not elaborate. He doesnt drink at all and what a plus that is. It was funny as he was a genuinely nice man and the insecure alcoholic Linda is having a hard time digesting that someone could like me for me but i am sure i am a much more nicer and together person that what i was when i was a drunk, planning on my escape to drink more. The nice news is i will be seeing him again. So good luck and dont forget to let us know.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone! Lovely to see another sober sunrise. Saturday mornings in the past have been a painful one at times. Add to that that I have to go to work early (retail), most Saturdays started out pretty shitty and then by noon time, I was hankering for the day to be over so I could go home, drink and do it all over again. I'm sure most of you know the routine. It's so liberating to break free of that! There is so much more to life than getting high. Now I have my evenings free to do other, more productive things...drinking is such a waste and harm.

Well, that's my rant for the day. Hope you all have a beautiful weekend!
          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
          :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone... I thought I'd pop in and say hi... need to connect with some of you sober ladies again.. Im going good... just feeling like I want to check in. XX
            ~Fleur23~
            "Saw the light" in August 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ava, so glad it went well.....such a bonus that he doesn't drink.....exciting!!!
              Day 26 - I drank after getting 26 days in February so this will be a personal one to get past.....after a mid-week wobbler I feel ok again.
              We had our show last night and it was great - standing ovation! Such a joy to be part of it.......ye' know, there is something so special about these people......the adults with disabilities are child-like, innocent; the children, both able-bodied and disabled, are just adorable anyway.......seeing the happiness and big smiles on their faces when they came off-stage; they would clap their hands in excitement at going on again......Felt like I was privvy to a little bit of Heaven.....their bright eyes, full of love and happiness.....
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

chat anyone???

Im in the chat room at the moment... does anyone want to come in and have a natter??
                Its about 730 am American EST. Ill wait for 10 minutes or so...
                ~Fleur23~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone,

I am feeling a little better today. I spent the night with the boyfriend, our relationship is still very fragile at present. I have put lots of energy into making amends and doing nice things for him over the past two weeks, but last night he said he didn't like it and he felt I was been overpowering and treating him like a baby. There is probably some truth in that, I have been trying so hard to save the relationship. Well, I'm finished trying to make amends now, I explained, said sorry, made amends and now its time to focus on me. I am drained from it all and I know that if I dont focus on myself, I will be back drinking.

I need to plan my days and keep busy. I suffer from lonliness as well as anxiety.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Maria... you are doing the right thing I think. One thing you need to do is to find things to do that you enjoy.. something new maybe.. do a little course or join a volunteer group. Listen to some relaxation tapes too. Good luck
                    ~Fleur23~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

I have a busy day ahead which is a good thing

Fleur, hope you are doing well!

Maria, I understand your feelings about your boyfriend. Once we make apologies we really do need to focus on healing ourselves. Self-forgiveness is all part of the process so get started on that today

Hello to everyone & I hope we all have a great AF Saturday!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

anyone want to pop into the chat room??? its 815 am American EST
                        ~Fleur23~

Comment

Newbies Nest

I would love to chat but I cant on this laptop for some reason, tried and I dont have the necessary software to all me to chat here. BTW, hello from Ireland, its just after 1pm here

Comment

Newbies Nest

No worries Maria... Ive logged out of the room anyhow... no one came in.. thought it was worth a try... I was in the chatty mood LOL... how are you?
                            ~Fleur23~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, I'm soon to be off to my first AF kayak trip. Feeling strong and determined on day 10.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Stay strong, Cherokeer....I am almost always the only non drinker in a crowd, so it does take some getting used to, but I'd rather be known as a non drinker than what I used to be....an out of control alkie. As I have said many times, the only thing worse than being a recovering alkie is NOT being one!! Enjoy your trip and just know that AL does NOT make the occasion....it's the people and places. What's in your glass does not make the memory. You will be so glad you came out the other side!!

Fleur, GREAT to see you!!!
                                Ava, congrats on the date!

We are getting a new bedroom set today and in moving the old one out, I dropped the box spring on my big toe....it hurts like a @#$%%! Dang it.

Everyone is doing so well, keep up the great work!!! Zero Tolerance! That's the only way to get this job done!!! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X