Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Me, too, NS!
    Visualize success and you will have it!! I live at the beach, if I can do it, I know you can, too...besides, you dont wanna miss your moon! B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Ginger for the encouragement and anytime you are around Seattle give a shout out, we'll see if we can visit topside with some non-al refreshments.

I saw that documentary Byrdlady just mentioned and the liver they took from that woman made me want to puke and apologize to my own. I didn't puke, but I did put my hand on my liver side and whispered sweet nothings to her. It's so easy for us to forget what Al is doing to our bodies...

As the day has progressed I'm feeling kind of crappy. Not sure if it's my body coming back into balance or the Aleve I took for my back. I just went and bought some "IcyHot" patches to get off the Aleve and see if that works. I spent a couple of hours with the toolbox and learned a bunch about people's first 30, so I'm not going to spend much time wondering what's up with me, just drink more water, rest and stay AF!

I'm thinking that along with accepting the fact that al and me don't mix, not if I want any kind of life and peace of mind, accepting the ride and recovery wouldn't hurt a bit either. Thanks all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I never realized how many of our recreational activities involve alcohol. At a restaurant with same in laws and said no - seems to bother them. But "no" nonetheless.

Edit after the evening: I am home now. I am happy that I did not drink, because I'm not sneaking downstairs to get more shots I don't need, and I am not falling into bed - nor will I be waking up at 3am with anxiety and yuck. But I feel fairly isolated. I sense that the family doesn't understand or like my "not joining" - they seem pensive about it. Maybe it's just in my head. I want to enjoy going to dinner and getting ice cream, not feel on the outskirts. AL used to relax me and made me feel more at ease socially, and maybe that's what I am missing. I can't think of a time, really, that I've socialized with more than one person in an evening w/o AL in the past 18 years because I tend to be more quiet and serious w/o it. Makes sense that it feels different. I might need to get some counseling on this. How have others "adjusted" to a social life, and other close personal relationships? I feel some dead air - maybe I just need to clear it and explain what I'm doing and why. No one knew how much I was drinking and I don't think anyone would guess I had a problem because I didn't do it around others or have many outward signs - I'm sure they are just as confused as me. I think it might be easier if I was a falling down drunk at parties, but the people I told before we're surprised. This is the crap I don't want to deal with but know I will have to to get to the other side.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

I hope everyone had a good day like I did -
          Even though half of it was spent chasing a 3 & a 5 year old - exhausting :H

Stick with your plans everyone & you'll do just fine!
          You'll never be sorry, I promise

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

j-vo;1687589 wrote: Came across this quote...

?Nothing worthwhile ever happens quickly and easily. You achieve only as you are determined to achieve? and as you keep at it until you have achieved.?
            Overcoming Addiction Quote by Robert H. Lauer

I think sometimes I get impatient with recovery and expect this monkey to get off my back more quickly than is realistic. But it is definitely worthwhile to me...to be sober.
            Thinking of you tonight, J-Vo. You are one of people on this board that I respect tremendously. I know I'm going to be watching you bounce right back.
            You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavender, thanks I'm focusing on me. I'm losing weight, feeling good. Several things have gone to hell the last couple of weeks... car accident (new car), daughter had a miscarriage, dog is sick, new puppy....$$$$$$ right out the window. Job may be closing its doors. The only thing that made me want to drink was my ASS face husband. The rest didn't faze me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kensho, I felt the same isolation early on. It takes your drinking friends/family some time to get used to a new sober you. Some even feel a little guilty because they know they need to be doing exactly what you are doing now. You are a reminder they need to do the same work. I can attest that social events do get easier with time. It's just one more thing that we need to learn to navigate through. Isn't it great though that you can come here and share with people that know exactly what you are talking about?

Stay strong, do this for you and stay close!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Everybody! Waking up sober and feeling the best yet. Starting Day 4 AF. Yippee.

Hey Kensho don't know if this will help, but I suffered from depression and anxiety for many years which the alcohol seemed to mitigate for a while. I didn't quit for long ever because I couldn't shake the misery I felt socially during the quits. Everybody kind of liked me better when I drank as long as they didn't see the ugly side of it for me and I behaved myself socially, which of course, becomes harder and harder to do. My friends wanted to believe my lies so that I could continue to fit into how things were going.

I finally, went to the Doctor for depression and am taking medicine, which I had loudly refused for years and I'm seeing a therapist weekly. I was diagnosed with PTSD from some stuff in the past and the depression. Anyway, just like admitting I had a problem with Alcohol was important, for me admitting I had some other stuff going on was important too.

Because I'm getting the help for the depression, I feel stronger than ever before to tackle life AF. I've wanted to for years and always ran from it out of fear of depression and isolation. That's just my story, or part of it. I'm hoping you the best as you walk through this and hang in there. You are an incredibly aware person and I know you are picking up insights and wisdoms every step of the way.:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Happy Saturday to one & all
                    I started mine off at 7:30 am - on little kid watch again this morning. DIL is running her first 5K - wish her luck.

Chero, I had to totally disconnect (emotionally) from my husband. I realized at some point that what I had going here was co-dependent & unhealthy for both of us. He really removed himself emotionally many years ago, I was just too stubborn to accept the fact & so I drank to dull the pain. Whatever you do keep yourself & your quit foremost in your mind. The rest will work itself out, eventually.

Ja, I suffered from serious anxiety & depression for year & the wine did help....for a while. I didn't do well on Rx ADs so I ended up finding a good quality OTC (St John's Wort) combo product called Amoryn & have been on that nearly 6 years & AF nearly 5 1/2 years. We all need to find what works best for each of us. Glad you found your way out too!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Saturday!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!
                      Kensho, you have heard me say that staying sober is a skill that is learned. You have just ripped the scab off your social world, and it takes some time to find your way again. I was extremely worried that I would lose my 'personality' when I quit. Initially, I was awkward and really shy! I remember one party I went to ( went a bit late instead of being the first one there to PRELOAD) and folks were already loose. So I loosened up too! I acted drunk! But not to the extreme like I was when I drank! You can let loose too! Only now you will have something we lose when we drink....judgment! Once you get a little confidence you can play around with this, pretty soon, you will fine the person you THOUGHT AL brought out is still under there! Like Ginger said, the folks you are with are now looking in the mirror, and it may not be so pretty. If they have a problem with you NOT drinking then that is THIER problem. The people without issues with AL dont notice. The ones who do, do. The ones with REAL problems, REALLY do. See if they will donote their liver to you should you need one. In others words, to thine own self be true! This is your life, and you are the steward of it.

Ja, keep up the great work, what a feeling of freedom amd strength, right? I will be shimg a moon your way soon!!!

Stay strong, everyone. One drink isnt going to do you any good. Do whatever it takes to be AF today! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

morning all!
                        Saturday morning cartoons
                        http://youtu.be/3qT8mAbsHI8?list=PL4fODSFdeae8Cs09-PnVf2jWyS1lwhegx[/video]]Plop Goes The Weasel 1953) - YouTube
                        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

well nearly 1am here and i survived my sons 21st party. I had the boys saying i had to have one drink for tyes birthday and tye, being as drunk as a newt said "no mum cant or she will be back on the wine in no time" and Mia said "no mum doesnt drink anymore". They had my back. I really did want a drink, cant deny that fact but i chose not to and i am in bed sober and happy. I know i wont wake up like Tye tomorrow thank god and i was there for when tye needed a shower and to wipe him and dress him. Damn that was hilarious i must say but hes my baby always and forever. it was a great feeling to hold a conversation that i remember and laugh with them all and enjoy it sober.

Tired but happy Ava in Aus land and sleep in for me today. The mess can wait till when i wake up.
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ava, warms my heart to hear how your kids support you. What a great thing to stay sober for!! Glad you made it.

My husband woke up to a hangover! Not huge, but I was humming and he was grumpy. Don't miss that at ALL!

I have my plan in place for the bike tour today, and I'm looking forward to it. Have a great Saturday All!
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1688750 wrote: I just watched this documentary that Guitarista posted over on his thread, The House that G Built. It is an eye opener!! If you get a chance, or get wobbly this weekend, this should straighten you out!! Great find, G!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkbduSXggw
                              Ja, not sure how to get a Motion Tattoo, but I'll put my best man on it and see what we can come up with!! Sorry about your back, that's 3 people I know TODAY with back issues!!! Hubs, Mick (over on the AF daily thread) and YOU! Hope you are upright again soon! B
                              Hi Byrdlady,

I remember seeing this documentary during initial days of recovery, can't believe it was just about 100 days ago. It now seems like a lifetime ago !

I remember seeing it at that time with disgust and shame ... What I am doing to my body ! And this time when I opened it I felt nothing but grateful ness ! Thank my lucky stars I got rid of this . But knowing and experience alcoholism and being now in recovery it's so great. Life gives all sorts of experiences. And that phase of early recovery was a really tough one.

For all those who are struggling I must once again say it is so great to be sober ! It the best thing you can give yourself !
                              Rahul
                              --------------------------------------------
                              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                              Rebooting ... done ...
                              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1688685 wrote: Ja, I'm the 'self appointed' Prize Patrol. When a nester racks up 7 days, they get this prize, :moon: It's a silly little thing, but if it saves one person from taking a drink that day to achieve some recognition, it's worth it. B
                                You bet it help .. What what's worth it helped me a lot ! And it still helps me ... I am looking forward to 180 days ... I wonder what price u will have for me .... :H
                                Rahul
                                --------------------------------------------
                                Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                                Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                                Rebooting ... done ...
                                Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Working...
                                X