Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanks NS!

I will read the article. You are very kind to find it!

Love,

Sarah

NoSugar;1686797 wrote: Sarah, Waking up to your post about your day 1 was just great! I hope you are proud of yourself and seeing how strong you really can be. And if you can do it once, you can do it again, so on to day 2!

You are quite a night owl! (we're in the same time zone). Everyone laughs at me for how early I go to bed when I can. Have you always had that kind of rhythm? Anyway, I hope you get enough sleep and another thing, I found going to bed a great way to escape from cravings in the early days.

You might be surprised about those tremors if you give yourself enough time without alcohol. Even if it turns out that AL isn't the cause, high doses might greatly exacerbate, not suppress, the symptoms.

I read this article about it: Daily Boozing Can Double Risk Of Involuntary (essential) Tremor In Later Life - Medical News Today and was struck by the concluding paragraph:

Please stick with this, Sarah, even though the first several days will be rough. The sober you will be able to deal with all the other stuff of life so much better.

Congratulations to your son for earning the scholarship - that is a great accomplisment!

All the best, NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Darkest Diamond;1687464 wrote: "It's four in the morning" sounds like a Leonard Cohen song!

Thank you to everyone who has helped me on this forum, I have felt great love, still do. It has helped me through the toughest time of my life. I am feeling very unhappy at the moment, lots of darkness and repetitive negative thought patterns re mice and also cancer.
      So I say goodbye (for a bit, few days/ months however long it takes) but I will still post in roll call xxxxx
      close, otis redding 'coffee and cigarettes'.

lurk if it helps. post if it helps. dont get out of this habit though. please let one of us know how you are occasionally if you dont post.

Comment

Newbies Nest

DD we all only want what is best for you and i for one would miss you but only you can decide what is best for you. You are a valued asset to the nest in showing the newbies that they are able to give up even if crap is thrown at them and that is what newbies like to see. The "wow if she can do it with all that she is going through, then i certainly can".

Take care DD, hugs to you. xxxx
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

I have a full day of work ahead of me but wanted to jump in & wish everyone a wonderful AF Tuesday!

DD, I hope you can stay somewhat connected to us, we will miss hearing from you
          I hope our positive thoughts & prayers help you thru this next step.

Have a great AF Tuesday everyone!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kensho, I have been thinking about your experience in the grocery store line. Advertisers pay BIG money to show how cool/sexy/romantic AL is. BIG MONEY! Heck, I've seen ads that made BEER look good and I never drank that EVER! They make it with apples or oranges just bursting with healthy juice to lure you in. It is marketing at its best!! If I were marketing alcoholism, I would post pictures of my hubs not speaking to me in the mornings because I passed out on the couch at 8 o'clock. I would have pictures of a wary middle aged woman taking desperate gulps from a hidden bottle in her closet. I would show the looks of disappointment on my family's face when I, once again, let them down. This works two ways, but you don't see my way in ads, only in person. Don't let those multimillion dollar advertisements fool you for one second. AL is poison to us. That is why support is so critical...the whole world is telling you it's ok to drink and enjoy! Only WE know that it's not ok at all.

Cherokeeer, here's hoping this week at work is better!!
            nfire:
            Congrats on your 60 days!!! That is outstanding!!!
            :goodtime: :goodtime:
            Wooootie Hoot from the gang!!!

DD, my heart just bleeds for you. I'm sorry that you are walking thru a very dark patch at the moment. I tell you, my friend's son would give absolutely anything to hold his mother's hand today. It wouldn't matter if she only had one breast and thinning hair....it WOULDN'T MATTER at all, if he only had her! Our bodies are just the carriers for our soul...and you have enough of that for 2 people!! YOU are what people care about!! We have never seen what you look like and we all love you! The other stuff will take care of itself with time. I hope you stay here with us, your input is so important. You will never be alone with us here! We care deeply about you. Please hang in there....I bet if you can get a good night's sleep under your belt, the whole situation will look brighter! We are thinking of you and holding you close in our thoughts.
            Edit to add: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful and easy day today!!!
            Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Birthday DD :bday7: Hope you don't leave, maybe just read for a while..someone may inspire you, or you may inspire someone. Thanks for all the other welcomes. Sorry to dissapoint.

So my first AF night attempt was somewhat a bust, but not really. The anxiety got to me late evening around 10:30 (I guess the supplements I am taking are helping but not a magic cure). I was losing my mind so I ended up going to a nearby gas station which had these mini bottles of wine so I got 2 (they were smaller than beer bottles) . I don't really drink wine, and this was vey bad quality, but I drank them anyway to "calm my nerves". It's a far way from the amount of hard alcohol I would normally drink, so I think it was still some progess..I had no buzz and have no hangover..and I drank them begrudgingly in the safety of my own backyard. Previous times I have quit the anxiety was the hardest part...never had serious withdrawal symptoms, but definately on edge. Nothing to drink yet today, so we'll see how my nerves hold up for another attempt tonight. As one tagline reads here...one day at a time (my sister actualy ended up tatooing that on her arm to remind her)
              “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

DD - I agree with everyone else who has encouraged you to stay here in whatever capacity supports you best. My heart really goes out to you. I know what it's like to feel so overwhelmed, so sad and afraid. If you feel that you need to direct your energy inward, by all means you should do that. If it brings you any energy to come here and lurk, post, whatever - please do.

Big hugs, look forward to seeing you one day ahead of me in roll call if not here.

Speaking of roll call, CONGRATS on 90 DAYS today!!!

:l :h
                Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dang, Wags, how did I miss 90 days???
                  Help me roll out the red carpet and tune up the trumpets for that!!!!
                  Darkest Diamond, on behalf of the entire Newbie's Nest, please accept this small token of a big job!!!
                  :crowned:
                  You are the Queen today!!!! AND a birthday girl on top of it all! We are so happy and proud of you for your reign here! You EARNED this award (not born into it) day by day! Well done on this amazing feat!

See The Light, something similar happened to me early on, it was 8 o'clock at night and I had that day in the bag! My hubs went downstairs to check something and I ran to the fridge and filled a coffee mug with wine and gulped it down. WTH????? I was so mad at myself! It didn't do a thing for me except derail me! It didn't happen again, so if you can learn something from your experience, than it won't be a bust. Let's give it another go today!
                  PS, If I had listened and gotten all the AL out of my space that wouldn't have happened. (I was a very resistant case, thought I knew all!!) B
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Came across this quote...

“Nothing worthwhile ever happens quickly and easily. You achieve only as you are determined to achieve… and as you keep at it until you have achieved.”
                    Overcoming Addiction Quote by Robert H. Lauer

I think sometimes I get impatient with recovery and expect this monkey to get off my back more quickly than is realistic. But it is definitely worthwhile to me...to be sober. There are going to be times that we just have to face difficult circumstances (and we can minimize these at times) and walk past or through them. Keep the faith, that with each day, you'll get stronger, healthier, and these circumstances won't seem overwhelmingly scary, or even make you sad. Believe!
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Nest:

DD - 90 days is stupendous! Happy Birthday, and I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. I think please use our support when you need it - maybe print Byrdie's most excellent post to remember that you have the strength of this group behind you.

Cherokeer! Great to see you, too. 60 days is quite a feat. I love those big, round numbers, and I love your enthusiasm!

STL - I was having anxiety like that and I said to my husband, "I think I need a beer." He said, "you don't need a beer." That was it. I took a bath, ate a bunch, and lived through terrible anxiety. I slept sitting up that night, with the football game on in the back ground (and I don't even watch football). Maybe call up the toolbox (see Byrdie's signature) for some tips when you feel that way tonight.

Off to work, and feeling great (although I did have a little, short beer dream last night - I woke up before I drank). Glad it was just a dream.

Happy Tuesday,
                      Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats to you, Cherokeer, on 60 days! Two full months of living. And there's more to come!

DD, first of all, you know what is best for yourself. I hope you continue to receive support for your health issues now, though. Speaking to one group or another and receiving the support is the most important. Happy Birthday and Happy 90 days!
                        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's day 9 and everything seems so surreal. I feel like I'm living in a Salvadore Dali painting. I go to the market for a cooked breakfast most days. The people there are crazy and I have to keep doing a reality check. Nothing is real. No twinges so far today but I don't want to speak to soon.
                          ?Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.?

― George Carlin

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 6, and I've been having drinking thoughts today. While out I came home as quickly as I could I didn't need the temptation of stopping even for food and picking some up. I really hate these moments.

Comment

Newbies Nest

??.?*?*?*??)
                              ?.???.?*??) ?.?*?)
                              (?.?? (?.?` ? Happy Birthday, DD and Happy 90 Days AF!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie- thanks for the story..I am going to try again (I have nothing in my house..I now just need to stay in it at night for a bit).

Pav-Likewise, thanks. My wife was already asleep else I could have used her encourgaing words to stop me (luckily she does not drink at all)

Daevid- Great job on day 9..I can't remember ever going that long but know that the 1st few days are always the hardest and I aim to get through them this time...hang in there

Momofthree- also great job! 6 days is about my record, so i know it can be hard..don't give in to weakness..do something else to stay busy..and drink water or something to fill that need //it does suck nowadays that you can buy something now almost anywhere
                                “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Working...
                                X