Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Av, Pav, and Wag> Congrats on the days and months. It's huge.

LIS>You're not a downer. We're all on the same path, and understand.

I let betrayal and blind white anger derail me yesterday. I should have come here as soon as I realized I couldn't get a grip. When will I learn?

Goddamn it, I will do this!
    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone. Glad to see so many doing so well. And to everyone who has fallen and are back again, it's so good to see you back here. Lots of positive energy.

Ava, well done on 7 months! Simply brilliant. I'm so proud of you. You are an inspiration to so many, me being one of them

Well, my big marathon day is this Sunday. 5 more sleeps!! I feel like I've done all the hard work. I just have to go and run the 42.2 km (26 miles) that is the marathon. I'll be sure to file a report

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks everyone for the congrats, its a great feeling to be af and Juj the switch will switch for you. It is all in place and it will click. I used to try and try and try and then my last quit something in me just decided that this was it, all or nothing for me. I think being accountable on here, not lying to ones self about our drinking habits and just accepting that we cannot drink did it for me. Each one was hard to get my head around and it was a battle i fought daily but i must say it is a battle worth winning. I cant understand how i got the name of "lunatic Linda" as no one was on mwo as they were sleeping when i was craving al but i must have posted a hell of a lot for everyone to wake up to, so just putting it down in words helped a lot.

LIS you are being accountable and honest and the finality of not drinking is hard to get our heads around but you have done the tapering now is the time to take the plunge and be af. To wake each and everyday without a hangover is the best feeling. I cant remember what a hangover feels like but i dont want to find out either and i dont want to face another day 1 as long as i live. Putting in the effort daily keeps me on track to staying af.

DD you are sounding great girl and i think i will start buying flowers, i love them but wait for someone else to buy them and well that never happens! Oh i was classy at the end as $2.50 bottles of wine tasted great if i did not have any money and now i dont scrimp to find money for al and my bills are suprisingly being paid. Oh i am a procrastinator too, will talk about doing something for months but talking about things is good i think!.

Daisy 50 days, so proud of you and sending you a huge hug from cold Aus. Now girl you stick to what you are doing and do those next 50. If not i have my bricks to knock sense into you but i know you have everything in place to succeed.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lots of great days racking up here - congratulations to you all! Life really is just so much better this way.

Doing good here- off to a weekend away with my daughter with some folks who might 'tempt' me but I'm not worried I've already gone through two events with them - first one they questioned my not drinking and made some comments; second time they offered water so I'm hoping this time will be the same!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Av>Thank you for the support.:l It's going to be a long, long day, but I'm going to go to work, do my best, and be positive.

Petrel>I'm in awe of you. Great going, and good luck.

Go Team USA! I'd like to call in sick to work so I could watch the WC, but I won't. Whole lotta sick time being used in the U.S. today.:H
            "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

CONGRATS Ava!! 7 AF months = great work

Petrel, wishing you the very best this weekend!!!

Frances, wishing you the strength to stick with your plan! You know it's worth a lot more to return home strong & proud than caving in to drinking friends

Lis & Juja, it's up to both of you to jump on board the sober bus here & ride along with us.

DD, wishing you continued strength as you continue to heal.

Wishing everyone a terrific AF July1!!!!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

G'day Nester's, Hi Lav!

Congratulations Ava! Great stuff.

Day 17 wrapping up here and into week 2 of outpatient rehab. The core of the 6 week program is Cognitive behavioural Therapy (CBT) which is basically about challenging our thinking and managing/reducing stress levels and cravings. A bit tough going at times, but friendly vibe and enjoying it. Tomorrow is nutrition classes, liver education and drumming.

Hope everyone's as good as can be. Take it easy y'all. :h

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all!
                  Busy day at work so late check in here.
                  Ava, you are just on fire these days!
                  nfire:
                  Did you ever think you'd be giving 'no drinking' advice on a online forum??? Me, either! But here we are! (and loving it!!) Congrats on 7 months!
                  Daisy, you must feel so much better getting that harry monkey off your back!!
                  :alf:

Way to go on 50 days, I'm just so proud of you!!!

It takes a commitment. Do whatever it takes to get AL out of your life. I failed so many times because I went into it half heartedly. I tried everything to quit, except actually quitting. I had some in the house 'as a safety net'. I kept the door open that 'maybe someday' I'd be able to drink again. Looking at it in the rear view, what a stupid thing to wish for. The ability to drink ethanol? Drinking something I KNOW is toxic to me because I want to fit in with others? Go BACK to drinking something that almost cost me everything I have worked my whole life for? That's just stupid! Once I got these notions out of my head and accepted the fact of NO MATTER WHAT, I did a lot better. AL knows when you aren't serious. He knows when you start longing for him, and he knows just what to say to get you back. Don't fall for it. It's a TRICK. Get on board today and forget about this ruthless thing called AL! The more distance you put between you and AL the better! AL wins every time! And you can take it from us serial relapsers, every quit get HARDER NOT EASIER! So quit today and STAY quit! Do NOT give in no matter what! No matter WHO! You will never regret one day you spent sober!!!

Happy Tuesday to all, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wishing u all the best Petra ...
                    Rahul
                    --------------------------------------------
                    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                    Rebooting ... done ...
                    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks so much Juja, Lav and Ava. And congrats on 7 months Ava. That's amazing!

I'm on my last day of tapering. I felt it necessary to go back a couple days in my taper schedule, after messing up so badly, because of the past life-threatening withdrawal I've experienced (more than once). Those hospital doctors sure did do a good job of scaring the hell out of me. Too bad it didn't scare me out of going back to AL. Oh well. The good news is that unlike last time, I actually stuck to my last day's taper schedule. From here on in, I can avoid liquor stores entirely. No more trying to buy only the exact amount (in smaller bottles, supplemented with those airline shot bottles, then finally only those shot bottles). It's over! I never have to walk into a liquor store again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy last day tapering Lost and make sure all al is out of the house. I used to go to the shops before work to avoid the bottleshop being open and drive straight home after work and have a shower and get into my pj's. once i was in them i was not going anywhere. Get used to talking to your al voice for awhile and telling it NO. Do whatever it takes to not give in as it is hard to say NO but each and everyday sober is a bonus in an alkies life. I used to think of my al voice as a toddler nagging, whinging and whining for me to give in but i never gave into my toddler children so i sure wasnt giving into that al voice. Keep posting on here, dont run away and dont hide. Eat and eat some more and stock up on af drinks. I look forward to reading a lot from you Lost. This is my AA, make it yours too.
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Petrel - Hope you get 5 fantastic sleeps and that you're in great form for your event this weekend. I look forward to hearing about it afterwards.

Ava - Huge congrats on 7 months!!! Very inspiring and I appreciate that you've stuck around the NN to help everyone. I wasn't here when you were "posting like a lunatic" but I've seen the comment and embraced the strategy a few times myself. It works!

LIS - Good job with your taper! It will feel so good to never enter that liquor store again.

Daisy
                          - 50 days is so awesome! Congrats and hugs to you!!!

Frances
                          - You sound strong and ready for your weekend - I'm sure you won't be tempted either, but if you need extra support be sure to shout out to us here.

Juja
                          - I've been thinking about you today - hope it was a good one. Be kind to yourself, just as you would to a friend who was dealing with the multiple things you're working through right now. We're here for you.
                          Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats to all here getting the big numbers .As we stumble and occasionally fall on our way into the future . I had a struggle yesterday when a fairly minor complaint from a client sent my anxiety levels through the roof and totally out of proportion to the problem . And it hit me hard that it was such a trigger to my ways of coping by using Al . At least when you can single out an issue [ anxiety ] it can be looked at and seen as separate , but a contributing factor , to be dealt with .
                            BND
                            Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                            Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Newbies Nest

Several people have commented that I seem like I'm doing very well these days. I AM doing well - amazingly well in fact. After reflecting on why that is the case, I'd like to share something that has been helping me tremendously these past few weeks. I recently started paddling with a competitive outrigger canoe team in my city. I've always loved outdoor activities, but this one is new for me. I've also always loved to workout and be fit, but a lot of that fell to the back burner during the height of my drinking days.

I...LOVE...PADDLING! It is one of the biggest factors making it relatively easy for me to stay AF right now. It motivates me (I don't want to drink even the day before practices or races, as my performance would suffer and I'd let myself and my team down). I also take better care of myself (doing other exercise, eating clean, getting good sleep) because I want paddling to be as fun and enjoyable as possible. It rewards me too - I don't drink, and as a result, I'm able to go do this activity that I enjoy and makes me feel alive. It's a very good, hard, full-body workout and my endorphin levels soar each time I go (usually 3x a week). I get social time with fun people and we're doing something that doesn't involve alcohol.

Being on the paddling team also makes me feel reconnected with a happy healthy version of myself I haven't seen in awhile. I have missed that "me" and am glad to have her back!

Do other people have similar things that serve as both motivators and rewards? Things that they love to do so much that not drinking is a small price to pay for the joy of what you get to do instead? I'm amazed at how much this is helping me, and I'm grateful that I found it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

bran new day;1678028 wrote: Congrats to all here getting the big numbers .As we stumble and occasionally fall on our way into the future . I had a struggle yesterday when a fairly minor complaint from a client sent my anxiety levels through the roof and totally out of proportion to the problem . And it hit me hard that it was such a trigger to my ways of coping by using Al . At least when you can single out an issue [ anxiety ] it can be looked at and seen as separate , but a contributing factor , to be dealt with .
                                BND
                                x-post BND... That's great that you were able to recognize and isolate the trigger yesterday. I think that is a huge piece of ammunition for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X