No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning All! Love the dream Byrdie. I'm in a rush, rush, rush... way too much on my plate right now. I have found that what I look forward to most in the day is getting into bed at night! I think maybe I should try to not be so busy. BUT, I DON'T look forward to a drink - it used to be what got me through the day. Nice little reminder, like NS said - once you get used to being AF for a bit, it just becomes natural. I know my "9" number looks bad, but I have consumed less than 3 drinks in 90 days and have reached the point that I get through many, many days not even thinking about it, unless I arrive at a situation where it is present. Last night I attended a work event and my industry centers around throwing a drink at you when you walk in the door. It felt easy to just say - no not tonight, thanks. ("No, not EVER" I said to myself).

Keep up the fight all - and do whatever it takes to get yourself to 30 days AF and see the changes. Then get to 60 and you will notice even more wonderful transformations. It takes faith that the hard days won't break you, but I assure you that if you do what it takes to "just not drink TODAY", you will arrive somewhere so much more wonderful that it is worth every little bit of pain along the way! I promise!!!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

STL, thanks for the article. It was really interesting. I do agree with what the author says about recovery. No one understands it like someone who has gone through it or is going through it. That is what is so great about MWO. We have all been there or ARE there.
      Elvis, love the quote. Thats what I'm talking about!

Hey Byrdie, I agree, you must have been drunk. That is quite a dream. I think about the things I did when I was drunk and shudder. I became another person sometimes and did things I would never do when I was sober. Thank goodness I have quit that shite.

Talk soon.
      Last edited by narilly; October 10, 2014, 04:04 PM.
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Ok, where is Jane and Rahul??? And Gambler? Dont make us come after you!!!
        Hope everyone has a good strong plan for the weekend. Its only Friday, not a ticket to Boozeville. What we truly deserve is a life without addiction! Hang on, everyone! Happy Friday!!! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by frances View Post
          Good morning all! Happy to be here and see everyone! It took awhile to figure out how to get on but overall I think I am going to like this version much better than the last! I'm hanging in there and still racking up the days but I don't know where I am (without roll call I have lost count) - I wrote my quit day down it is on my computer at work - it will be nice to go post on roll call once I figure out what day I am on!

Hope everyone is doing well.
          Frances, i use the link below to figure it out now

The Duration Calculator calculates the number of days, months and years between two dates.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

That resonated with me also Elvis, i know if it was not for the people on here that totally understand what being addicted is like i would not be where i am today, none of us would be. I would never have dreamt of going to my doctor to tell him i am an alcoholic and wanted to stop. I felt no one understood and no one was going through what i was. How wrong was i!. There are so many people who knew the pain i was suffering when i found this site (drunk of course) and this is why i have to log on here daily to keep reminding myself of what i was like months ago and of what i dont want to go back to. Overcoming addiction to al takes work and time and that is something i can do now and have a fulfilling happy life. I cant be drawn back to the hell i was living 10 months ago. As the author said he had af time and then relapsed and that was his very last time 20 years ago. Give yourself some time Elvis, the days will get better and brighter for you. You have made my resolve much much stronger and refocused my determination on keeping sober even though i hate the thought that you relapsed it does send reminders to us further along in days to not become complacent in sobriety and not drinking still has to be a priority, our number 1 priority.

Byrd would you please like to tell me why i had a dream i took liam and mia to siberia? I had packed to go and then found out i had left my passport at home so could not go. Why the hell would i dream about going on a holiday to Siberia.

Great read STL, it is all about timing and luck i think in stopping drinking. I always wonder why and how i have stopped and how i have gone for so long. Then i tell myself i am so very lucky and grateful and not to question but just do what i am doing.

Has anyone heard how DD is going?
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava, maybe that was a drunk dream!

I am going out for pizza and 'not beer' now. Hopefully my friend doesn't make a big deal about me not drinking. Anyway, there is no way in hell I am going to drink tonight, just sayin'

My hubby was supposed to get a job offer this week but didn't, I guess they are interviewing more people. Oh well, hopefully he gets one next week.
              Talk later.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Dropping in to wish everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.
                Chilly & damp here at the moment, won't last long.
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Elvis I have been thinking about honesty since reading your post. I am having some trust issues. Even though I know how addiction works, I'm still having trouble with lying. But time does rebuild trust and it does get better.
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
                    Has anyone heard how DD is going?
                    Ava, I've PM'd her a few time but never heard back. I worry about her all the time. I wish I'd have connected with her outside MWO.

Comment

Hi, Nest:

LOVE good dreams, Ava and Byrdie. I like trying to figure them out.

STL - Thanks for the link. I feel that same way about getting advice and understanding ONLY from someone who has been here before. I have a friend who has both parents, two sisters and one brother in recovery, and she herself is in Al Anon. Other than her, I really just trust you people who know what I'm talking about. Others try to have sympathy, pity, curiosity and even support, but I feel like they are lacking empathy and understanding of just what an addiction is. I definitely don't want to get help from my doctor who definitely knows her science and is incredibly nice, but also looks perfect, and I'm sure packs healthy lunches for her kids and does pilates every day. Point being, I feel like, even if you all pack healthy lunches and do pilates, you have been with AL as I have.

Right now I want a massage and pedicure, but I'll settle for a soft pillow and a good book.

I think of DD, too. I hope she is well.

Stay close, nest. Take care of yourselves, and don't drink, no matter what.

Pav

Comment

Hiya Pavi and y'all,

Checking in. All very good here. A working weekend for me, and that's ok. 28c and sunny here tomorrow (sunday), and where will i be? Paying that damn ferryman! There's no free ride......:distracted:

Have a safe, sober and magical weekend Nesters. G bloketh.
                        Last edited by Guitarista; October 11, 2014, 02:09 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi all, a Saturday morning check in for me. I'm sitting looking out my window watching the sun warm up the cold outside a bit before I have to walk the dog. I'm grateful for my hot tea and my sobriety. I'm planning on working out, doing some shopping and some meditating today and not a lot else. Enjoying an AF weekend is a real treat to me!
                          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Saturday to all!

I spent most of my life working weekends, holiday & shift work G - know how you feel. Hope you have a great day

Pav, reading your post reminds me of something important. Forgiving ourselves is important so that we can move on! Self-forgiveness & acceptance was not an easy step for me to take either. We can be too hard on ourselves & the truth is there's no point in beating ourselves up about the past. We all have to accept our history with gratitude as a very hard lesson learned. We know better now & will not repeat past mistakes

Rain here today so I guess I will catch up on inside projects & maybe make soup!!!!
                            Wishing everyone a terrific AF Saturday!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post
                              Forgiving ourselves is important so that we can move on! Self-forgiveness & acceptance was not an easy step for me to take either. We can be too hard on ourselves & the truth is there's no point in beating ourselves up about the past. We all have to accept our history with gratitude as a very hard lesson learned. We know better now & will not repeat past mistakes.
                              This was probably my biggest stumbling block, Lav! Sure, I could Not Drink, but I was unable to truly become a sober person until I quit berating myself for "what I had done". I didn't think I would ever get past the guilt, regrets, and "what-might-have-beens". Even though I knew it was pointless and really, counter-productive, I was stuck.

Reading posts here, asking questions, and learning about the science of addiction made all the difference. I believe we are all responsible for our choices and actions and my lizard brain is, after all, part of me but by the time that we realize that consuming a socially acceptable, legal, and encouraged substance is causing us problems, we are already addicted.

I will always wish I had taken action (joining MWO ) much earlier but I'm no longer immobilized by the guilt of having caused or failed to stop an addiction I wasn't even aware of until I was all the way in.

Have a good Saturday, Nest!

Comment

Good morning everyone! Looking forward to a great AF weekend here. Went out for a 'team party' last night with my work group - out of 8 people about half were drinking and half were not. When everything was done 4 left and 4 stayed back talking and one was finishing his beer. I am their boss so I stayed because I thought it would be rude to leave. The one still drinking was going on and on and on and was clearly pretty buzzed and I felt badly but I just couldn't stay and listen to the nonsense anymore - I said 'I'm sorry but I have to go now' and told them to have fun and then got out of there as fast as I could. It still is really strange for me to go to events like this and not be drinking - something that hasn't happened for 30 years or so! My social life is pretty nonexistent lately with work and kid obligations, but when I am out and see others getting drunk it is always a good reminder of how I was and how I don't want to be again!

Thanks for the link Ava that will come in handy!!

Comment

Working...
                                X