Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone,

I came home from a camping trip today. I never look at my phone, it feels like heresy when camping. The weather was gorgeous and we had a great time.

Rahul, congratulations on your 200 days! What an accomplishment. Kudos also for getting back into sleep, nutrition and fitness. Exercise is a huge part of my quit. I never get enough sleep, and I'm a work in progress on nutrition.

BF, yes Byrdie is right. Sometimes when you are having a real crap time, just go to bed. Great job just hanging in there.

I know when I was drinking that I was hungover more than 315 days in a year but reading that statistic now is so sad and shocking. Folks, we are the lucky ones. Have a great AF night!
    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
    AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

We REALLY are, Pinecone! When I was drinking I was always jealous of non drinkers....now I am one! It is a great feeling! Being happy is NOT overrated! It is wonderful! Glad you are home!! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yup, Yoga - posting a lot really helps. I came here for the 1st time 7 years ago.
        I would read but not post or engage much during those years. I did conti ue to drink though.
        Yup, that is how long it took me. I would encourage you not to wait as long.
        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Newbies Nest

Eloise,
          You post reminds me of one my friend, Kuya, put in the nest some time ago, I fished it out:

There are a few currently struggling to STAY on this AF path, and I am always looking for common reasons to explain differences between us all. After all, it is the same drug in the same human bodies so what other factors may be at play?

I was reminded by seeing a member, who has been absent for a while, of advice we commonly give new folk when they arrive. We say read, read, read and post, post, post. Now that makes logical sense but I wondered if it actually affected successful outcomes. Obviously we can't know if people are reading a lot and not posting, but the daily average of posting IS available to us.

I spent a little time crunching some figures ( I am known for being a statistics bore! ) and guess what? It is true!

MEMBERS WHO MAKE AN AVERAGE OF LESS THAN ONE POST A DAY STRUGGLE TO GET OR STAY ALCOHOL FREE.

You can find your own stat on your profile page.

Now there are members using outside support and therefore won't need to post as often BUT when I looked at people I know who only use MWO for support and have quit relatively easily their daily average is high, from our stoical Patrick at 2.73 posts per day through to our effervescent Hippyman at 33.

This is not a talisman of success, there are a couple of high rate posters who struggle, but there were no posters under one that were successful at getting sober.

I believe that formulating your thoughts into written word changes your brain's perception. Reading and then posting, initially for ourselves and later to help others, repetitively reinforces the message 'I DON'T DRINK'.

I expect some will respond that they aren't able to post more often due to worldly responsibilities ......... But the stark truth for many is if this disease progresses you won't HAVE any worldly responsibilities.

I have been posting on MWO nearly six months and sober nearly five, I average 5 posts a day. Instead of vegging in front of the TV with a half litre of vodka I come on here. It is saving my life, I have made friends here. I also hope I am helping to save lives.

So I repeat the advice, read, read, read and POST,POST,POST.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1704256 wrote: Eloise,
            You post reminds me of one my friend, Kuya, put in the nest some time ago, I fished it out:

I believe that formulating your thoughts into written word changes your brain's perception. Reading and then posting, initially for ourselves and later to help others, repetitively reinforces the message 'I DON'T DRINK'.

I expect some will respond that they aren't able to post more often due to worldly responsibilities ......... But the stark truth for many is if this disease progresses you won't HAVE any worldly responsibilities.
            I like this. Right on Kuya, and if it's good enough for her and you Byrdy, it sure is good enough practice for me.

Glad you got your pc files sorted.

L8tr g8tr's.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Such a busy nest today - great

I have to agree with you Pinecone & Byrdie - we are the lucky ones
              All we have to do at this point is maintain, we've done the hard part

My advice to the newer newbies is stick with your plan & your commitment. Check in here as frequently as possible (like brushing your teeth - posting is not optional :H )

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good stuff right there Byrd!
                AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1704256 wrote: Eloise,

There are a few currently struggling to STAY on this AF path, and I am always looking for common reasons to explain differences between us all. After all, it is the same drug in the same human bodies so what other factors may be at play?

I was reminded by seeing a member, who has been absent for a while, of advice we commonly give new folk when they arrive. We say read, read, read and post, post, post. Now that makes logical sense but I wondered if it actually affected successful outcomes. Obviously we can't know if people are reading a lot and not posting, but the daily average of posting IS available to us.

I spent a little time crunching some figures ( I am known for being a statistics bore! ) and guess what? It is true!

MEMBERS WHO MAKE AN AVERAGE OF LESS THAN ONE POST A DAY STRUGGLE TO GET OR STAY ALCOHOL FREE.

You can find your own stat on your profile page.

Now there are members using outside support and therefore won't need to post as often BUT when I looked at people I know who only use MWO for support and have quit relatively easily their daily average is high, from our stoical Patrick at 2.73 posts per day through to our effervescent Hippyman at 33.

This is not a talisman of success, there are a couple of high rate posters who struggle, but there were no posters under one that were successful at getting sober.

I have been posting on MWO nearly six months and sober nearly five, I average 5 posts a day. Instead of vegging in front of the TV with a half litre of vodka I come on here. It is saving my life, I have made friends here. I also hope I am helping to save lives.

So I repeat the advice, read, read, read and POST,POST,POST.

If anyone didn't know this, you can go to the members list link and sort them by # of posts. In many things in life, quantity isn't always quality, but in the case of MWO, it seems to me those who have posted most have also READ the most before them..they listened, learned and gave back to those around them.and they post quality advice. The folks here who posted a lot , have a lot of great things to say because they are involved..those are posts I read 1st when I lurked here before I posted. Posting here often is great..but hopefully in the process you see the posts of someone else that really makes something click..I have my favorite posts here already that inspire me, and I try to keep that in mind when I want to drink. Being involved here helps you commit to a process that is likely too hard to tackle by yourself...be involved and learn from those who have already committed so much
                  “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

Night night Nest. And keep it down... I have some sleeping' to do!

LAVB, you better head to bed too. You have a big day tomorrow!

Here's to another AF day ahead! Remember, especially if you are new, you will never regret a day you spend sober
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

Off on a three day trip tomorrow morning. I'm a little tense as it is normally a BIG drinking crowd. Very good friends who know my plight, however. I'm not worried I'm going to drink, just worried it will be awkward.

I won't have much access to post but I'll be here in spirit and will check in when I return.

Byrdie, thanks for the Kuya post.

Stay strong, everyone. We seem to have a lot of positive momentum going here in the nest. Let's keep it up!

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all. Day 4 today. Last night was a bit wobbly but survived by logging on and reading through some of the posts on here. Am out this evening at a function where nobody will be drinking so that should be easier.

Byrd - hope you got that IT disaster sorted!

Have a great day all.
                        I can beat this.
                        Today is the day I start.
                        1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Checking in before falling asleep. Day 8 - no drinks.

Tomorrow may be tough. I have an evening event to attend and it's at a fancy new bar. I hope they can make a tasty non-alcoholic drink for me. Otherwise, it's soda water for me, which would be alright too, I guess.

G'night.

JWP

Comment

Newbies Nest

Never guess JWP, be strong in your conviction not to drink, have no doubts when you go out. You are a non drinker, end of story and you will be fine. If in doubt stay home. Protect your quit with your life. Eat before you go out definitely.
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 2, but I'm here cause I can't sleep. Just grabbed a snack and some water. I'm contemplating whether to take a OVC sleeping pill or just try to rough it out. I seriously need sleep as I need to get up tomr to do errands. If I take a pill at this hour though, I will likely sleep WAY too long. I'm thinking just eat a snack and suffer through. I'd rather get the things done that I need to than sleep.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sleep Sarah was something that i had great difficulty doing so i slept when i was tired and accepted that i had poured the poison into my body and it would take weeks for my body to even out. its amazing how our bodies still function without sleep. I did take valium for a week when i first stopped drinking but it didnt do a great deal.
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X