Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free the prizes!

Originally posted by Cherokeer View Post
    Elvis and Pine, any advice on getting the motivation for exercise?
    I'm just going to echo what the others said, but find something you think you might like and start slow. Don't try to do everything the first day. For example, if you want to walk, choose a distance and speed you know you can handle and do that for a few days, or if you want to lift weights, choose a weight you can lift comfortably. Then after a few times you'll natuarlly start to challenge yourself to go faster, longer, or heavier. I've seen many people burn out because they bite off more than they can chew at first, and when they can't do it, they get frustrated and quit.

For me, the hardest part is just getting to the gym, or getting to the park if I want to walk or run. So I just make myself go. It helps me to have a plan (sounds familiar). Like today I will do my 300 workout. But it also helps to be flexible. I feel good at the moment so I will probably do my planned workout, but if I'm not feeling it later when I get there, I will run on the treadmill instead.
    11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

I am finally in!! Great to see everyone. Thanks for the friend request j-vo and thanks for your help Byrdie!!

Comment

Good morning Peeps! Thanks Byrdie. I don't doubt that AL desire will cross my mind again in the future, but it's definitely not the life I want - which makes it so much easier to tell the voice to stick it. I met with an old friend for coffee this morning and she said I looked better than I had in years. And THAT's what not drinking will do for you! Now, I am going for a run... been missing the sweat. I hope everyone has a good day - we're missing a few!
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good morning all, I haven't caught up with what I've missed yet but I'm checking in! Some down days and some up days over the last week, but all sober days. I've also been able to stick to not smoking, though my food choices have been a bit scattered at times. :P Not worrying about that side as long as I'm keeping mostly balanced in my eating, though.

Even without the site up, the memory of you guys has helped a lot. On my down days it helps so much to remind myself that YES that is still a part of the quit and YES it will pass. I'll be celebrating my first sober birthday in years today - little shopping with my mother and then plans for video game time with a close friend tonight. Every time I consider trying a drink "just to see" I've been reminding myself that I want that drink so as not to think...and if I'm not thinking I can't expect myself to think enough to stop...so really, better not to even have the one. I can't say that I never have the thoughts; but it's gotten so much better with time. I think the hardest part is that my brain wants me to think I'm "ok" now; I have to really slow down and make myself remember where I was when I found the site and how easy it would be to go back there.

I need to get some food in me and try to catch up with what everyone else has been up to; hope everyone has a lovely and AF day! (Also, I'm liking the new layout!)
          Last edited by LavenderBlue; October 8, 2014, 12:55 PM.
          I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
          AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
            LAVENDAR Blue - where are you?
            *waves arms* I'm here, I'm here!!! (And thanks for posting that. *hugs*)

My mood's been up and down the last few days - no big surprise there but for some reason I was putting off getting back in here. I think even in that week I was falling into trying to take care of everyone else and forgetting I still need to make space to take care of me? (And as soon as I type that, I can see that's probably part of it.) In any case I'm glad to be back and I send so much support your way. Good for you for being honest; I know I've thought before that if I slipped "no one would have to know"...but then, it's that sort of lying that got me where I am. I love hearing you sound so sure of yourself and hope you're proud of all you've learned and your decisions going forward!
            I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
            AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Hello everyone, sounds like hump day is going well.
              Hi Lav, Kensho, River, Byrdie and Elvis, plus everyone else. Thank you for being here.

I was listening to The Bubble Hour today on my walk in to work and Dr. John Kelly was the guest speaker. He was saying that 2 things were most prevalent in people who
              could abstain long term from AL. The first thing was some kind of spirituality or meditation and the second was having a group of people connected to your sobriety. That
              would be us here are MWO. I know that really helps me.
              I started the HeadSpace meditation program which RJ recommended and I think I may join that and actually meditate. Just one more tool to add to my recovery.

I have been seriously thinking of going to a womens only AA meeting on Saturdays just to beef up my sobriety plan. I find my mind wandering sometimes thinking I can
              moderate and Sometimes I REALLY want a drink! So I think I may need to implement some other strategies to keep myself sober. Frick it is tough!

I keep wanting MWO to be enough but I don't know if it is. If it was easy we wouldn't be here I guess.

Have a great day everyone.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by narilly View Post
                I have been seriously thinking of going to a womens only AA meeting on Saturdays just to beef up my sobriety plan. I find my mind wandering sometimes thinking I can
                moderate and Sometimes I REALLY want a drink! So I think I may need to implement some other strategies to keep myself sober. Frick it is tough!

I keep wanting MWO to be enough but I don't know if it is. If it was easy we wouldn't be here I guess.
                Nar if you think you need something else then go for it. You have nothing to lose and protecting your quit is your highest priority. I have found that mwo and my children's support has been enough. i have been making myself more accountable by telling good friends now whereas before it was only close friends. I will say that the more distance from al the easier it is. g
                yesterday i had a very stressful day, my friend with cancer is back in hospital as he is in so much pain and they need to operate and havent. another patient rang me in tears as one of my drs is not giving her the time she requires and she was crying and a friend said he is depressed about his drinking again. I was so farking mad and cranky for some reason, well i know why, i cant save the world and i cant solve everyones problems! I went for a massive power walk and had some me time getting my eyebrows threaded and tinted and at no stage did i think of al until i realised i did not think of it. It takes time Nar definitely. I used to fight those modding uorges and they drain you but never would i give up my quit for anything or anyone.

Mr G glad you are okay today, one day at a time.
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hello my name is Mr B. I am new here and trying to get my life back together.

Comment

Hello, Mr B. I think I met you last night on the gratitude thread. You've come to a great place to get the support most of us need to get free of a life-ruining addiction. Reading past posts in the nest can be really helpful as well as posts in the toolbox. Ask questions or share how you're feeling - odds are good people will relate to what you're saying and might have some ideas for you to try. Glad you made your way to the nest!

Comment

Hi Mr. B and welcome. Glad you decided to join us. Tell us a bit about yourself. We're all good listeners. Making the commitment to quit AL and making that first post are the beginning of a brand new life. There are lots of success stories here, so read, read, read and be inspired. Hang in there and hope to get to know you better.
                      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Hi Mr. B. Welcome! Read and post, and read and post. There is a wealth of information here, and a lots of friendly support. Glad you're here.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Welcome Mr B and you are in a great place. I know if not for mwo and the supportive people on here i would not be where i am today. Take each day as it comes and protect your quit with your life.
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Greetings Nesters near and not so far,

Welcome Mr B. You have landed in a very good joint.

Thanks for your good wishes y'all. Thursday morning here, the sun is shining, and protecting my quit no matter what, no matter who, no matter where.

Take it easy out there. G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi Mr B! You've found a great place to hang your hat and gather all the help and support you need!

Hi everyone else! Just about done harvest, 3 or 4 more days to go then I can come back and get caught up! Just a little poem that came to me as I was combining today...

Most of harvest has gone by
                              And I miss my friends on here
                              The stories, trials, and tribulations
                              But I sure don't miss my beer

No more mornings fuzzy headed
                              Thinking I need to have a drink
                              To stop my head and hands from shaking
                              And more clearly I could think

The noise of the equipment
                              Didn't help my pounding head
                              I just wanted to get finished
                              So I could crawl back in my bed

The neighbour says he's quite impressed
                              He sees a whole new me
                              Giving up the beer and whiskey
                              Has finally set me free

I just wish I'd done it sooner
                              All those years of wasted life
                              Finding comfort in a bottle
                              Not in the arms of my darling wife

And now I wake up in the morning
                              Looking forward to my day
                              Sixteen hours on the combine
                              But this year I'm worth my pay

And so my friends here on this thread
                              You've had some quiet time
                              But I hope you've missed this old cowboy
                              My writings and my rhyme

It won't be long and I'll be back
                              And fill you with my words
                              You'll pray that seeding time comes quick
                              So that less of me is heard!!

Have a great rest of the day my friends, and stay away from the bad stuff eh!
                              Last edited by abcowboy; October 8, 2014, 06:58 PM.
                              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hey Mr B!
                                Welcome aboard! Every single one of us flew in here scared and worried about what the future would hold. I couldnt imagine the rest of my life without AL!! Unthinkable! I am in the business community, I socialize and go to neighborhood parties how am I expected NOT to drink? It just got to a point where something had to give, and it was me. How did I do it? I made a decision NOT to drink for this day...and I have been doing it for 1359 days. So far, so good!! Glad you are here!! Byrdie.
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X