• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

If Sarah was truly having DT's i doubt she'd be able to post here
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I see the light. I'm going to stay, and continue posting. I am depressed, and feel like everything is just too damn hard right now. Believe me when I say, I have no intention on giving up on being AF. I'm just tired of failing, and I figure no one wants to hear a broken record.

I thank you for all your good advice, and encouragement. My drinking habits are nowhere near what they were 5 years ago, and that's all because of great people like all of you. You've all helped me come a long, long way.

roon>I, too, keep a calendar. AF days have a green mark through them.

lifechange>Let's listen to LIS and believe her when she says as long as we keep getting up we can make it. You and I can take being "one of the one of the sorry ones" off the table. I get exactly what you're saying, though.

DD>I've thought about AA, but I live in a small, small town, and I'm too much of a coward to go. Silly, isn't it? I hope you're getting along better. I think of you often. How's your pain level now?

Samstone>You're right, just today.

Sarah>I don't get this DT business. I thought you said you didn't drink that much? Oh, and most families are screwed up; that's a no-brainer. You just have to figure out if your family is worth the energy you expend. It took me til I was 61 to say I'd had enough. Also, if 2 pyschs have told you to disconnect from your parents, and if your husband has had his fill, there must be something to it.

Londoner>You are doing so well. Please don't mess it up. Think how you'll feel Sunday morning if you don't drink--you'd feel fantastic for more reasons than one. Who are you going to see, btw?

Pav>I know I'm powerless over AL once I start drinking, I know it. It's the stinkin' thinkin' that does me in. I can repeat every mantra I've read over and over, talk to the tantrum-throwing toddler, whatever, but my AL brain ends up doing the driving. It's weird.

Wag>Thank you for the pm'ing offer. That is kind of you. Let me think about it, as I don't want to be a burden.

Byrdie>I get what you're saying--"just stop!" I understand, but not all us were given an ultimatum, so maybe our quits aren't exactly like yours. I know what you're going to say--quitting is quitting, but I don't know that it's so cut and dry. We all have different baggage that goes along with our AL consumption, and maybe, just maybe, we have to find ways to drop the baggage before we can stop the drinking. This is something I've thought about for some time, and want to put out there. Perhaps quitting is like going through therapy in that we have to internalize certain things before they become real, and then we can act upon them. I don't know, but that feels right to me.

Hi Cherokeer, petrel, Quest, Lav,...who am I missing? I know you're here....:h

There is a green mark on my calendar for tonight, and will be for Independence Day (good one to whoever said that). I'm taking iced tea with me tomorrow night, and wearing a bracelet to fiddle with to remind me not to drink.

Love to all.:l
      Juja
      "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Juja, Glad you made the decision to stick around! Sounds like you have a good plan for the 4th. I love the bracelet idea. Hang in there everyone! With each other's support we can do this one day at a time!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Aw, Ginger....:l Thanks.
          "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

paulywogg;1678636 wrote: If Sarah was truly having DT's i doubt she'd be able to post here
            My thoughts also Pauly, hospital may be a better option.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Juja
              I am so glad that you decided to stay! I totally understand your reasons for not going to AA. I am lucky as round here there are so many meetings that it makes it easy to find an interesting one and also to remain anonymous!
              New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Other alcohol/recovery forums

Often when I try to get on My Way Out I can't. It is without doubt my favourite forum and the only one where I post, but I read on "Sober Recovery" when the MWO website is down, I find that quite interesting but it does not have the family feel that we have on here. Does anyone know of any other interesting alcohol recovery forums? (I'm asking as I think it is always important to have back up systems!!
                New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning, Nesters!
                  Happy 4th of July to all of you celebrating in the U.S.--
                  as LB said, we are all celebrating our day(s) of FREEDOM!

LIS, I hope you had a nice dinner in the hotel and that your Hubby is feeling better in the morning. No fun to be sick on vacation! I wanted to clarify that by, "the sorry few", I only meant those who aren't able to be brutally honest with themselves, who aren't able to completely accept and in some way embrace their addictions. I meant it with empathy, as I know how I teeter on the tightrope!

Juju, I'm relieved to see that you're going to stay. I know (i think we all do!) how you were/are feeling and I greatly admire your power not to give up!:l

I'm off to work.. wishing you all a good one! see you later.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goo morning, Nesters!
                    Happy 4th of July to all of you celebrating in the U.S.--
                    as LB said, we are all celebrating our day(s) of FREEDOM!

LIS, I hope you had a nice dinner in the hotel and that your Hubby is feeling better in the morning. No fun to be sick on vacation! I wanted to clarify that by, "the sorry few", I only meant those who aren't able to be brutally honest with themselves, who aren't able to completely accept and in some way embrace their addictions. I meant it with empathy, as I know how I teeter on the tightrope!

Juju, I'm relieved to see that you're going to stay. I know (i think we all do!) how you were feeling and I greatly admire your power not to give up!:l

I'm off to work.. wishing you all a good one! see you later.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Meditation

I have never really done this properly, I have sat quietly breathing deeply, but I don't really know what to do. How do you do it? Has anyone got any books/techniques that they can recommend for a beginner?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh goodness...so sorry! Typing DT was a typo...I meant ET as in "essential tremors' as what Byrdie suggested. I feel bad for the confusion. I don't nor never have drank enough to have detox medically.

ET I do have. (at least I think). Scheduling appt with Dr next week for it.

Today/Tonight, I did have a bit of a emotional 'breakdown'. I will say it was stemmed from some of my ex's crap....but I felt I owed my son some sort of explanation.

Truth is, we spent thousands to try to get full custody of him when he was much younger.

I won in State court, but ex appealed (he is a lawyer), and ultimately we share custody. My son is now 17. After a little rift with the ex over dental stuff, my current hubby just decided we would just take care of it. While it puts more of a financial burden on us, in his eyes, it's more worth taking care of the problem than arguing with the ex.

It would seem logical that I would agree with this and not get upset...however...that is not what happened.

You see, in my opinion, his father never took responsibility for my son. I digress here b/c I could go on for hours about it.

Anyway, I reacted tonight. I was honest with my son by saying "I felt I failed him". Years and years of trying to get custody. We actually set a precedent in our State b/c of the case.

In any case, I have tried to teach my son the importance of honesty, hard-work, morals/values, and question everything. Also, to treat women with RESPECT. I am blessed with a great child. He hugged on me for several minutes. I think he knows (even with my own faults) that he is the most important thing in my liife.

I WILL quit drinking..no ifs,ands or buts about it. I gotta do do this.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
                          Happy Independence Day! The sun is out and I am going to enjoy this day from work!! Strength to all, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah>That makes more sense. Whew. I knew someone thought she had ET, but I couldn't remember who it was. Good on you for having the talk with your son. I'm sure he loves you all the more for it.

DD>I can't recommend any meditation books or CDs on meditation, but I know there are youtube videos, plus I would think your local library would have books and DVDs. We have a number of them in the library where I work, and we're small. That is something I also want to do, but haven't made the effort. From what I've read, meditation:new: changes everything. Here's a simple illustration I found and bookmarked from reddit. (Ain't no way I can sit cross-legged anymore! :H)

http://imgur.com/wK0nRjB

We had awesome (as in awe-inspiring) rains yesterday. I thought it was perhaps like a monsoon rain, though I've never experienced that. I looked at my flowers this morning and believe they've grown 6", and now have buds galore. Nature is quite something to behold.

Americans, stay strong on this important holiday weekend. The AL will be flowing. All the rest of you lovies, keep it a safe. I will make some special tea today, and will cut up lemons to take with me. I think I'll be on the lookout for a special thermal mug to take along on my outings. It can serve as a reminder that I don't drink.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Where the heck did that smilie come from? Error.

Comment

Newbies Nest

good on you Juja, be well and strong
                                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Working...
                                X