Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Congrats DD on your 90 days and Happy B-day!

I will most likely be out of the nest for a few days, as another friend from HS passed away last night. The family has not released what happened other than they found him. Arrangements aren't final yet, but ironically hes being buried in the same cemetery as one of my other best friends from HS who died many years ago. It brings back quite a bit of anguish.

Not surprising to tell you all...I'll have to do another Day 1.

Love to you all and talk soon,

Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, all:

Byrdie - How DO you find those posts. Thanks for sharing.

The Bubble Hour also has a good show about perfectionism that I recommend. One way that perfectionism hamstrung me was in simple decision making. For example - we had an old shower curtain, stained with mildew, but I looked and looked and looked - for over A WHOLE YEAR - and never bought a shower curtain because they were never quite right. How ridiculous is that? (Edit to add: I have a new shower curtain now and a lot of other imperfect stuff).

Kensho - I think that you will find your productivity will ultimately increase. I have to admit that it took me some time to start to feel "normal" again - not that I knew what normal was. I felt fuzzy, forgetful and unfocused for a while (read about PAWS), but honestly really started to feel better at about 7 months. There were ups and downs - which was a little surprising to me. I sort of thought that life would be all unicorns and rainbows when I got sober, but life is actually just life. I feel honestly content and happy in my own skin in a way I haven't in a long time, however, and even the downs of getting through becoming sober were much higher than the lows of drinking. You have a great attitude and I love the way you post. Keep it up.

Good night folks.

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie and Kuya , Great post .
        Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
        Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning peeps! Day 7 and feeling good. Rode through the cravings yesterday and pushed on, a little irritable but that passed as well. Today I'm going to paint and make some cookies for the kids, we go through a lot of baked goods in this house. To distress last night I jumped in the corner whirlpool we have, added some bubbles and just relaxed. Normally I don't ever make time to do it, the kids get to use it way more then we ever do but I decided to make the time and it felt like I had a spa night, it was lovely. I think I may do that more often! How is everyone feeling today? Any exciting plans for anyone?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Happy Hump day to everyone

mo3, Congrats on your 7 AF days - great!!!!
            I like the idea of self-care while going thru this transition & always really!

Our weather has turned unusually cool - nice for a change.
            Think I'll get outside & enjoy it while it's here.
            Have a great AF Wednesday one & all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 1-check

Thanks Lav for the welcome. Great job again Mo3..keep it up. Kensho- Punch that voice in the face..it is surely telling you the wrong things (its great that you recognize it though).

So I stayed late at work last night to help avoid any temptations. When I got home I just chilled for a while and watch TV with my kids. After wife and kids went to bed I decide to check work e-mails and see this messge from my a-hole boss that totally pissed me off. So immediately I think...screw this, I need a drink. So just like the the night before, I decide to get in my car and head to a near by gas station to get something to "help me through". Unlike the night before, however, I realize how stupid and out of control I feel about half way down my street. So I turned my car around and went back home. At home I have in my supplents supply chest these L-Glutamine chews I bought the week before (you can by them by the bag at GNC..they taste like grape bubble gum). So I have a few and feel better, and ended up eating like 8 and felt kinda sick, but didn't feel like drinking anymore. Not 100% sure what is a good dose, or even why they are supposed to help..but would do it again in an instant if it stops me from drinking. We'll see if it or what works for me next time. For now, AF 1 day + and feeling Ok
              “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mof3, congratulations on your 7 big days!!!!
                Nesters, please join me in a collective MOON for Mom!!
                :moon:

This is for kicking AL's arse for a full week! No butts about it, those first 7 days are the most challenging...so if you didn't crack, :H, let's keep going!!! We are so happy for you!

STL, GREAT JOB to you on turning things around! Getting D1 behind you is major! Onwards and upwards, you are breaking the cycle!!! :l

Pav, another great post!
                Sarah, I'm so sorry about your friend, I know that's a deep cut.
                Good to see everyone checking in! Do whatever it takes to get thru this day AF!!! If I can do it, I know you can, too!! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations, Mom of Three and See the Light!:goodjob:

Keep up the great work!
                  :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

STL - Awesome job turning that car around and going back home. Experiences like this will make you stronger and help rewire your thinking. How much L-glutamine is in each chew?

Momof3 - Excellent job on your end as well! Riding out those cravings and pushing through is another thing that will make you stronger and help rewire your thinking, just like STL's mental and physical u-turn in his car. Congrats on completing 7 days AF!

Kensho - I really encourage you to hang in there with your work and don't fall for the AL trap that tries to convince you that you'll be more productive or able to cope if you drink. It seriously isn't true. I started to see a major difference re: work after a few weeks AF, and by day 30 things were really turning a corner. Ride this out and it will get better!

Pav
                    - Thanks for the link to the perfectionism bubble hour. I'll head over later to check this out.

Jane
                    - Thanks for the PM - I wasn't on here much yesterday and just had a chance to reply. What happened with my paddling team wasn't really one incident, it was just a feeling of my coach not liking me much. Now, a few weeks later, I'm 99% convinced that she's pretty insecure and really craves attention. I think she's a bit threatened by women who are self-assured and confident, which I am in most ways. We had practice last night and I was able to try giving her a bit of the attention she seems to love, and she responded positively. In the meantime, I'm connecting with more team members and that's all going well, except they are mostly hardcore drinkers. As we were coming back to the dock last night, the chants used to motivate people to paddle hard all the way in were cries of various drink names (tequila! stroke... margarita! stroke...) Sigh... I know I'll have to deal with this socially at some point, but for now I'm delaying that and just focusing on paddling and friendship.
                    Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wagmore, just got off of Prize Patrol to rush over here and congratulate you on your 90 days!!!
                      :crowned:

Thank you for all you do around here. The pay stinks but the rewards are priceless!!! Congratulations to you!!! xo, Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks all
                        Wag- each chew is 2500 MG (2.5 Grams). which I don't think is a lot by itself, although can't find anything on what is a good dose for AL. The link below shows 40 grams per day as a good max does for most adults (Adults should avoid using more than 40 grams of glutamine daily). I don't intened to make a long term diet of it, but it did seem to help (I think its the sugar thing). Although if
                        anyone knew otherwise, please advise...

l-glutamine (glutamine: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD)
                        “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

See the Light;1688001 wrote: Thanks all
                          Wag- each chew is 2500 MG (2.5 Grams). which I don't think is a lot by itself, although can't find anything on what is a good dose for AL. The link below shows 40 grams per day as a good max does for most adults (Adults should avoid using more than 40 grams of glutamine daily). I don't intened to make a long term diet of it, but it did seem to help (I think its the sugar thing). Although if
                          anyone knew otherwise, please advise...

l-glutamine (glutamine: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD)

STL
                          - The 40g dose you saw was for people suffering from HIV wasting or possibly cancer wasting. A much more typical dose for reducing alcohol or sugar cravings is 500mg-3g at once, 1-3 times per day. If your chews have 2500mg, that would be one chew, possibly two. I personally use L-glutamine 2-3 times per day on some days and I use 2-3g per dose, max. I use a powder and put it under my tongue for faster absorption. My reference for all of this is Julia Ross and her book The Diet Cure - it has a wealth of info on using diet and supplements (especially L-glut and other amino acids) to help re-balance all sorts of body systems including brain chemistry.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie - love my prize! Of course the best prize of all is being AF and loving my life more than any time in the past 10 years.

Onward and upward to 100 Days and Triple Digits!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wagmore..thanks -you are right...just checked out the Health Store link from MWO (below) for this product and what I had was too much for a normal does (although I'm sure I was I thinking about that when I took them)...anyway, I'm going to get them in my normal supplement routine, but take as needed and advised.

L-Glutamine For Alcohol Recovery

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

STL - Sounds like you're on track. I hope you find that L-glut helps you. I haven't used it as much for AL cravings, but I am certain it helps with sugar cravings.

Best to you, and again, good job with the u-turn last night!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X