Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Sorry to hear about the job wmm. Hopefully something will come along soon.
    Working late tonight as we're having maintenance done, so I get my dinner paid for, and I won't be out until after the shops all shut so it should be an easy af night for me tonight.
    I'll check in later.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sober Cafe Opens on South Broadway in Green Bay

I saw this story today..I don't live near Green Bay, but I think this is a great concept...hopefully it spreads

Sober Cafe Opens on South Broadway in Green Bay - WBAY
      “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

Here with my checkin, quick! Trying to cut back even my two cups of coffee today, though. Yesterday I got super lightheaded after the first cup...I think it was partly that I hadn't eaten enough the night before and had coffee first thing. Unpleasant anyway. :/

Otherwise, doing ok. A few cravings during some heavy conversations last night, but I kept reminding myself that I wanted to stay clear and sober in order to make my points; I've just got to push through and choose to say or not say things with my big girl panties instead of using AL as a crutch. It was really good for me, too. I shared a lot of opinions that I'd been sitting on for fear of ruffling feathers. I got to give real and sober commentary; even if in the end no one agreed with me, I feel so much better than if I'd just drunk rambled on topics that actually are important to me.

Also got a lot more cleaning done, yay!

Kensho - I can definitely understand being tired of thinking. I'm sure the old timer's have better advice than I have but good thoughts your way. But more importantly YAY 30 DAYS!!!!! The way you keep plugging along has been so encouraging for me, I'm so glad you've hit such a great marker.

WMM - Ouch, I'm so sorry to hear that, that really is a gut punch. Kensho said it better than me, though so I'll also third (am I third?) what she said.
        I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
        AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

WMM~ That blows! About your job, without minimizing your situation, I'll shed she good light.
          I know in the past when I got kicked in the nads (sorry for all the male genital analogies :shocked or was having a run of bad luck, I would of course bury them in Al, think of the focus and mental clarity you will need to be a mom, wife, and job hunt? If there is such thing as a good time to have to go through this, I can't think of a better time than now. As we all know to well the beast will magnify our problems only creating more.
          I'm not in your situation and not trying to downplay it, hope you find peace!
          Stay Hard little lady!
          AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Kenso : you rock so glad to see you back on the wagon !

Ava, lavande : thanks for remembering me ... I am going good yes closing 200 days. Cherish each and very day as I go along. Life is challenging has it's ups and downs. How my life has improved ask my family !!
            Rahul
            --------------------------------------------
            Rewiring my brain ... done ...
            Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
            Rebooting ... done ...
            Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Overit-still;1701570 wrote: Good morning! Sober morning here. Got up, worked out, got dressed, and showed up. That's all I can do for now.
              Overit, if that is all you can do then thats fine. The world wont end if you dont push yourself, it didnt when i had nothing days. I had a lot of "nothing" days when i drank. Allow your body and mind to heal.

Lav, i quite like "bad ass Ava" has a ring to it, still waiting to be a "bad ass" nana sigh. She is off the pill though so fingers crossed. I am spending a night with Kiera on Saturday and we are going to bingo and out for dinner. Never would i have done that in my drinking days, would have interfered with my drinking. Now i get to spend quality time with my eldest and have a sleep over and enjoy her company. Life does not get any better than the one i am living. Not sure if i am old enough to go to bingo though!

Fin, i love the picture, that so reminded me of me when i first stopped drinking.

Rahul life just gets better doesnt it. My family life is so much more settled now, the kids just take it for granted that i dont drink anymore and the best thing is they have their mum 100% at anytime of the day or night.
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening friends, just a quick check in from me.

WMM, stay strong and hang in there. Drinking won't help any of your problems. Sending you support!

LavBlue, coffee makes me jittery sometimes. I usually drink strong green tea and coffee only rarely now. It's amazing how sensitive our bodies can be.

Kensho, it's perfectly fine not to have your life figured out. Part of the process is learning how to just make incrementally better life decisions. Our life stretches out in front of us. Think of steering a huge ship.

Sorry if I missed anyone, but I always read every post and think of you all. I'm just dead tired right now and can't wait for my head to hit the pillow!
                Have a great AF night!
                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick check in before I get off to sleep, looking forward to a sober weekend from tomorrow (never thought I'd hear myself say that!)
                  Long day planned tomorrow, and looks like I'll have to stay at my parents tomorrow night as I'll struggle to get home from the gig I'm playing, they're not gonna know what's hit them when I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed on Saturday morning.
                  Also going to an induction to the German lessons I've decided to start at night school on Saturday, and I'm really exited to get started! Should keep me nice and occupied in the evenings!
                  Good night.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ava-thanks. Just doing what I can and trying not to control everything. It's just gonna have to happen and I'll figure it out as it comes.

BF-You will be busy. Hope you enjoy the time with your folks.

End of the day here soon. Kind of anxious about this evening.
                    The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Newbies Nest

BF my mother was totally stunned when we were at the duty free al shop heading to Thailand and she asked what i was taking to drink and i said "nothing i dont drink anymore". Thought i may have had to get the paramedics. Now she is totally proud and we are healing our relationship that i farked up due to drinking. They may not say much as they need to be convinced you are not drinking but you will certainly make your parents so very proud, i know i have.

Overit what is on this evening?

Hi Pine!
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1403745 wrote: I am reminded that we've had so many folks reach the 30 day mark recently, it's worth mentioning that the question of 'is that all there is?' arises. I wrote a note to Allankay back last month after he got his hat. He was feeling a little flat....
                        I wrote this:

As I mentioned to a response to Allan yesterday in his thread....he'd reached his 30 day goal and then felt like a bride coming back from her honeymoon...NOW WHAT? I was explaining to him that breaking free of alcohol is, in effect, ending a relationship. And I mean a long-standing, hard-core, abusive, solid relationship. In essence you are going thru the 5 stages of grieving. Anger (what brought you here..."I'm SICK of this crazy life!"), Denial (Maybe I'm not all that bad! What was I thinking? Other people drink as much or MORE than I do' I think this is where the biggest Pity Party is thrown...it comes after the first 2 weeks and before day 30), BARGAINING ( why don't I try to moderate? Other people are able to do it...if I could just have one precious glass of _____ I'd be ok, THEN I'll get right back on track..), Depression (Is THIS all there is? Where are the balloons? Is this as good as it's ever going to get? ' Well shit...'.) and finally, acceptance. Let me tell you, this is where it's at. You finally are able to accept that, NO, you CANNOT drink ....AT ALL. Not one, not ever.....and you are ok with this. This is the stage where you can see AL for what it really is....a DRUG. Some people abuse drugs and some people don't. We do. Each stage in grieving is very important. Once you can see what is going on and that you aren't going crazy, it helps...at least it did for me. What you are going thru is the natural stages of loss. If you stay the course, I promise it will get better....I can also make a promise the other way, too....if we stay on the path we were on....well, you get the picture. I can assure you there will be a day where you don't even think about AL! As hard as it is now....it seems hard to believe. As hardcore as I was, I can now come to the end of an evening and think...I'll be dam, I didn't even think about it. THAT is amazing! You will get there...it just takes some time. Please hang in with us...you can do it! If I can do it, you can too!!! Byrdie
                        Kensho, I wrote this to AllanKay 2 years ago, just after his 30 day flat spot.....this is a phase...perfectly normal and will pass. When you come out the other side, you will feel much better and brighter! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

thank you ? that is such a great post?..I SO know the feeling??this too shall pass.
                          another day for me when i went to 5:30 am INSANITY workout ?.yes, it is insane?then this afternoon watched my son play a soccer game..very exciting!
                          but now, just past 8pm i feel like i am going to collapse.
                          cravings today? yes?.. did I succumb???? NO!!!!!!!!
                          Tomorrow is the weekend?..I know I should not worry about the future, but I also know I need to brace myself and come on here tomorrow many times?..
                          I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

See the Light;1701625 wrote: I saw this story today..I don't live near Green Bay, but I think this is a great concept...hopefully it spreads

Sober Cafe Opens on South Broadway in Green Bay - WBAY
                            What a concept! CVS drugstores are tobacco-free now- wish they would get rid of the booze!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

WMM, so sorry about the added stress related to your job. I know it's hard but please try to stay positive & think of this as a new beginning for you. Stay with your plan, stay with us!

STL, that caf? looks like an awesome idea. Maybe it will catch on & more & more will pop up around the country

Greetings to all & sending wishes for a safe night in the nest!
                              Still have my granddaughter here Granny (someday) Ava. I'll be happy to give you lessons but I don't know a thing about bingo - never played bingo :H

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Caution: Rant

I am in such hell right now after a date night with the wife. She's understandably frustrated by my big swings, or the "all or none" cycle over the past couple of years. I don't blame her, but her message was that I need to find a path back to moderation vs. abstinence. She fears the social stigma and thinks I'll be less fun. Damnit all. We have a trip in Oct with good friends who will want to party and she's also scared I'll blow that, or make people uncomfortable. THIS is why I always cave. We are very social and going AF just doesn't fit our modus operandi. I'm too afraid to tell her I'm a full blown alcoholic. There is no path back to moderation. I must stay strong. I must do my best to remain positive and especially in social situations. I'm feeling incredibly fragile. I have no idea how I'm going to pull this all off other than doing my absolute best to remain positive. I will not drink tonight, that's for sure.

Thanks for the rant permission,
                                -Fin
                                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Working...
                                X