Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrdie - WOW - 1300 is a very impressive number of days! Huge congratulations to you on this accomplishment. Your lucky number 13 times 100!

I am in awe of your achievement :bow

You are zooming ahead and paving the way for so many of the rest of us :racer:

Big hugs to you Byrdie, and thanks for all that you do.
    Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Brydie,

You are da bomb!!! And an inspiration. And a great advice-giver, friend and beautiful person. Thank God for you. And major congratulations!

All my gratitude,
      Mary Lou
      Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Wow Byrdie, I am happy for you
        You have been a true powerhouse here helping so many along too!
        Lots of folks owe you a great deal of gratitude

Hoping, I'm sorry you had such a scary ordeal. Sounds to me like a great lesson learned! Something similar happened to me once upon a time but I really injured myself badly. Your wakeup call has arrived so take advantage & get your plan together. The Tool box is the best place to search for ideas. Congrats on your 4 or so AF days - great start!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest! Hang on tight everyone!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kensho - I had a long reply to you and I lost it Here's the nutshell version:

It sucks that you had to snap at people to get them to listen to you, but it sounds like you had little choice. Hopefully they got the message!

Your list of the things you've noticed is awesome and hopefully will keep you motivated.
          It's great that you feel like your relationships with your kids and husband are better (both are important), but what I loved most about your list is that you like who you are and that it's fun to be you. Congratulations on this! Feeling good about yourself is amazing and I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling this way.
          Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Didn't make it, but I am so encouraged that I one day will! Byrdie, you are such an inspiration to me. I know I can do this because you and Lav and K9 and Samstone et al tell me I can ....ICAN!. Congratulations on your MASSIVE achievement!!!!!!! Wow, how great you must feel.

I think I hit the blah like Pavati is referring to in June when I took that first drink. DO NOT DRINK, Pavati and others at the blah point. It is not the solution. Let your brain heal. I truly feel that now my brain is trying to drown me in alcohol bc it can't find pleasure anymore. I think I was close in sobriety and that first drink F'CKD it all up.....Don't do it. I will get back... I will. Sobriety is the only way for us....

Lav, time for me to find those CD's......thank you

Love you all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

allankay;1691886 wrote:
              The only scenario I can think of that getting drunk would be a solution is; if there was a catastrophic event happening and we only had 12 hours to live. But that would be done purely not to spend the last 12 hours in complete state of fear and panic.

AK
              I love this. Allan, and am considering making it my signature line. I hope you don't mind if I quote you from time to time.

Hoping - Sorry about your trip to the ER. One piece of advice I got when I first came here was to write down EVERYTHING you are feeling right now in as much detail as possible. When you feel like you want a drink (which you will), dig it out and try to reconnect with this feeling as a deterrent. There is no drink in the world that would make feeling like I did on my last hangover day worth it.

Kensho - Sorry for your family insisting. Sounds like DH needs more of a whack on the head than a heart to heart - maybe you could borrow one of Ava's bricks. Great for you staying sober and being there for your kids.

Ican - I won't drink (see above!). I really can't. I don't want to go there ever again. I can hear your misery and your determination. I KNOW you can do this. I hope those CDs work. I found it VERY helpful to talk in person to a counselor - I was 100% honest, and by making more than one appointment had someone I had to account to IN PERSON every week. I couldn't just stop posting like I could here. She helped me a lot with acceptance, and with overcoming my shame in "letting this happen to me." No shame - it is an addiction...

I'm off to bed after a great hike and a delicious piece of local salmon.

Butt velcro firmly applied, passing to the left.

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Evening Nesters,
                Checking in at the end of Day 2-- hasn't been easy, been quite isolated today-- working on getting through each hour at a time. I went to an AA meeting last night, which was pretty interesting, it was at 9pm on a Sat night, the session started with upbeat music, christmas lights throughout the room and dark otherwise, the setting allowed for an intimate experience and it was beautiful. I bonded with some folks and found a potential sponsor. I am yet to commit to the program but am considering all tools available to me.
                I am a little anxious and irritable now so I'm going to head to bed early and listen to the audiobook I've downloaded, Drinking: A Love Story and plan to continue listening to the Bubbly Hour podcast on the way to work tomorrow. It is quite motivating to hear other's stories, which is very different from the last time (well documented on this site) I was sober. I wonder why that is? When I was sober last summer I didn't want to know the dark parts of people's drinking days, I felt it brought me down and was counterproductive to recovery. Now I am finding the exact opposite.
                Anyhow, thanks to my new friends for acknowledging my previous message -
                Wagmore, Birdie, Available, Ican and, of course, NoSugar
                I look forward to getting to know each of you and thank you for your support. I believe in MWO and love this little community-- it was a godsend for me. I plan on staying here, one day at a time.
                Good night all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie,

You are an angel ... Sent to guide and inspire us all ! Your simple but meaningful posts help us a lot !

While I am struggling this so called phase of PAWs your victory over AL only inspires me to hang on and look for another better day ...
                  Rahul
                  --------------------------------------------
                  Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                  Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                  Rebooting ... done ...
                  Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pav I loved Allan's quote too and i am sure i would do the same, blur out the fear unless i could help and save the world then i would be right in there.

Ican, I feel your pain and it keeps me on the straight and narrow, i do appreciate your honesty with drinking. We all have our "blah" days and that is when we need to use every tool we have for these occasions. Mine is coming on here, even if it is lurking or talking to my children. I have to stay accountable to them and i will never look in their eyes and see disappointment that i have drank. My children are my world.

Lost great work on Day 2, i still remember the early days, and i was on mwo 24 hours a day, had it open at work and at home, i read and read and read. I watched alcoholic doco's and movies about al. I had to keep my mind occupied at all times and it seems to have worked. i am sure i walked in circles around the house a lot too, telling myself Noooooooooooo! If it was not for mwo and posting in roll call and my children i would not be where i am today. Use every resource and tool you can and know that there are better days ahead and they are fantastic days believe me.

Today i went to work, came home and procrastinated about walking (cold here), cooked the dogs meal for dinner, made my bed (fresh sheets, yum), put clothes away and showered. When i was drinking i would have called into the bottle shop after figuring out which one i had not frequented the day before, come home, opened a can of dog food, poured wine and drank it until i passed out.

These are the changes i can see and love. Why would i want to drink again.
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone! 19 days and counting, had an ordeal with my mother yesterday but refused to let it get to me, it did bother me for a few hours and I vented and vented to my husband about it then finally let it go. I wasn't going to let her push me into drinking again. I made such a delicious chocolate cake yesterday and ganache to go with it that I think I could feel my heart slow down a bit then speed up with the sugar intake. Love making chocolate cake with buttermilk and coffee! Sooo good! And today I have found I have lost weight! From cutting back the booze and the pop intake Im starting to fit into different clothes I haven't been able to. Motivation!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Ican, changing your thinking changes everything!
                        Whatever way you choose to do it is just fine but be sure to get to work on that now

momo3, Congrats on your 19 AF days! Great work & great on letting go of the stress too! Drinking AT other people hurts no one but us. I did it for years & grateful I finally learned my lesson.

Hello to everyone & wishing a great AF Monday for all!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie, congratulations on 1300 days!!!

LostSoul, I think it's a good sign that you are more open this time to hearing more about other's recovery. Our addicted mind knows what is bad for the addicted part and will try to screen information that would make you choose recovery over continued addiction. When we are open to the whole package it must be a sign that we are more open or ready. Just my two cents.

Ican, sending you some support! Regaining self love and love is a common theme. You deserve it.

It's great to see everyone here.

Have a great AF day!
                          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie 1300 days. Wow. That's truly inspiring. It can be done. Alcohol is just a substance, a poisonous pitfall. And you show us how to delete it from our lives. :bananacomputer: Thank you for all you do for us.
                            Kensho I have a drinking friend who was really obnoxious about me having a drink with him. I actually had to threaten him with a smack up side the head, but I ment it and he has not tried that again. Protect your quit. Whatever it takes. People will remember you fighting for it and respect you. Big time. Trust me. You will remember overcoming the temptations and respect yourself. That's the most important thing.
                            Good to see you Allen.
                            Hi Ican. Yes you can do this. Sorry that patch of the blahs got you, but you are determined.
                            Rahul hi.
                            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gosh, everyone, thank you so much for the kind words!
                              1300 days.
                              Who'd have guessed I would have ended up an alcoholic?
                              Who'd have guessed I would now be 1300 days sober and giving advice on a site advocating NO drinking?
                              Who'd have guessed that I would be so much happier WITHOUT AL than I ever was with it?
                              Life is just funny that way....

Allankay, great to see you as always. Your mind and mine think a lot alike. However if I knew the world was going to end in 12 hours and blew my quit, with my luck it wouldn't end and there I'd be! :H:H:H So glad that life is treating you like a king!
                              Pinecone, steady as a rock, great to see you!
                              Kensho, your post struck a note for me, too. My mom had a saying 'You can't serve 2 masters'. It used to annoy me at the time, but has proven true over the years. When it comes to AL Addiction, we are either serving the addiction or serving life....not both. We are either contributing to each or contaminating each. We have to choose one and go for it. I chose life!

So good to see everyone this morning! Hope everyone has an easy day!! XXOO, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I like that Byrdie - you can't serve two masters - it's either AL or life. I'm going to remember that one! For us, you can't have one with the other.

Congratulations to you for 1300 days you are an amazing person! I am so grateful to you and everything you do to help people here. :h

Comment

Working...
                                X