Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thank you Byrd!

And Kensho, the "I will not drink today" really does help me and is a thought I'm working to get programmed into my head, so thank you. It's so easy to want to tell my friends, "well, for now" when I know it needs to be for good.

If I seem level headed, I think it's just spending more than a decade trying so hard to moderate or "kind of quit but only for now." I'm trying to set a really firm base this time, and have a real plan - not because I'm good at quitting but because I know I've struggled with it before! A couple years ago, I very nearly quietly and secretly drank myself to death - for whatever reason (I think a lot was this board) it finally got through to me that I've been working on that again. And I don't want to go back there, ever.

Sorry to get so serious there, but it is what it is. I'm letting myself enjoy the good parts of being AF even this early 'cause that's really important to my quit and I think part of what I was missing before - but yeah, there's definitely the other side of the coin there.
    I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
    AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Hope everyone had a good day - I did
      My 5 1/2 yr old grandson came & helped me 'transfer' a bunch of monarch caterpillars today. He was excited to hear that they would be turning into butterflies one day & need a fresh food source. They pretty much devastated the carrot tops in my garden. They are now working on the parsley in my herb garden :H I wouldn't have bothered doing anything like this in the old days. Enjoy every minute of your AF lives

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1694281 wrote:
        They are now working on the parsley in my herb garden :H I wouldn't have bothered doing anything like this in the old days. Enjoy every minute of your AF lives

Lav
        Nice touch Lav. Little stories like that one are amazingly inspirational. I love cooking, although don't pretend to be good at it. And being AF makes cooking even more rewarding. Fresh herbs are so beneficial to nice meals, and I will have a go at growing some of my own one day.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mein Sonnenschein;1694128 wrote: Hi Nest. Over two weeks AF! I'm sorry I have not been in touch... we've been on vaca and I haven't had much time to be on the internet. But I'm so happy with my two weeks AF... I have not done that in YEARS.

But... I'm still so grumpy! Everyday I'm grumpy, even after a cup of coffee and some sugar (yes, that's the next thing to go starting Monday). Plus the horrible headaches everyday. I was expecting this for a while... but for two weeks? Has anyone else experienced this?

Much love and strength to you all today.
          It is great that you're back, MS. Congratulations on your 2 AF weeks! So it must have been an AF vacation. Was that hard or was it good to be out of your normal environment?

Eloise had headaches for quite awhile after she quit and started a thread about it. Maybe some of what she found could help you.

Keep doing what you've been doing- it's working !

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mein Sonnenschein;1694128 wrote: Hi Nest. Over two weeks AF! I'm sorry I have not been in touch... we've been on vaca and I haven't had much time to be on the internet. But I'm so happy with my two weeks AF... I have not done that in YEARS.

But... I'm still so grumpy! Everyday I'm grumpy, even after a cup of coffee and some sugar (yes, that's the next thing to go starting Monday). Plus the horrible headaches everyday. I was expecting this for a while... but for two weeks? Has anyone else experienced this?

Much love and strength to you all today.
            How did I miss this? GREAT job!!!!
            :moon: :moon:

2 weeks is totally amazing! So proud of you! :l. B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, yes! Daily headaches here too. It didn't occur to me they might be related to my quit. Thanks for mentioning Eloise's thread. I'll look it up.

Pie

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All
                Its been a long time since I have been in the Nest, but I need to come back...I'm WitchyWoman & I'm struggling....my plan is to taper off....tomorrow is going to be my Day 1......
                *Witchy*
                Progress, not perfection!!!
                A craving wont kill me, but drinking could!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Hello & welcome back witchy & Mein, glad to see both of you here
                  Great work on the two weeks AF Mein! Witchy, I tapered off myself when I started to avoid difficulties. Just be sure to stick to your chosen quit date & stay close to the nest!

I think I had headaches for at least two weeks when I quit along with generalized muscle aches & pains - felt like I had the flu. Just be sure to keep yourselves well hydrated, headaches can be a symptom of dehydration.

Petrel, I love my perennial herb garden & use lots of the herbs when cooking or making tea
                  The parsley is an annual plant that I drop in every year so I didn't mind offering it to the caterpillars.

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mein, the headaches I got were very much the same as Eloise.....they would appear out of nowhere and started to affect my sleep and daily routine.....still can't figure out why they were so bad. Could go weeks with none then 3 to 4 days with a pain that just lingered.
                    I had been eating more sugar so cut it out.....will have to persist and see if that was the cause.
                    Unfortunately, I broke my quit last week.
                    Having checked out a relapse prevention site that J-vo posted about a few days ago, I can see that I ticked the boxes for almost every warning sign.
                    Lack of sleep in itself can bring about added stress to a stressful situation and it can tumble out of control.
                    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Me in I got terrible headaches. They lasted 3 or 4 days at a time. They did go away. Hang tight

Comment

Newbies Nest

Got to thinking if it would be helpful for folks starting here to acknowledge what you enjoy the best about NOT DRINKING. When starting out stopping, it is so easy to dwell on the fact you're missing something. What if the something missing helps to keep the quit.

for me , no hangovers, no hangovers, and oh yes, did I mention no hangovers?
                        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sam,
                          I really like the thought you are developing on "what you enjoy the best about NOT DRINKING. When starting out stopping, it is so easy to dwell on the fact you're missing something." If we've really turned the corner in our decision to go AF, then it seems to me, that any reminders that AL even exists are counter-productive. For instance, I simply can't go to the thread here on MWO regarding modding! For me it would simply involve swallowing smaller doses of poison, maybe less frequently, than I formerly did. YUK!
                          To your point, on this thread, I really liked following the discussion between Lavande and Petrel regarding the caterpillars and the herbs! This was the first thread I read when I opened MWO this morning and it has already sent my day off in a very positive vector. Thanks!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Fellow Nesters!
                            So good to everyone.
                            I was thinking this morning about what differentiated this quit from all of my previous ones. I think I had to take all the safety nets down, I took all the contingency plans off the table, I absolutely HAD to win this and the only way to do that was to accept that AL was not an option. Makes sense doesnt it? But really, I hadnt done that before.....I would say, I will TRY and stay sober....I HOPE I do ok....I never fully bought in to a sober lifestyle, I was hoping to get it under control and then 'maybe someday'.....as long as I kept that trap door in the back of my mind I was actually sabotaging myself. As long as I gave myself an out, I was doomed to fail...because addiction is stronger than wishing and hoping. To finally win this battle, I had to completely accept NO AL. I had to remove that option from my list of coping skills. Its just NOT an option. The journey got easier once I did that. I am an alcoholic and I cannot drink AL safely in any amount. Not one sip, not ever. ...and Im ok with that. My life is 1000 times better without AL. It is a relief to be off the hamster wheel. Shut the door on AL and you will be glad you did. AL hasn't done me any favors at all, in fact, he took nearly everything I valued. Getting rid of AL in your life will be the single best decision you've made for yourself. AL abuse reaches far beyond just us, its ripples are felt in so many lives around us. Do yourself a favor and stop the madness. You will be amazed. Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Samstone;1694484 wrote: Got to thinking if it would be helpful for folks starting here to acknowledge what you enjoy the best about NOT DRINKING.
                              Good question, Sam. What I enjoy most if having control of my life (to the extent that any of us truly can) 100% of the time. The productive part of my day and my opportunities to participate in various activities are no longer greatly reduced because I'm enslaved by a poison.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well said Byrdie!

Comment

Working...
                                X