Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi, Everyone:

I got through the evening fine - it is amazing to me how places can be such triggers! We had a fine time, although she drinks A LOT and might not see it. Maybe I can help her some time in the future.

Weary - thanks for the link to your blog. I love writing and I have a professional blog for my work, but I do sometimes wish that I joined the sober blogger crew. I look forward to reading your journey.

WMM - Sorry about your night. Can you use your feelings today (blech) to give you incentive to quit? Can you enlist the support of your husband? Maybe you need all of the alcohol out of the house for a while? Maybe you need an "in person" accountability that telling someone face-to-face would get you? Anyway - welcome and settle in.

This is an interesting conversation - I have two things to add. First, I just listened to the Bubble Hour on Willingness yesterday - they talk about the willingness to just do what sober people tell you to do. I talk about it here - I followed what the long term sober people told me to do, even if I didn't believe it or was skeptical, because it seems to have worked for them. The guest makes a point that you only have to be 51% willing - not even 100% in at all times. (He also talks about hating the people who talked to him about being happy and sober). That's the point of a sober community - we do all have individual ideas of what will work for us, but there is collective wisdom and experience that is invaluable. With 7 plus months sober, I post questions to long timers all the time on the abstinence thread, and I reckon even Byrdie and Lav have questions of want advice from time to time.

The second thing I would like to add is this daily ponderable that someone sent me in the beginning of my quit. I have posted it several times before, but I think it is a useful calibration from time to time:

"We felt different... Only after surrender are we able to overcome the alienation of addiction."
    Basic Text, p. 22

"But you don't understand!" we spluttered, trying to cover up. "I'm different! I've really got it rough!" We used these lines over and over in our active addiction, either trying to escape the consequences of our actions or avoid following the rules that applied to everyone else. We may have cried them at our first meeting. Perhaps we've even caught ourselves whining them recently.

So many of us feel different or unique. As addicts, we can use almost anything to alienate ourselves. But there's no excuse for missing out on recovery, nothing that can make us ineligible for the program- not a life-threatening illness, not poverty, not anything. There are thousands of addicts who have found recovery despite the real hardships they've faced. Through working the program, their spiritual awareness has grown, in spite of-or perhaps in response to those hardships.

Our individual circumstances and differences are irrelevant when it comes to recovery. By letting go of our uniqueness and surrendering to this simple way of life, we're bound to find that we feel a part of something. And feeling a part of something gives us the strength to walk through life, hardships and all.

Just for Today: I will let go of my uniqueness and embrace the principles of recovery I have in common with so many others. My hardships do not exclude me from recovery; rather, they draw me into it.

OK - about to leave on my 3 day trip off the grid. Stay strong nesters - you really can't imagine how much better EVERYTHING (relationships, ailments, problems, celebrations) is when you are sober.

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mornin' folks.

I'm grabbing the rope Byrdie. Feels good to be heading up - sinking and bobbing is such hard work. I am expecting some tough days during the next month. For those of you considering how to quit, I can tell you that my previous success was ABSOLUTELY due to having a solid PLAN. Taking supplements, drinking lots of water, eating well (but also ice cream if I want it), getting in bed early, and sweating often will help me physically.

The mental plan for me includes checking in here, and having a list of excuses handy (I am on a medication that doesn't mix, I am doing a cleanse, I don't drink on weekdays - and having fake drinks at times) will help with the expectant friends and family for awhile. I think in the long term I won't have any problem saying I told AL to stick it.

My other best tools will be to ALWAYS pour something non-AL and keep it in my hand, immediately focusing on some other interesting task when AL thoughts come, developing new interests like drinking tea, and my FAVORITE: the list of rewards.

Since this is not a short term thing for me, the reward will ultimately being free from AL's grip - but for the first month, I say - Let the rewards rain! (these include a pedicure at 7 days and a facial at 30, among others).

MOLECULES
      This grace rips through what I know of myself.
      Then quietly fights and finds being.
      A growing calm enters my daily mold
      And my breath slows.
      My laughter wisens and
      I feel a soft certainty in my molecules.
      - KENSHO
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pav, have a great adventure! Kensho, Good plan. If you feel like breaking it, come here first!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1685127 wrote: I get frustrated with people who are struggling to quit but don't feel like they have the time to make a commitment to their sobriety. If you're going to use a forum such as this or a blog (or both ), you've got to engage with others by reading and posting. And that does take quite a bit of time, especially at the beginning. It looks like you're doing that really well. This is my favorite blog on Wordpress at the moment: https://wordpress.com/read/blog/id/65341899/
          Thank you No Sugar - I'm loving it all actually, it's opened up a bit of excitement in my life. I feel like I've suddenly made hundreds of new friends in just a few days. I have never been on Twitter before, but keep getting messages pinging onto my iphone from fellow sober seekers sending me strength This means I get support even when I'm away from my desk. When I feel like reading and chatting I come here to MWO - and each day I can vent an opinion on my blog. I can honestly say that the buzz I am getting is better than the buzz from drink! Only trouble is, I think my hubby is worrying that I'm having an affair as I'm constantly checking my phone - might have to come clean soon (but not too soon - like to keep him on his toes! :H)

Anyway - met a girlfriend for lunch today and she gave me this gift - said she saw it and thought of me (well that says it all really!!)

Wonder if I can change the word 'wine' to 'sobriety'
          Finally planning for success
          Toolbox
          wearywino.wordpress.com
          247helpyourself.com

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wearywino;1685216 wrote:

Anyway - met a girlfriend for lunch today and she gave me this gift - said she saw it and thought of me (well that says it all really!!)
            Wonder if I can change the word 'wine' to 'sobriety'
            Don't know how to make the image show up - I copied the link from Facebook and Twitter but it doesn't work

Thank you NoSugar - picture now posts!
            Toolbox
            wearywino.wordpress.com
            247helpyourself.com

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi WWM and welcome -- as someone else said, been there, done that, with kids. Mine are now older teens and I'd give anything to go back in time and have quit when they were younger. Devise a plan and quit now! Don't waste any more precious time! Also, I have smoking in common with you -- after having quit smoking about 15 years ago, about 3 years ago, I took up cigs again during a failed attempt to quit. Because in every movie with an AA scene, they're always smoking, right? I thought cigs would make it easier. All I ended up with was a new smoking addiction and an even worse AL addiction. Some people use smoking to get through their quit and find it very helpful, but for me I associated one with the other and felt I had to quit both the same day. I knew the withdrawals were going to be bad for AL and figured I might as well get it all over with at the same time.

Had a long-distance friend stay with me for the past 2 days --- we were notorious for staying up in until 2:00 going through about 8 bottles of wine together whenever our families would visit one another. She is my last friend that I needed to come out to as being AL-free, and I was a bit nervous how she would take it, but she was fantastic. She doesn't have a problem and would just over-do it when she was drinking with me. I knew she had a few bottles of wine with her and invited her to imbibe (since she's on vacation). She was very concerned that it would be hard for me, but I assured her it was no big deal, and guess what? It wasn't! Not in the least. We still stayed up late, her sipping wine (much less than she used to with me) and me sipping tea. And I invited her to get up with me at 6:30 for a walk in the woods, which was a first in our 20 year friendship because we'd both be too hung over! It was a lovely visit, and I now feel like I've just re-entered the world in a kind of way...completely cleaned out and honest with everyone about being AL-free and never going back. It's a WONDERFUL feeling.

Kensho and everyone else, it's well worth sticking all of this out for -- hang in there because life becomes beautiful again!

:h
              Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Whitewashmom,

I could really relate to what you said about your kids. I have one, and I remember him being so embarrassed of me and my behavior. That hurt the most out of everything. Stick with your plan and just take it day by day, posting as much as possible, listening to other successful people and what they did, doing something good for yourself daily. It's not easy, but it can be done. Your kids will be so happy they have their mom back, and not the crazy one. I know my son and I have become much closer, he trusts me, my husband trusts me, and it feels so wonderful.
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pavati;1685195 wrote:

[I]"We felt different... Only after surrender are we able to overcome the alienation of addiction."
                  Basic Text, p. 22

"But you don't understand!" we spluttered, trying to cover up. "I'm different! I've really got it rough!" We used these lines over and over in our active addiction, either trying to escape the consequences of our actions or avoid following the rules that applied to everyone else. We may have cried them at our first meeting. Perhaps we've even caught ourselves whining them recently.

So many of us feel different or unique. As addicts, we can use almost anything to alienate ourselves. But there's no excuse for missing out on recovery, nothing that can make us ineligible for the program- not a life-threatening illness, not poverty, not anything. There are thousands of addicts who have found recovery despite the real hardships they've faced. Through working the program, their spiritual awareness has grown, in spite of-or perhaps in response to those hardships.

Our individual circumstances and differences are irrelevant when it comes to recovery. By letting go of our uniqueness and surrendering to this simple way of life, we're bound to find that we feel a part of something. And feeling a part of something gives us the strength to walk through life, hardships and all.

Pav
                  Pav - Thank you for this quote. I think that feeling my situation was different - I had it harder than everyone else, my job is more stressful, my home life challenging blah blah blah blah is what has kept me drinking, quitting, drinking again year after year. That's what I found so valuable about reading through loads and loads of sober blogs - I could read each individual person's story and there are so many people out there. Young professional girls who just got into the 'wine habit' and couldn't stop, young men who fell in with the wrong crowd, high flying career people who drink to cope, those who are down and reach rock bottom and drink to make life more bearable. All of their stories are unique - but all have fallen into the same alcohol trap. The bit I love reading most in all of the blogs is the point when each of these people realised that it was time to quit for good (after years and years of misery) and hearing about their journey and increasing happiness as sober time increases. I WANT THAT TOO! :thanks:
                  Toolbox
                  wearywino.wordpress.com
                  247helpyourself.com

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wearywino;1685216 wrote: I feel like I've suddenly made hundreds of new friends in just a few days.
                    You'll be amazed at the close friendships that can develop online. I was very skeptical about all that but am now a believer. These friends are special because they know the real me - I was always very careful in my real life to show no weakness and be the one who was large and in charge. One of the many benefits of participating here is that I'm beginning to open up more in person and not always pretend to be just fine, thank you.

The other good thing about these new friends you're making is they don't think you're off your rocker for stopping drinking. Everyone around me has been fine with it but those of them that are drinkers can't imagine doing such a thing. They weren't aware of the seriousness of my problem and I suspect some of them have issues of their own but in any case, it is nice to "hang out" with people who totally get it.

Now that I'm liking and respecting myself again, I don't want to let myself down but for a long time, my reluctance to/fear of disappointing the people here who had spent so much time and energy on me was the driving force to keep me on track. Now, I just want all of us to stay part of this awesome, sober group.

To post a photo pretty easily, upload it or the URL at tinypic.com. You'll then be given the code to paste in. One good thing is, you can select the size you want so your picture won't be huge.

Glad you're here, Weary. NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi fellow nesters :l

So glad we are all hanging in there.

I was having kind of a tough day at work and snuck (sp?) on the site and got immediate help. I am so grateful for that. The whole saga is posted on the Ladies on a Mission Thread so I won't bore you with the details, but, in a nutshell, I was feeling tense at work, got an additional assignment, out of the blue and immediately wanted to escape by drinking. Not cool. I got support from a couple of friends here (before getting locked out of the site :upset and made it home without incident. I am so happy to have made it through another day.

Two things saved me today. One, is feeling accountable here. Two is the caring response of friends here.

I will have to tell you that, traditionally, days 4 or 5 are the toughest ones for me to get through, during the early stages. I will have to use the tools we have here to make it through. I have tried doing it on my own and it does not work. I have tried just lurking and thinking I will come back after I get a week or a month under my belt. It doesn't work.

Someone said, earlier today, pick a quit date and stick to it....that's what works plus, of course, reading and posting.

Love you all! Have a great, sober night everyone :l
                      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

It was a hot day today & an even hotter one promised for tomorrow!!!!

Star, glad you were able to check in during your workday for a little reassurance

WMM, Get your plan together & get started on your new & improved life asap - you'll never be sorry & your kids will love having a clear-headed Mom!

WW, we all do become almost instant friends here. We move forward hand in hand

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav

PS: Byrdie, I am no saint :H
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Where is everyone?

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Wednesday!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone, sitting here with my morning coffee trying to get my head together. Woke up with 2 cranky little girls, thank God the other one is happy at least. Been a bit MIA lately, its been really busy here still unpacking and picking up new furniture and things like that. The good thing is that I haven't touched a drop, and the day I had with my kids two days ago was actually really stressful. Its funny the days how they turn out between one day and the next. The tiny little people finding out things, everything is new and watching how they go through these experiences can be something else, but on the cranky days I would just hit fast forward till theyre over it....lol

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mom3 - I totally get that with the kiddos! Sounds like you have a lot going with packing - keep up the good work!

The site was unavailable for most of yesterday, for about 10 hours. Seems to bet getting worse. I do wonder some days if I will log in and see a screen saying it is shut down? This is support I would miss!

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day!
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone - Day three for me and the sun is shining!

Star - keep up the good work and keep posting, your journey is helping me to! :l

I notice from Roll Call that Daevid and rooniferd are on Day 3 as well - my mission pals!

White Marsh Mum - I had to respond to your post as I was a truly awful mum once upon a time (I'm not saying that you are - but I know that feeling of guilt). At my worst - just after my first marriage broke up and my three were just 6, 8 and 10 and they had already been through a bad time and a house move, I was drinking heavily (and my body hadn't built up so much resilience then) I blacked out in the kitchen, on the floor, whilst cooking dinner (goodness knows how much I had drunk). My daughter sat next to me for hours until I came round and said to me: "Mummy - I couldn't wake you up. I didn't ring anyone, because I know its because you drank so much, but what if there was a fire? We couldn't wake you!"

By biggest shame now is that even that wasn't enough to make me stop! I so regret what I have put my children through over the years through my drinking. They are wonderful adults in their early 20s now, but I so wish that I was you and had the chance to turn the clock back and give them a sober mum in their teens.

Anyway - surprisingly for my second sober day, I spent most of it in the pub! I had arranged to meet a friend for lunch for my birthday and we had a lovely afternoon sitting in the pub garden eating and drinking (her wine and me lime and soda) I felt a slight twinge of regret when she first put the drinks on the table, but that soon disappeared.

In the evening, my husband announced that he had arranged to meet a business colleague in a pub in the next town for a very quick meeting and he thought it would be nice if I came along and we had a meal. Again, in the car on the way, all I could think about was a nice cold glass of Sauv - it wasn't a craving exactly, just a thought of how it would usually be. Again, I stuck to lime and soda and we had a lovely evening.

On another positive note - I have never slept so well as I have for the last three nights!
                                Toolbox
                                wearywino.wordpress.com
                                247helpyourself.com

Comment

Working...
                                X