Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrdie, do you get a moon if you already got one once a few months ago?

Feels hard right now. I feel the support in this group and I won't let you down. I will just keep breathing.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Keep on here Kensho, the cravings will pass, brutal as they can be, they are way better than pouring al down your throat.

Moons are always available not on request but definitely after 7 days and damn they are great. It makes the effort so worthwhile.

Go have a shower or a bath, distract yourself. I cleaned like a maniac or posted like a lunatic. worked for me.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Brushing your teeth helps too. Thanks Ava, so right you are. Moons are earned every time ! It will be our pleasure to shine it on you too. I know it's difficult, but the worst is already behind you! B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya Nester's!

There is no shame in speaking up and reaching out. Ever. Keep it going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTNp1IbNLzA

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

I posted this in another thread but thought it might be helpful here as well:

I just finished reading Caroline Knapp's book, Drinking: A Love Story. Two things really jumped out at me in the last chapter or two.

1. She talked about sobriety feeling like she had gotten a divorce from alcohol, and she compared the old relationship to a dysfunctional marriage. This seemed spot on to me, and I really liked the analogy. Getting a divorce is rarely an easy decision or process, even when you know it's for the best for yourself and others. After ending a truly dysfunctional relationship, no contact is often the best policy, just like with Al.

2. She also made this comment about what to say or think when those "maybe" questions come up in our heads (or when triggers occur):

If I'm an alcoholic I shouldn't drink, and if I'm not, I don't need to.

True that. So simple, so accurate.

Hang in there everyone - together we are stronger.
            Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Leaving now, late start. I plan to get up in the am before the rest and go for a run. Always makes me feel good and I missed it the last few days. I am procrastinating telling hubs forever. I know he would like it if I could be a normal drinker. He hasn't commented much on it and I know he's noticed. I think he would get over it but might say the stuff like "just don't drink so much", etc. I know we have to have the conversation but I'm dreading it. I'm glad to be sober and I don't want to do days 1-7 ever again. Thx for the support. :h
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rule number 1: Alcoholics can NEVER be normal drinkers. If we were normal drinkers we would not be alcoholics.

If you are dreading it dont do it as yet. Quitting drinking has to be all about you and no one else. He can deal with this until you are ready to talk. Protect your quit Kensho with your life. I never understood why Byrd kept saying that until i realised that she was right. This is my life we are talking about and everything else can wait.

I am lucky i have a great support network with my children, they never want the drinking mum back and they will protect my quit also, they are my wingmen!
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

That's right Kensho!
                  I have long held the belief that I don't believe I have another quit in me so this one is IT!!!!!!
                  Stay on your plan - it's much easier & safer in the long run

Everyone sounds pretty good & that's great!
                  Stay close to the nest & hang on if you feel tempted. Plenty of butt Velcro available - always
                  Have a safe night everyone!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Off for a run now myself Kensho!

Aside from everyone here, Here's my current hero Ronnie. For everyone, but especially the runners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUX3ZIeS9yQ

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Everyone:

WMM - Hang tight. You got this. It could get worse first, so activate all of your plans. I prefer salt to sweet, too, which is why a milkshake works - who wants to drink with that goop!

Kensho - I am a believer in the truth. To prevent your DH from convincing you that you just need to cut down, you might want to be honest with him. Coming clean to someone you are close to is an excellent way to have a safety valve in case you're tempted. Explain why and how you know you can't drink. Maybe you're not ready yet, but in the long run that is what I believe will keep you sober.

The Bubble Hour is a podcast you can find at their website linked here. To download it on an iPod or phone, download the Podcast app and then search for the Bubble Hour through the app. Hit the cloud icon for the episodes you want and they'll download on your phone. You can also listen directly through their website but it is streaming so you have to have Internet access. I HIGHLY recommend.

Thanks everyone else for the links and such. Happy SOBER Friday.

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

peppersnow;1691244 wrote:
                        I found this video clip last night of late night host Craig Fergusson. It's really good, funny, and easy to relate to - he talks about being an alcoholic and how he has managed to remain sober for 15 years. His secret: You've gotta find other people who can't drink either and talk to them regularly about it. So for those of you who are looking for something to keep you busy tonight, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI-BhQGwDO8
                        Loved the clip, Pepper! Thanks for posting link.

Pie

Comment

Newbies Nest

Packing cooler and hubs was excited to tell me the bomber varieties he bought and I said "Cool, I won't be drinking though". He asked if I've quit and I said yes. He said forever? And I said probably (was worried). He said "good for you. If you need to quit you need to quit." I told him "I need to quit, and that I was worried what he would think" and he said that he was fine. I feel so relieved. He's not one for drama, so a fly by statement was a good way to break the ice. Thanks all, butt Velcro firmly placed. Progress and growth is happening!
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just popping in before bed ---sober day 2
                            WMM---- are you here w me????
                            Kensho: great job I always worry about my husband too bc he doesn't get why I can't drink normally but he was really impressed when I did 6 months this past year soooo I know he can be supportive

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just popping in for a quick hello.
                              I was at a clients house this week when she poured me a drink. Very unexpectedly. I am so glad that I have practiced saying no so much that it just came out naturally. No I can't have that. To me planning is a huge part of success. Picturing how you will react, practicing how you will say no. Having alternative drinks in mind before going to an event. It has gotten me through some tricky situations.
                              NS that was a tough letter to read. I know I let my daughter down many times when I was drinking. No longer. I am here for her now.
                              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

little beagle;1691313 wrote: Just popping in for a quick hello.
                                I was at a clients house this week when she poured me a drink. Very unexpectedly. I am so glad that I have practiced saying no so much that it just came out naturally. No I can't have that. To me planning is a huge part of success. Picturing how you will react, practicing how you will say no. Having alternative drinks in mind before going to an event. It has gotten me through some tricky situations.
                                NS that was a tough letter to read. I know I let my daughter down many times when I was drinking. No longer. I am here for her now.
                                LB - Great job saying no to the surprise drink, and thanks so much for the reminder about the importance of planning. I'm currently planning for situations I KNOW will arise, but your post highlights the importance of planning for the spontaneous or unexpected.

I bet your daughter knows for sure you are there for her now.

:goodjob:
                                Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Working...
                                X