Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Another dark & damp day in my portion of the nest, oh well.

Sarah, wonderful to hear that you have started on your AF journey - good job

Ava, nice to hear that you met with petrel

Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm still here. The final day of my first week AF. No cravings because I'm far too scared about my health. To drink is not an option. Job and housing worries are compounding things. I actually managed to do some cleaning today. This place is disgusting.
      ?Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.?

― George Carlin

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah, Waking up to your post about your day 1 was just great! I hope you are proud of yourself and seeing how strong you really can be. And if you can do it once, you can do it again, so on to day 2!

You are quite a night owl! (we're in the same time zone). Everyone laughs at me for how early I go to bed when I can. Have you always had that kind of rhythm? Anyway, I hope you get enough sleep and another thing, I found going to bed a great way to escape from cravings in the early days.

You might be surprised about those tremors if you give yourself enough time without alcohol. Even if it turns out that AL isn't the cause, high doses might greatly exacerbate, not suppress, the symptoms.

I read this article about it: Daily Boozing Can Double Risk Of Involuntary (essential) Tremor In Later Life - Medical News Today and was struck by the concluding paragraph:
        Paradoxically, alcohol is often used to relieve symptoms in those who have already been diagnosed with essential tremor. But it may, in fact, hasten progression of the condition and worsen symptoms, they conclude.
        Please stick with this, Sarah, even though the first several days will be rough. The sober you will be able to deal with all the other stuff of life so much better.

Congratulations to your son for earning the scholarship - that is a great accomplisment!

All the best, NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!!!
          :dancin:
          Well, looks like big news in the Sarah42 household! I am so proud I could pop! Stay in these uncharted waters, girl, you never want to have to repeat a Day 1! The news about your son is just fantastic, too! He must be something very special to earn that kind of scholarship! Wow, wish I could give you a big fat hug! It is a big day in the NEST! Woootie Hoooooooot!

SoftF, it is amazing out how trashed I used to get at our company meetings....they spent all that money to put on the presentations, fly us all in, and we stayed out till the wee hours and were barely functioning the next day. It was a test of endurance for sure. Glad I dont have to do that anymore, it was just crazy! Now, I am there to learn and absorb stuff to make me more effective at my job. Ugg, the things that AL makes us do

Daevid, so glad you are continuing, you have the right attitude. Enough IS enough.

Ava, what a bonus that you and Petrel met! Get him back here, we miss him!!! Who else can I make my corny dentist jokes to? Tell him he has til tooth-hurty today to check in! Ehehe.

DD, creepy about the mice. Hope you get it squared away TODAY! Hugs, dear lady.

It is HOT outside! 96* our projected high. The dog and I may stay indoors and clean out my bathroom drawer. It has wretched shelf paper on the bottom that has been there for 21 years...today, it must go! Wish me luck, I 'm goin' in!

Hope everyone has an easy day! Congrats everyone!!!! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Nest:

Way to go Sarah! I hope you slept ok - it can be hard at first for sure. Leave it to NS to find the good health advice. I had two doctor's appts. this week and LOVED checking the "zero" box under alcoholic drinks. Day 2 - onward and upward.

Fear is certainly what kept me from quitting. Fear that I'd be boring, bored, craving alcohol all the time, the center of "why aren't you drinking" attention, not sleeping, did I mention boring? Turns out that was a lot of fear based on NOTHING. As many have said, I have never, not once, gotten out of bed and thought "gee, I wish I drank last night." You should hear the Bubble Hour on sobriety bloggers with Mrs. D of Mrs. D is Going Without blog - she is positively giddy with excitement about how much better being sober was than what she expected. It is not easy, but it is SO worth it.

Sorry I missed a big milestone, Frances! CONGRATULATIONS!

Ava - Did you bring your running shoes to meet Petrel? Plans to run a 5K? I remember your early posts about your mom and your daughter's wedding. It is so wonderful to see your relationship with her get so much better!

Daevid - the memory of my last week of drinking has kept me sober so far. I did write it down lest I forget, but somehow I don't think that will happen! Congratulations on a week sober - the rest of your stuff will be easier to sort out now, for sure.

DD - Sorry about your mice. We had that in our apt. many years ago - gross and hard to deal with.

SFx - That taking responsibility for others is natural, but also something you should keep an eye on. They are all grown ups (well, in years anyway). I, too, used to have booze filled conferences. It is a wonder I remember what I learned at any of them. Glad to see you stayed sober.

Byrdie - Holy Heat Wave, Batman! 96 is pretty hot. I need to change the paper in my kitchen drawers. Hope it goes well - stay cool!

My vacation is over and I'm back to work tomorrow. Can't complain - I had a lovely vacation and I really like my job so it isn't hard to go back to. You might be seeing less of me here, though... Last year at this time I would have had a hangover as I would have "celebrated" with many drinks. I might be having a couple tonight just so I could "sleep." So happy to be rested and rarin' to go!

Happy SOBER Sunday,
            Pav

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you guys for your continuing support. Sweating on health issues now, still a few twinges, just when I thought they had gone. Very worrying.
              ?Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.?

― George Carlin

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for all the support, guys.

The weekend has tough, been good. Last night, at church, I got very emotional and had a little breakdown. I really had not been thinking in advance, but the church that we went to was in the neighboring town. I used to be a member there, but had not visited it in many years. Well, during communion, I had a flashback. It was actually the church I married in, 29 years ago and my daddy walked me down the aisle. Also, my oldest dtr was baptized in that church 27 years ago....to the day (July 26th) and my daddy was her Godfather. It just really shook me up. I recovered though, and we all went out and had a nice meal together.
                Today, we went to church with my step mother. All of my sisters and one of my stepsisters attended. After church, we had a nice meal at my step mothers house. Missed daddy terribly, but trying to focus on the good memories.

Sarah!!! WTG, girl! Join the club of those enjoying the sober life! It's the ONLY way to go!!!
                :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey P.S. Some of you have my cell number and send sweet messages. Just wanted to let you know that my cell is out of commission right now. So please don't think I am ignoring you if you send a message and I don't answer.
                  :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Awesome news Sarah, so happy you determined to have your Day 1!! Stick around, you know the drill

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All! Looks like some great things happening here! Way to go Sarah! You should feel really proud!

I made it through two nights camping - woo hoo! First night I stayed up and had a cup with random "other" things in it, but it did feel a bit hard. Second night, I just used the kids as an excuse to turn in early. No one asked me questions, and I felt SOOOOOO much better than I would have typically the next morning. Mountain air and sobriety is a wonderful thing. Come to think of it, most things and sobriety are wonderful. I still struggle a bit with feeling like I am not "participating", but I think that is more in my head than anything. And more than anything, I just feel like AL just isn't really necessary for ANYTHING. At all.

I will read back in a bit to catch up, but I had a brief moment on this busy Sunday to post! I was so excited to post on roll call. Keep up the good work Peeps!

As a quick note: I have the rare pleasure of going to the grocery store BY MYSELF. I used to take the opportunity to get a shot of something prior, and have a bottle of wine waiting for the after... which left me pretty sloshy by 7:00. I just don't understand why I wanted to do this, but I have absolutely NO desire now and I'm really looking forward to some easy shopping time, as well as a sober evening.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey guys - have been out for the day. Funny, something as simple as a day out in the park with a couple of friends and a couple of people I don't know.

I could feel the mind saying "don't go out". But meditation has helped me want to step outside my comfort zone. And during the day I grew progressively more quiet and tired, and my brain thought "just have a beer".

But, I held out and focused on my awareness of my thoughts. So as a result, I have strengthened myself today. Booze only holds me back from growth. And growth only occurs by stepping beyond your comfort zone. Booze keeps me in my comfort zone by keeping me from dealing with reality and my emotions.

So althought I feel a bit down right now, today has been a positive.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner;1687009 wrote: And growth only occurs by stepping beyond your comfort zone. Booze keeps me in my comfort zone by keeping me from dealing with reality and my emotions.
                          You already know how to stress and then rest your muscles to grow them, Londoner, and it sounds like you did a similar thing today. Just remember not to increase the weight too fast or forget where your spotters are .
                          Congratulations on getting past 3 weekends!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Daevid congratulations on 7 days thats huge and worry about what will be when it happens. Giving up al for me stopped so many ailments that i used to suffer from when drinking but damn turning 50 has made everything else fall apart. I told my mum i swore i was healthier when i was drinking but we know thats total crap. Thinking of you and stay strong. Life will get better and i always think i poured this crap into my body for 20+ years so it will take time to heal inside and out.

London great work on you day out. As NS said take it easy, day by day is all we can do. Dont listen to the "fark its" and definitely dont listen to that al brain. You are doing so well.

Byrd i will pass on the message for tooththirty. oh dear, maybe this is why he is in hiding lol.

SF its funny how we perceive people and when we meet them we look nothing like we thought. I happily (being my avatar) chased him in the park (his being a bird) ha ha. I just said to him that he didnt look like an alcoholic. Not many people do really.

Going home today and its been a great few days away. Broke my iphone (mums fault for dropping it on the tiles), broke mums computer (my fault, no comment), seen the sun, met Petrel, relaxed and spent quality sober time with one that i love, mum. funny how when i drank i could not wait to get away and home to get right back into my drinking routine and now i dont want to go home.

Life is good.
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Another amazing post, Ava! I am so happy to hear those great reports. I hope you are not one of the folks who offered IT help for our site....:H

Londoner, any day you can put in the win column moves us forward in this process. So proud of your 21 days!! Getting outside is good!

Stay strong all! B
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Ava for your words of support. Very much appreciated.

― George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X