Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters. What a glorious fall day here in my part of the world. I stepped out into the world today and was greeted by a cool, clean crisp morning. The sun at an angle that seems to make colors just jump right out to the ground. A little over a year ago I wouldn't have noticed. I would have been preoccupied by the ever present fog that hung over me until that first drink later that afternoon. I would be trying so hard to remember the night before worried that more mornings that not I would be aware of the blackouts. The sharp metallic taste in my mouth would have otherwise ruined my breakfast if the sour stomach hadn't already done so. The slight tremor in my hand would have made me self conscious and wondering if anyone noticed. Finally I would be wondering if today was the day that I would be discovered. Wondering if my wife or kids would finally discover my bottles, wondering if I would collapse at work, wondering if I would get picked up for driving drunk. I point all this out to you because in my early stages of recovery I couldn't see what I see today as a possibility. I was still enamored with the drunk life. Well Nesters its a grand life! Keep the faith, if I can do it so can you!
    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pav, I didn't notice the writing in your new avatar! I was quoting that yesterday! And it was THERE all along! Great choice! xo
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yay, Elo....now I won't have to get out my can of Techno-Whoop-Ass! Baahahaha! Glad you are back in the saddle! B
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

TJAF, it is just amazing what getting that distance from AL will do for us! You have to get OUT of the fog to be able to see it, tho! What a great post! So happy for you! B
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

TJAF;n2514079 wrote: A little over a year ago
            I think I missed your big milestone, TJAF. Congratulations on one year! And thanks for posting that lovely description of "before" and "after." It is helpful to see the other side. I hope you have a glorious day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;n2513915 wrote: Good evening Nesters,

Had a good 4 1/2 hrs alone with my younger grandson today. He's much better behaved it seems when his older brother is in school :H
              I also got the 'all clear' from the Podiatrist this afternoon - my broken foot is now history - yay! Yes, it has been an exciting summer

Eloise, I am able to write posts but I still can't get the Private Messages working 7 I DON'T HAVE A LIKE BUTTON like Byrdie :H
              I guess we need to remain patient a while longer!

Dave - just wondering - your ex doesn't work? Is that possibly her justification in home schooling the boys?
              Believe me there were times when I wanted to pull my son out of the public school system but I was working full time & just didn't want the responsibility of trying to teach him too.

LavB, QuitNet was a big help for me. Lots of support & info there too!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest. It's going down to 42 degrees tonight - nice

Lav
              Lav, go to your messages, go to your Trash folder, and permanently delete your trash. That should free up some space for PMs. If you're not a subscriber you can only have 100 PMs stored total in your Inbox, Sent, and Trash folders combined. If you subscribe you can have 500. And you only get a Like button as a subscriber.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Okay friends, how do you comment on someone's specific posts ? I am still lost and can not figure out how to personal message someone. I do not have a like button and for the life of me I can not get my avatar to show up. I can't ask the IT husband as he is still mad about many posts.

I just watched the Kevin McCauley lecture. I am quite impressed with neuroscience behind it. And I do believe coping mechanisms and behavioral modification is key to successful abstinence. But all that comes with time and doesn't address that "white knuckle-make it through the day-god how in the hell am I going to get through this-first few days. I wonder why/how we are able to get to that point where we say enough is enough and find the strength to do it? Is it the survival mid brain? Because we know if we don't stop drinking we are going to die? Is that the initiation of our survival mechanism? Now that I can think clearly I am getting more and interested in the cognitive processes that lead to addiction/recovery. I have really gotten my dork side back. :nutso:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cherokeer;n2514120 wrote: Okay friends, how do you comment on someone's specific posts ? I am still lost and can not figure out how to personal message someone. I do not have a like button and for the life of me I can not get my avatar to show up. I can't ask the IT husband as he is still mad about many posts.

I just watched the Kevin McCauley lecture. I am quite impressed with neuroscience behind it. And I do believe coping mechanisms and behavioral modification is key to successful abstinence. But all that comes with time and doesn't address that "white knuckle-make it through the day-god how in the hell am I going to get through this-first few days. I wonder why/how we are able to get to that point where we say enough is enough and find the strength to do it? Is it the survival mid brain? Because we know if we don't stop drinking we are going to die? Is that the initiation of our survival mechanism? Now that I can think clearly I am getting more and interested in the cognitive processes that lead to addiction/recovery. I have really gotten my dork side back. :nutso:
                  Cherokeer, to quote someone like I'm quoting you, you just click the word "Quote" in the bottom right hand corner of the post that you want to quote. If you're talking about posting inside the box of an individual's post like Byrdie does, you have to be a subscriber. Subscribers get a Like button, but non-subscribers like you and me don't.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cherokeer;n2514120 wrote: Okay friends, how do you comment on someone's specific posts ? I am still lost and can not figure out how to personal message someone. I do not have a like button and for the life of me I can not get my avatar to show up. I can't ask the IT husband as he is still mad about many posts.
                    As far as PMing someone goes, if you click on someone's user name under their avatar, it will take you to a page where you can PM them.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Do you know how I would subscribe?

Comment

Newbies Nest

It will cost you $30 every 3 months to subscribe and you need to have a Paypal account. Scroll up to the top of the page and there's a green line that runs left to right across the page. In that line it says Subscribe now. Click on that and you can sign up.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Newbies Nest

You can use a credit card, also.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane explains how to fix your Avatar here: https://www.mywayout.org/community/fo...o-stuff-on-mwo.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fly, you are so good at all of this! Your contributions would be so welcome on Jane's thread (https://www.mywayout.org/community/fo...-stuff-on-mwod) including how to type the code for active links in signatures. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X