Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1705643 wrote:

Virtual, welcome aboard! Might I offer a tip to you as you go thru today...if you are committed to this being your day 1, get ALL of the AL out of your space. If it is sitting around you will find a justification to use it. It will sprout heads and start speaking in tongues to you..... Best thing is to get it all out. I know it's hard to do, and I resisted this one a lot, but I wasn't able to succeed until I did it. You don't need a safety net because you are not going to fall! Also, be sure to eat
    ! Staying full will really help you fight off those urges! We are so glad you're here!
    Thank you, Byrdlady. I exhausted my alcohol stash last night - I'd made sure that I only had enough booze in the house to help me deal with my withdrawal from the night before. It's easier for me because where I live shops are only licenced to sell AL between 10am and 10pm, the bars are only licenced til 1am and the nightclubs 3am. That means that I only have 12 hours of the day to get through, and then I don't have a choice because alcohol is just not available. Being a mum to two young kids means that once the shops are shut, unless I have a babysitter there is no way I can go out to a bar or club for a drink either, once the shops stop selling for the night. A lot of people think our licensing laws are harsh, but I am thankful for those laws - those laws are my buddies. I did go to my local shop earlier on today for a couple of things, but I did not buy any alcohol and as it is now 10.18pm here and I am already in my PJs, I have tackled Day 1 already. Whooo!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I believe in omens. Tonight, I had a big one. I've been very depressed lately. I bought a bottle of wine. My poison. I'm not proud, but frankly, I just didn't give a damn anymore. Didn't even have a glass yet. So I opened the fridge door, and the bottle fell out, shattered - wine everywhere. Now I've been drinking for a very long time, and this has never happened to me. So I cleaned up the mess and decided that this is divine intervention. Love to you all.
      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, Moss...take it where you can get it!
        Im sorry you have been down. Having been in the rabbit hole a long time I can tell you, AL makes it 1000 times worse. So glad you dodged a bullet tonight!! Xo, B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MossRose - that certainly is a sign from the universe - say thank you
          Let's deal with the depression in a healthier, more holistic way. I did with tons of reading, meditation, learning to let go of things I cannot control, a Rx AD then an OTC St John's Wort, exercise & developing some serious gratitude. It's a lot of work but well worth the effort

VI, great on getting day 1 AF under your belt!

Kensho, without going into the long story that it is here - I went thru an awful period with my husband the year after I quit. Someone here recommended a book 'Radical Forgiveness' by Colin Tipping. Please grab a copy for yourself. It's not what you think. It was probably the best mental health tool I could have found

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Don't forget the site is going to be down for sometime tomorrow when the new site goes online

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dang, Lav, rotten timing on the site going down. Your 2000 th day!!! It aint right!
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters

I know Ive been a way for some time so I did expect some hatchlings roll in.

Welcome VI I remember my first 14 days the most. Get yourself to 14..get yourself to 14..get yourself to 14. ( Im sounding like Arnold Swartz from 'Total Recal' ). Make damn sure you dont have another drink..OK ? Get your tools and be ready to switch them up whenever you need to..change and flow as you need. You can do this !

MossRose;1705807 wrote: I believe in omens. Tonight, I had a big one. I've been very depressed lately. I bought a bottle of wine. My poison. I'm not proud, but frankly, I just didn't give a damn anymore. Didn't even have a glass yet. So I opened the fridge door, and the bottle fell out, shattered - wine everywhere. Now I've been drinking for a very long time, and this has never happened to me. So I cleaned up the mess and decided that this is divine intervention. Love to you all.
              Hi there Moss So nice to see you. Honestly back in my day..I would have grabbed a straw out of the draw and use the floor as my cup :H .. but Im glad I didnt read that in your post rofl. You know..Ive been kinda in the dumps recently as well. I thought about it very hard this weekend and found its more than likely a lack of performance on my part. There were things I needed to do but kept putting them off. Burdens of sorts. So after the boys left today I forced myself to get my ass out and tackle a few things. Man I sure do feel better. I very much hope this does not last long for you and warm fuzzy vibes are headed your way...

Feels kinda good fluttering in on my perch. I think I might just hold off doing one of my "short" posts for a little while yet..you know..aclimate you guys..

Congratulations to everyone who not only made this weekend poison free but to those who are still putting up the Good fight. These are the days that will change your life forever...

Dave
              Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
              AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

KENSHO;1705744 wrote: Hi everyone. Just needing to vent for a moment.
                Crap Kensho..I meant to say something to you in my above post.

I can tell you that you should talk to your husband about what you need. I dont mean talk feelings or anything because..well..thats fairly over our heads for the most part. Just put it out there..its like business. Dont be demanding...almost put it like "You know Scott..Im starting to feel a little overwhelmed with things..If you think you could catch my back on a few things because Im gonna need you on this one". Given an Option to help out is much better than given an ultimatum..or the "You make me feel ( fill in the blank )" to get us motivated to do something. Put things in ways that freely give us choices instead of options goes a long way.

Rule # 2.. (or something like that) with Men is Leave Feelings out of the picture as much as possible. Dont ask and dont tell is a safe bet. Keep those things between you girls :h

Good luck on this one ..

Dave.

PS. Im not the typical guy :H
                Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
                AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner and Kailey! Enjoy your two week milestones!

Pie :goodjob: :goodjob:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie, Lav and Gambler for the thoughts. Nice to meet you Gambler - I appreciate the male viewpoint! Sorry to stray off topic a bit. AL and anger at hubs has been an issue however. Checking out your book recommendation now Lav...

Have a good sober night All. Though I have had AL thoughts, and am dealing with the stuff that life throws me - I am so very glad to be sober. I appreciate you all very much. :h
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all! hope the site runs faster now! Just wanted to say hello to all the newcomers and a HUGE thanks to all those who have posted over the last few days! Very good stuff I have been reading.

I did discover something, however, over the last few days....at least for me personally. I am starting to wonder if lots of 'carb intake" actually makes cravings worse? Has anyone else thought this?

I packed on a few carbs to help with getting that full feeling, and boy it did (and added a few lbs...urrrumphh), but I am starting to wonder if alot of carbs is feeding the cravings? IDk maybe cause carbs process a bit differently in the body and it gets just sugar?

Curious as to what you guys think...cause I'd really like to just eat healthy (IKR?) and have my metabolism go up and not down. That being said....time to do leg lifts and stomach crunches!

Love,

Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gambler - nice to meet you and thank you for the welcome. I'm hopeful that I can get to day 14 and beyond but quite honestly, although I found day 1 relatively easy, day 14 seems a lifetime away at the moment. I haven't had 14 AF days since I started drinking - I have never managed more than four or five days so getting to day 14 is real hard to visualise. I think for me personally it is better if I just try to get through each day at the moment - it's much less daunting for me to look at things that way.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav happy 2000 days, that is a lot of "0's". thank you so much for all the help and guidance you give here. I know i would not be where i am today without your tough love.

God knows where this is going to post ha ha.
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy 2000 days, Lav! How odd that on such an important day, I feel like a rookie agin trying to figure out how to post! Thank you for your diligent work here, your words make a difference and I am proof! I am so happy for you and thankful that you were in the right place at the right time in my life. Your biggest fan, Byrdie
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats on your HUGE milestone, Lav! :yougo:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi y'all,

Gotta git my gratitude on......

Take care out there. G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X