Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

DD and Rox- ET's is a neurological condition much like Parkinson's. It has nothing to do with AL or anxiety.

I was put on anxiety meds b/c I was experiencing lots of anx for diff reasons. My Dr did not rule out ET, but he wanted to get my anx under control so he could properly diagnosis it. It's just a start. But, now that I have been on the anx meds for a week or so and still exp the ETs it seems I do need to go back.

Rox- I did taper. Over the last week I did drink a little more just to deal with the ET's or I cannot seem to function. You see, neurotransmitters aren't firing correctly, and AL releases Seratonins and other things to help calm the tremors. This does not mean AL is a cure...nor do I mean for it to be. It is just a coping mechanism until I can get on Tremidone or Premidone. Believe me, I'm not putting AL on the backburner!

I know enough that I shouldn't drink on anx meds (sorry Byrdie) and while I have controlled my intake to an extent, I would be lying if I said I could type right now without a little AL.

This is certainly not what I want. I think once I get an appt with Dr next week and finally get diagnosed with this crap- I can get back to concentrating on AF....at least that is my hope.

I'm not making excuses now- I might later- but not now. I got to get this taken care of in order to move forward.

Love,

Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nice cats Roxy, very nice cats!
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nice cats Roxy, very nice cats!

We actually do tests for ET's at my work and we always see if these ET's are relieved by al and if this is the case then it is deemed they are not ET's. There are quite possibly psychological issues with the patient.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

available;1679524 wrote: Nice cats Roxy, very nice cats!

We actually do tests for ET's at my work and we always see if these ET's are relieved by al and if this is the case then it is deemed they are not ET's. There are quite possibly psychological issues with the patient.
            This would not surprise me at all. I just need to get it figured out.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Chero, I am sorry you had to deal with such in your face drunkenness
              I think I may have just gotten in my car & disappeared! I hope you can sit down & have a serious chat with your husband & most importantly redraw your boundary lines. I have done the same because our sobriety is & always will be the most important thing

Sarah, denial can be a powerful thing but whether you know it now or not - you have the power to overcome all this. It's a choice, one that you make each & every day.
              Mixing Klonopin or any benzo with AL is a bad choice - period! You are risking a real catastrophe. I am not saying this lightly but because I am a retired health care professional & have seen patients get into serious trouble. I truly hope you choose to move forward & stop BS-ing yourself.

Wishing everyone a safe & AF Sunday!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome, TTBH! Glad you're here.

Sarah, I won't give up on you. Hang in there. Please trust, as I do, that this will fall into place for us. Everyone's here because they have a problem, and not a single one has beaten AL overnight. No one.

Londoner, please check in.

Everyone have a good MAE.
                "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Chero - Sorry you had such a rough day yesterday. I'll never understand why some people have such a problem with others not drinking with them. Who cares what you do, as long as they still get to do what they want to do? Kudos for standing your ground and not joining in. And, as others have said, be happy that it wasn't YOU being one of those idiots, and that you got to wake up this morning hangover-free. Your husband probably feels like death warmed over. Oh, and warped senses of humor are always welcome here - at least by me

Sarah - We're not giving up on you and I hope no one lectures you too much because it sounds like you're already aware how very dangerous it can be to mix alcohol with benzos. But having said that, if you are going to drink, please, please, please skip the klonopin. The anxiety may be intensely uncomfortable, but it won't kill you like an overdose could. Alcohol and benzos have a synergistic effect on CNS depression. It's not 1 plus 1 equals 2; it's more like 1 plus 1 equals 4. You don't want to mess around with that. (OK, now it sounds like I am lecturing - sorry!). And I would echo what others have suggested - that the AL is most likely exacerbating the problem. It may help in the short run, but is probably worsening the problem in the long run. If you feel you must drink for now to control the tremors, at least try to treat it as medicine and have as little as possible to make the tremors die down. I know, MUCH easier said than done, but this is your health we're talking about. Get to the doctor as soon as you can and please take care of yourself in the meantime.

lifechange - It sounds like you're doing really well. I love your positivity. And thank you for the reminder. I'm trying to work on mindfulness/living in the present moment myself, but I keep forgetting to practice it. I get caught up in the moment, but not in a good way - I still tend to dwell too long on the anxiety, stress, cravings, etc. in my life, and forget to just focus on the breath. And yes, my cousin is an amazing woman and a VERY positive influence in my life. I'm so lucky to have her, both as family and as a dear friend.

roxane - Thanks for the adorable picture. That brought a smile to my face

My husband and I are on the road now, for a very long drive back up north. Oh, and that cold he's been suffering with? Now I have it! And I have no option of calling in sick tomorrow since my boss is on vacation and I'm the only person who knows how to do certain (vital) parts of his job, so we're not allowed to be out on the same day. Anyway, I'm trying to formulate a plan for tomorrow when I'll be thrown back into my usual stresses and triggers. The main thing I'm afraid of is that I have a 40 minute wait downtown between the two buses I take to get to and from work. I'm thinking I'll go for a walk if it's nice out or go to the library if it's raining. Either way, I'll be forced to spend that time just a stone's throw away from a liquor store (there are several downtown). I'm kind of nervous, but am trying to just live in the present moment for now (thanks again lifechange!). Oh, and not to sound like an idiot, but what does MAE mean? I keep seeing it used here.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE=morning, afternoon, evening

LIS, yuck. I'm sorry you're sick while on a long drive. That's not a good combination. I hope you can sleep a bit in the car. As waiting for the bus, you obviously know what to do. Good for you. Oh, and libraries are great places to hang out as there's always something to distract you.

I find that mindfulness, and being in the moment works, too. It frees me from baggage--not yesterday, not tomorrow, not an hour from now, but right now. :h
                    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE stands for morning, afternoon, evening so that we can greet people in all time zones.
                      Have a safe drive North, LIS-- look forward to hearing how your Monday goes!!

Sarah, :l:l

I just got back from a nice run. I didn't really feel like going so I tricked myself by putting on my sports clothes and walking to the track, telling myself that if when I got there, I didn't feel like running, I could just walk back home. I did end up running and am feeling good for it.

What do you all have planned for the day?

Comment

Newbies Nest

X-post Juju! Hi!! Hows your day going? I know you were worried about filling up the time this weekend.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cherokeer,
                          wow, that must have been agonizing, to say the least. Truly the most positive thing is the result that you held firm to your quit and to that end you should give yourself a huge pat on the back. To the other part of this, you're going to have to have a long sit down with the husband, might be a good idea to cool off a little. To maintain your quit, when another occasion occurs like that you got to have an alternative situation, some sort of escape to a more sober environment, maybe an AA meeting or some other sober based function.
                          You really did well to maintain.
                          Sam
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

HI All . Well i'm afraid I blew it once again . 6 stops this year and a lot of AF time . So tomorrow is a new start . at least i'm climbing back on the wagon almost as soon as I fall off . I suppose if it was easy it wouldn't be a problem , But it is . If I can figure out how to start a thread I will do so . I have got so good at being a secret drinker that my partner of 3 years has no idea about how much I drink , and therefore thinks its great when I decide to have a glass of wine with her at dinner . Will check in tomorrow . BND
                            Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                            Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Newbies Nest

Chero, if nothing else it has opened your eyes to what you don't want.
                              3 of my sisters drank on Thusday night, one went to bed and 2 drank until morning about 11. One went home and continued through the day until midnight without sleep......you can only imagine....her husband and son tell her she is not an alcohlolic, she just needs to go to bed.....like banging your head off a brick wall....as we know, you have to get there by yourself! I hate to see this but in a selfish way it strengthens my resolve to be sober.
                              Juja, glad you stayed on board.....keep believing in yourself.......you got lots of back-up here.....
                              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah I haven't been around long enough to know your back story, but I will admit that your mixing of AL with klonopin scares me. I really hope you get in to see a Dr ASAP, as it seems you are playing with fire. Having said that, I understand from a different experience what it's like to essentially need to self-medicate with alcohol to quiet some symptoms and get through a few days before seeing a Dr. I agree with LIS - if you're feeling the need to drink for the ETs, skip the klonopin. Be completely honest with your Dr so you can get the best help for your anxiety, ETs, alcoholism, and anything else. In the meantime, hugs to you.

Cherokeer - First and foremost, kudos to you for standing strong and staying AF in the face of so much drunken pressure. That took a lot of strength. It sounds like you were able to leverage your anger and use it to help you. I think people pressure others to drink out of insecurity. I hope things are better for you today, and that you might be able to talk with your husband after he sobers up.

BND - Sorry to hear about your slip, but good job getting right back on the wagon. Do you feel comfortable sharing what triggered you?

LIS
                                - I hope you feel better soon! Definitely plan ahead so you can steer clear of those liquor stores tomorrow. A walk, the library, other errands, login here... You can do it! It's only 40 minutes and then you'll be out of there. Visualize yourself succeeding.

LC
                                - Glad you got your run in. Sometimes I do something similar - I put on my workout clothes and commit to at least doing the warm-up. Usually that's all it takes and I end up working out even harder than planned. Good job!
                                Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Working...
                                X