Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I realized something last night after confronting my fears with my mother-in-law. Not drinking alcohol doesn't make me weak, it makes me strong. I don't need AL - I am a better person without it. :H
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats Kensho - I think you made the right call. Last time "I quit" (around mid April) I made the msitake of not saying anything in the company of mixed drinkers and fell victim to peer pressure that I possibly could have avoided by being upfront (I started the night with coke, ended with rum and coke).

So last night the urges and anxiety were as strong as ever. Instead of working later, I went to lift weights at my healh club, which was a welcomed change that tired me out some. When I got home I hung with my kids and wife and destracted myslef with TV as the night became later. Drank about a gallon of ice water (I'm just realizing how much the AL drinking from the previous weeks was dehydrating me). Took my supplements, and with minimal drama, just went to bed. On to AF day #4
      “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

KENSHO;1688655 wrote: I realized something last night after confronting my fears with my mother-in-law. Not drinking alcohol doesn't make me weak, it makes me strong. I don't need AL - I am a better person without it. :H
        You've got that right, Kensho!
        Stopping AL abuse takes strength and courage!! I feel much more empowered now that I have quit than I EVER did WITH AL!!! I used to drink to give myself courage, but that was actually a lie. Drinking robbed me of my courage ultimately. I have never felt better and more on top of my game than I do now. I AM operating with more information! It's all good!!

Sarah, having just gone thru a similar loss, I can relate. I thought I was going to be a mess at the funeral, and then her 15 year old son requested my sister and I be in the FAMILY group! I don't know how I made it thru, but I did. You will find the strength you need and in your own way. My thoughts are with you. :l

Shore up your plans for the weekend, Friday is just another day! You will wake up tomorrow thanking your lucky stars you had the good sense NOT to drink!!! Hallelooya! Do whatever it takes to get thru this day AF!!! Byrdie

Edit to add:
        STL, great going on changing your plans and keeping busy! Remember, at 7 days you get mooned! Hang in there.....no matter what! Well done, you!!
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

It does feel good not to drink, I think we can definitely all agree on that one. Ive been buying loads of lemons and making lemon water and keep it in the fridge, it does seem to help. I always have to have something cold on hand. When I do get the urge that I need and would love a drink I try to eat instead, or drink lots of fluids. I find it doesn't even have to be that much, just something there and have it fast and it does help push that feeling away.
          My husband told me last night that he was happy how well I was doing, it made me feel really good. It gave me the desire again today to push for the double digits. I believe now opening up to those close to you does help, I never would have before. I always thought they would look at me differently. But I also believe you do have to be careful on who you open up to, not everyone has your best interest in mind and its best to guard certain things as well. Ive found that out the hard way. Know your circle.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kensho - great job with your M-I-L and avoiding the wine! Love your attitude as well: not drinking makes you STRONG

Ava
            - Huge congrats on 8 months!!! Wow, 2/3 of a full year. Seems like just yesterday you were at 6 months. You sound strong and prepared for your son's party, and I'm sure you'll tell any Al-voice that comes along to stick it :H

I am going camping this weekend and will be off the grid until Sun or Mon. Mixed company of drinkers and non, but all very good long-time friends and there will be no problems for me with not drinking nor any pressure to join in - it's not that kind of group. However, it will be good practice with saying "I don't drink" and I'm actually looking forward to that opportunity.
            Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sorry to keep P.S.'ing
              But I was watching the Today Show this morning and they all are embarking on a 30 day detox of their worst vices and invited viewers to do the same. If you need a quick and easy excuse, maybe you can say you are joining them in this project. Just a thought. B
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning. What was that about day 7? I'm on day 3 and feeling great about waking up sober. I'm drinking gobs of sparkling water and eating a bit more than usual, and taking l. glutamine. I really think its all helping. I want to move through the times that usually get me back to drinking this time and I'm really thinking about tools and attitudes to help me out with that. Thanks for all the input. Thanks for the advice about making plans for those times where the triggers occur. I have some coming up. I used to stop after times when drinking helped me get through, this time I want to sail it with out. My daughters coming next week and we aren't getting along so well, however she is bringing my 8 year old love of my life grandson and I'll get him for 3 days after she and her husband leave. I figure if I tell them we can't have beer around right now, they'll leave even quicker! So this could work for me. Starting Day 3 AF and feeling strong.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ja, I'm the 'self appointed' Prize Patrol. When a nester racks up 7 days, they get this prize, :moon: It's a silly little thing, but if it saves one person from taking a drink that day to achieve some recognition, it's worth it. Keep working on your PLAN, it makes all the difference to know exactly what to do or say in a situation. GREAT job on your 3 days! You are now operating under your own power! B
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ja, have you spent any time in the toolbox? You are sure to find an artillery of ideas to combat AL if you haven't.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Can't wait for the moon, Byrdlady! Does it also come with a temporary tattoo? And thanks Kensho, I'll dig in to the toolbox some more. I knew I was going to quit again on Wed because I had friends over to visit on Tuesday evening and they were expecting beer. I live on my 39' sailboat in a marina across from Seattle. Anyway, I started drinking long before they showed and somehow ended up smacking my back real hard getting out of a chair on my foredeck. Moving has been painful to say the least. I'm a gardener by profession so the injury has put me out of work for a few days. Damn AL. I don't usually hurt myself drinking, I mostly just bore myself to sleep way to early. Glad to have found this site and am thankful for the support.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ja, Hope your back mends quickly! A 39' sailboat, how wonderful. The Pisces in me would love that.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just watched this documentary that Guitarista posted over on his thread, The House that G Built. It is an eye opener!! If you get a chance, or get wobbly this weekend, this should straighten you out!! Great find, G!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkbduSXggw
                          Ja, not sure how to get a Motion Tattoo, but I'll put my best man on it and see what we can come up with!! Sorry about your back, that's 3 people I know TODAY with back issues!!! Hubs, Mick (over on the AF daily thread) and YOU! Hope you are upright again soon! B
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I can see that this really takes some reprogramming. Just sitting here, I am thinking that I may want to work late to get a few things completed before the weekend - and the familiar thought of "just drink through it" pops into my head. Stopping, and visualizing how drinking destroys me - and NOT drinking builds me back up, is helping.

Tomorrow is my former bike and brew tour with friends - or as I now call it "bike and be new" tour. I have made a long list of tools to print and bring with me - and have a few really strong images I'm revisiting throughout today that I think will help. I am excited for the bike and social thing with friends, and these places have other beverages too, along with food (some are just restaurants). I will bring a few flavored waters with me that I love, and will make it a goal to invent a new non-AL drink at each place. I am remembering how fun last night became once I said no and focused on conversation and connecting with the people, not the booze. And once I tell my friends that I'm not drinking - it will be out there and easier to follow through with. They are good friends and they will understand. I am also giving myself the option to just leave and let them drink if it gets too hard. I could steal my friend away to bike over to a shop or something while the boys stay - and I know she would do that with me. I hope I'm not overconfident here - or risking too much, but I feel I have a solid plan in place. I will check in and update my travels.

I am also really looking forward to my reward at two weeks - friday the 15th - when I scheduled a pedicure and facial. I figured out I spent much more money on booze than I could bring myself to spend on spa stuff, so I am going to treat myself to that once a month from here out (my absolute FAVORITE way to pamper me - yet something I usually only let myself do once a year!)

Feeling strong.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

So, I'm heading out for a long weekend to take my family to the beach before school starts (looks like in some rain apparently, but we'll still have fun). I took my last drink on Monday night, so if I make it untiil I return this Monday night, that will be 7 full days AF for me. Since my high school days about 25 years ago, I can't remember 1 full week without even 1 drink. My wife doesn't drink and I'm bringing a box o supplements, so I think that will help. If I make it, I'll certainly keep going. If I don't, I will pick myself up and try again. Hope everyone here has a great AF weekend.
                              “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

Change 'if' to 'when', STL! Visualize yourself in the situations you 'll be in and see yourself not drinking. Make up a story for yourself - starring AF you! Think about writing the post in the NN when you return, telling everyone how you did it! I'll be looking forward to reading that post .

Comment

Working...
                                X