• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Nice, Fin. Very nice!

Comment

Newbies Nest

peppersnow;1704911 wrote: Good for you for having quit NOW - you can be the parent you were meant to be, and that's a precious opportunity! :goodjob:
      Thanks, Peppersnow. The key now is making it stick. Regardless of when that happens for any of us, the important thing is that it does! You'll now have the future to look forward to in terms of clear time with your older kids and their kids. In other words, it's never too late.
      Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
      Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey everyone! Staring at the tops of my shoes as I write this. Looking to get a day 1 started again. Will probably just read posts till that day arrives. Blessings to all & I will be posting again soon, just not ready yet.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hugs Hypernova :l
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jump back in as soon as you can Hypernova - it's nice in the nest
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good momentum going on right now, Hypernova. Catch the wave?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all; such beautiful posts today! And so glad to see so many people putting one foot in front of the other.

So I had a crazy thought last night while thinking about things. I'm not positive, but this might be the first time I've been completely sober for 30 days since I was 16. I wasn't a wild party girl in my teens, but I had plenty of friends who drank. And my mom didn't mind keeping occasional wine coolers around the house for me. (And no fault on her, she went with the logic that if I was going to try drinking I should do it at home instead of going wild at my first party. She was right that I was bound and determined to try it anyway and at the time it kept me from running wild like some of my friends.) It's put it in more perspective what I'm really doing here since even before I drank to excess, I've always used the "I need this to have fun" or "I need this because I had a bad day."

No wonder I'm off and it takes time to get used to.

I also DID get on the exercise bike last night, which surprised me. I've been saying I would for ages now. I may start making that a temporary goal every 30 days - once I have 30 days doing one thing good for me, think about something else? We'll see, but I plan to get on it tonight too and see if I can't make it into a habit. Need to loose the booze belly somehow! I'm halfway attempting to lower the carbs I'm eating as well. It's easier to make healthier choices when I'm not thinking "gotta soak up that AL." But I'd rather grab a sandwich than skip meals because I can't think of anything else so that'll take time to balance out, too. It's having a great side effect, too - my mom has been eating healthier and I know that's something she's struggled with changing for years now. She's in better shape than I am right now, honestly, but with her age and medical issues she's got less wiggle room than I do.

Kensho - I was actually thinking last night that you'd been kind of meh around your 30 days, too. Not that I'm glad you were, but at least I didn't feel like I was alone in that. Everytime I wonder if I should really talk as much as I do, I think of how much it helps to read from other people. And I'm so glad your night went better than it could have!

abc - Just wanted to let you know your simple thought reached me when I read it. I have a few things I'm dealing with right now that very much feel like a massive pile of rocks. I was having trouble last night just kind of staring at them thinking, "Wow...that's a lot of rocks. This sucks. *pause* Yep, still there. Lots of rocks. Damn." The wall idea is always tempting for me, too; I'm going to try to remember I don't have to do that. And a bridge is always more useful.

WMM - Good for you, so glad you're getting some days AF and feeling the benefits!

And Fin and Hypernova - I love that image of us all on a wave to catch! Welcome to the Nest, Hypernova, and I agree.

Thanks again everyone for posting and support. I don't always thank everyone individually, but I always read them all and it always helps.
                I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

On a lighter note - I've been able to figure out all the abbreviations I've come across so far...except MAE! xD I was going to pm someone and ask, but I may as well post in case anyone else is also not quite catching that one. No stupid questions, right?!
                  I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                  AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Afternoon Evening, since we are all in different time zones. How cool is that by the way? Connected around the world!
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, afternoon, evening= MAE
                      AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Newbies Nest

not surprised.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane, you oughtta put that link in your sig line! It was a brilliant idea. OR you could suggest that RJ make it a sticky. I suggested the Tool Box be made a sticky...we'll see what happens when we get moved to the new digs!
                          LavB, let me dust off this post from some time ago....the 30 day flats is perfectly normal....I wrote this to AllanKay right after he pasted this milestone:

As I mentioned to a response to Allan yesterday in his thread....he'd reached his 30 day goal and then felt like a bride coming back from her honeymoon...NOW WHAT? I was explaining to him that breaking free of alcohol is, in effect, ending a relationship. And I mean a long-standing, hard-core, abusive, solid relationship. In essence you are going thru the 5 stages of grieving. Anger (what brought you here..."I'm SICK of this crazy life!"), Denial (Maybe I'm not all that bad! What was I thinking? Other people drink as much or MORE than I do' I think this is where the biggest Pity Party is thrown...it comes after the first 2 weeks and before day 30), BARGAINING ( why don't I try to moderate? Other people are able to do it...if I could just have one precious glass of _____ I'd be ok, THEN I'll get right back on track..), Depression (Is THIS all there is? Where are the balloons? Is this as good as it's ever going to get? ' Well shit...'.) and finally, acceptance. Let me tell you, this is where it's at. You finally are able to accept that, NO, you CANNOT drink ....AT ALL. Not one, not ever.....and you are ok with this. This is the stage where you can see AL for what it really is....a DRUG. Some people abuse drugs and some people don't. We do. Each stage in grieving is very important. Once you can see what is going on and that you aren't going crazy, it helps...at least it did for me. What you are going thru is the natural stages of loss. If you stay the course, I promise it will get better....I can also make a promise the other way, too....if we stay on the path we were on....well, you get the picture. I can assure you there will be a day where you don't even think about AL! As hard as it is now....it seems hard to believe. As hardcore as I was, I can now come to the end of an evening and think...I'll be dam, I didn't even think about it. THAT is amazing! You will get there...it just takes some time. Please hang in with us...you can do it! If I can do it, you can too!!! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Another test tonight. It's Friday and I'm home alone with just my boy who's watching a movie. Once upon a time, prime time to suck down a rack of beer. Not tonight. Not ever, no. I will not drink tonight.

Being good,
                            -Fin

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good for you, Fin! Great job on staying on point! No AL in the house, right? Visualize yourself in the morning when you wake up with a clean conscince! It is worth it, as you know! Dont forget to eat! B
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1705105 wrote: Good for you, Fin! Great job on staying on point! No AL in the house, right? Visualize yourself in the morning when you wake up with a clean conscince! It is worth it, as you know! Dont forget to eat! B
                                No AL in the house! Need to eat. Craving hard, but will hold steadfast!

Comment

Working...
                                X