Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

x-post Frances...

Sorry to hear about the funk. For me it has helped a ton to just start one new social thing that I enjoy tremendously. I had to try several things before finding the one that best fit my schedule and interests, but now it makes me happy and actually more efficient/productive with work/family. Keep looking - you'll find something new and motivating!
    Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

frances;1672560 wrote:
      I've been a little 'flat' lately. So happy to not be drinking but just feeling a little bored. I need to find some things to do that I enjoy doing. The problem is, I really don't have time. Days are filled with work and evenings and weekends with commitments with the kids. There is very rarely an evening off. Oh well, I know this will pass all too soon and I will be wistfully remembering these busy times with the kids! So I'll stop complaining. I just need to snap out of whatever little funk I'm in.
      Hi, Frances. I tend to go on and on about this topic so I'll try to be brief . When we're actively drinking, we totally screw up the receptors in our brain that register "pleasure". Alcohol is such a strong signal that to deal with all that noise that is just too much, our receptors get down-regulated (an analogy I heard was sticking your fingers in your ears when sirens are going off). The analogy kind of falls apart, though, because when the siren (alcohol) is removed, we can't just take our fingers out of our ears! It takes time to upregulate the "pleasure chemical" receptors and until all that healing occurs, many of us feel flat (or worse). There aren't enough functioning receptors and the loud "noise" that can stimulate what receptors we have is gone (thank goodness). I felt that way around 4-6 months and I think that was the time frame during which Pav had that experience, also. So, hang in there - your brain will heal and you'll start feeling a broader range of emotions from "normal" life events .

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1672566 wrote: Hi, Frances. I tend to go on and on about this topic so I'll try to be brief . When we're actively drinking, we totally screw up the receptors in our brain that register "pleasure". Alcohol is such a strong signal that to deal with all that noise that is just too much, our receptors get down-regulated (an analogy I heard was sticking your fingers in your ears when sirens are going off). The analogy kind of falls apart, though, because when the siren (alcohol) is removed, we can't just take our fingers out of our ears! It takes time to upregulate the "pleasure chemical" receptors and until all that healing occurs, many of us feel flat (or worse). There aren't enough functioning receptors and the loud "noise" that can stimulate what receptors we have is gone (thank goodness). I felt that way around 4-6 months and I think that was the time frame during which Pav had that experience, also. So, hang in there - your brain will heal and you'll start feeling a broader range of emotions from "normal" life events .
        To tag onto NS's comments, I have found exercise to be tremendously helpful for my brain and feeling happiness/pleasure. I've worked out consistently most of my life, but it's so much more effective without the AL going in. Different types of exercise work best for different people. I personally get the best "endorphin kick" from intervals (HIIT or similar).

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Frances,

I know we are in the ssme boat. I also read and learned frok no sugar. I sometimes back posted this where I compared brain and its receptors to a windmill. Please read this post https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ill-91661.html
          Rahul
          --------------------------------------------
          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
          Rebooting ... done ...
          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you - NS very good to know that it is 'normal' AND will pass! That in itself makes me feel better if only for the moment. And thanks for your input Wag - very helpful - thank you!

Comment

Newbies Nest

x post Rahul I will take a look at your post thank you!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1672584 wrote: Hi Frances,

I know we are in the ssme boat. I also read and learned frok no sugar. I sometimes back posted this where I compared brain and its receptors to a windmill. Please read this post https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ill-91661.html
                Thanks for sharing the link to your 60-day post Rahul. Great analogy!

Comment

Newbies Nest

If you're interested in learning more about the science, the Bubblehour podcast on addiction that has been posted several times is very understandable and helpful. This is a little heavy on science but if that appeals to you, this is outstanding (and for the most part encouraging):
                  The Craving Brain: The Neuroscience Of Uncontrollable Urges | The Kavli Foundation

Comment

Newbies Nest

Frances I see you are at 111 days. I can relate to your feeling "flat". I have been having the same experience since about 90 days sober. It is starting to get better. Staying busy has helped. Hang in there it is worth the effort.

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1672591 wrote: If you're interested in learning more about the science, the Bubblehour podcast on addiction that has been posted several times is very understandable and helpful. This is a little heavy on science but if that appeals to you, this is outstanding (and for the most part encouraging):
                      The Craving Brain: The Neuroscience Of Uncontrollable Urges | The Kavli Foundation
                      Thanks NS!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I had a flat spot, too around 4 months. "Is THIS all there is?". But trust me, when you come out the other side, you will be glad you sat it out. I try to see these periods at growth, and growth is usually uncomfortable. Afterwards, there is insight! Every day can't be rainbows and unicorns, but normal will get to where it feels pretty dang good!!

I will be a bit scarce for the next few days, I will check in but may have to be brief! (no EYE ROLLS!!!). Your eyes will get a short break from the epistles I tend to write!!! Yall behave, I will be watching!!! :H:H:H XXOO, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,
                          Stopping in for a twig and some velcroe.
                          I'm happy to be here with you all and pray that this is my final quit.
                          Detoxing and eating healthy, drinking lots of water and sauna. I am looking for AA meetings in my area, but am nervous to go. I am also nervous not to go.
                          I'm claiming my life back, I don't know how many more chances I have. I can't keep living like I can always quit. I can't wait until something terrible happens and there is no going back. So far, it's just my self-esteem, shame, embarrassment, regret, fear, and disgust in myself.
                          I am lucky that nothing worse has happened.
                          My new life starts today and I am going to cherish it like a new baby.
                          Thanks for listening.
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Still treading along

Thank you all so much for your comforting and supportive replies!! I'm trying to get through day two of tapering down. I take the bus in a small town and live miles from town, so only have to live out the 40 minutes it takes in between my bus from work to town, and my bus from work to home. I started buying small bottles, supplemented by those little airliner shot bottles to buy the exact amount I would need for today's taper. Unfortunately, I panicked 10 minutes after leaving the the liquor store and bought another three shots of Jim Beam - totalling the same amount as yesterday. I HAVE detoxed myself in the past, not too long ago, and hope to do so again. But, if I continue playing these games - never going down in the amount, I guess I'll have to go back to my (very understanding) doctor with my tail between my legs and ask for an outpatient detox protocol. I don't want to do that. In the meantime, thank you for your support! It means a lot. I'm dying inside. Sorry to peoplewrite so much. I'll stop now.

Comment

Newbies Nest

ETA: I don't know why my post says "peoplewrite." That's obviously not what I meant. I might be a drunk, but I'm not THAT dumb!

Comment

Newbies Nest

And I'm sorry Byrdlady. I believe it was you who suggested a rehab. Unfortunately, that is not in the cards for me (already done it four times and it is not a financial, nor a professional, possibility at the moment). I have to make do on my own. And again, I greatly apologize if I I'm mixing people up. At present, I'm having trouble navigating this site because I'm still a moron. I hope to join you all in sober-ville not too long from now.

Comment

Working...
                                X