No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love that, and I'm really glad to hear that things will heal. I"m so ready!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Me, too, Kensho! Cause I know I did a lot of damage!
      STL, I clicked on that link and it wasnt so bad! Great article! I totally remember drinking and wondering WHY? Id have half a glass left when I woke up (or came to, as the case may be) and chug it down before going to bed!? WHY? Very interesting to realize that our processors are just overwhelmed!

I am so glad we have a scientific community here in our midst to explain all of this stuff! It is so helpful to understand there is solid science behind why we do things that we know are BAD for us. The science of addiction would be really fascinating if I werent smack in the middle of it! :numbness: B
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Someone had mentioned earlier the relapse thread that NS had started a while back that I was once subscribed to but can longer find...anyone know what it was called or have a link? Thanks

Edit: Sorry, found it later using the advanced search...here it is again:

Hi :) It seems like it is fairly easy to find posts about getting free of alcohol and how to keep it going. But I'm wondering about what happens that leads to relapse. I see people coming to MWO after fairly to very long periods of sobriety but I don't know their back stories and don't really know where to find them in the MWO
        Last edited by See the Light; October 22, 2014, 04:25 PM.
        “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Hey thanks for that explanation, NS. That's about the easiest way I've ever seen it described. I really haven't read anything about addiction and the brain but I know that many find it very helpful to do so. After "leveling off "at around four months, I find the sensations of balancE and calm to be extremely pleasant.
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Yo Nester's near and not so far,

Thanks for those links STL. I like this, and i quote from one researcher (Rob Weiss - Huff post 22nd Oct. 2014):

'Thus we see that healthy, non-addicted people under stress are likely, except in extreme circumstances, to take a deep breath, meditate, go for a walk, take a relaxing bath, watch TV, or talk to a friend as a way to cope and feel better. Conversely, those vulnerable to addiction (through genetics and/or life circumstances), when presented with similar stress, are much more likely to move toward the distraction brought about by neurochemical stimulation (via addictive substances and/or behaviors). Eventually, as they repeatedly "lose themselves" in this neurochemical fog of arousal and distraction, addiction rears its ugly head and they just plain lose their ability to say no'.

Think positive y'all. It's not always easy to do this, but sometimes we have to push through the fog and resistance, which for me at least, are usually mythical barriers and false perceptions i have somehow created. When i get myself distracted by doing something positive for me, and get myself out of my head and my negative, limiting thinking, i am okay.

Just do your best friends. G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Here's what looks like an upcoming doco on booze in the U.K. It's called 'The royal hangover'. I'll be looking this one up. This is the trailer only.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hi there G

I hope everyone had a good day, I did despite the chilly rain.
                I have an early appointment in the morning so I'll check in sometime later in the day.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Have fun reading the articles folks have so kindly linked today

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hiya Lav! :llama:

Comment

Hi Nesties,
                    Today was a difficult day for me with my depression. Had a few cries, difficulty handling some work issues, and just not feeling good about myself. I know those will pass and get better with time. Just saying how I feel. When I have these feelings, insecurities creep up, and I just have a hard time with focusing on the positive. When I was reading in the nest earlier, it did help to hear and see some good stuff, so thank you. It was a great distraction and good reminders to be grateful. I need to return to the gratitude thread. I know not feeling good is ok and even sober people don't have great days all the time.

OKoren, Thank you for the kind words. When I've fallen in the past, it took me a long time to come back, months, years. But what I know now is that I can't drink, there's no moderation for me, and when I fall into the pit, I must get out. The trick now is to stay out of the pit, and with reducing thoughts, focusing on one thing (MWO) and staying connected, I feel I have a great chance.

abcowboy, loved this part:

"it's about unbecoming everything that isn't really you so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place." Amen to that. Peeling back the layers, the old skin, and finding the good stuff inside.

See the Light, thanks for those links. I liked the "Why some People Just Can't Say No...gives some perspective on how we react to situations and why and how normies react. We have to practice those normie ways, and it may seem strange, but everything takes time. I've also got to keep an eye on my depression and anxiety, as it did say when we're in those down periods, we're less likely to make good choices. I believe that. But it doesn't need to be an excuse to drink, and now I know that. I have other ways to deal with the lows, which I did today. Nope, I didn't get on my treadmill. I got home from work, slept an hour, laid on the couch for three hours, then did some stuff. Yesterday I was way more productive, but yesterday I didn't have the down feelings I had today. So I'm fine now, I think I just needed to rest and relax tonight and of course, not drink.

Nar, It is sad that people that have a compromised kidney come in drunk to have themselves cleaned out. We may not have gotten that far, but I believe that any one of us, if continue to drink, or pick up after awhile, could easily fall into that deep addiction. Addiction is powerful, and even someone who needs dialysis will do what their addiction drives them to do because the addiction is in control, and not that person. That person doesn't want to drink, then go to dialysis. What does that say about our health care? Why can't there be health provisions for someone in that kind of situation, since a lot of these issues initially arise because of alcohol consumption...take care off the problem, the alcoholism, the mental health issues that are the root of the kidney problem.

Kensho, I'm with you on some reading. Some of that gets me into trouble. I like learning about the science behind the addiction, healing, but for right now, I need to go the Lav route with gratitude and community.

NS, that was an interesting and simplified version of the dopamine receptors returning to normal and that normal things become pleasurable again. My question is this...As I continue to take anti-depressants, I wonder if my brain will heal differently, the same, or won't at all. And maybe I should leave that questions on the shelf for awhile...

Good to see you G-man.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good to see you too J-vo.

When i'm feeling low, often my only way out is through. I suppose 'through' can mean a different thing for all of us. But for me these days, i try to acknowledge and accept my thoughts/feelings, and observe them, letting them be and knowing i don't have to act on any self destructive thoughts/feelings, and refocusing on my reason for being/mission statement (for life).

Difficult to do in early sobriety but good to practice. It gets much easier for me to do this the more time i rack up since my last drink.

You raawk my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by See the Light View Post
                        Someone had mentioned earlier the relapse thread that NS had started a while back that I was once subscribed to but can longer find...anyone know what it was called or have a link? Thanks

Edit: Sorry, found it later using the advanced search...here it is again:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/sh...-in-Retrospect
                        STL thanks for digging this up. This was the thread I referred to a day or so ago. I read it sometime back. Good stuff.

On this topic of relapses, I was wondering if anyone had seen any numbers on the incidences of relapses among those that have achieved sobriety for, say 1 year, 3 years... maybe 5 years?

Anecdotally, we occasionally hear about a sad case where someone with extended sobriety like this, in fact relapses. But my gut tells me this is the exception not the rule, and that most folk who are sober that long, just move on and lead normal AF lives. But, I was curious what the numbers are?

Does anyone have any ideas on this?
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by j-vo View Post
                          Hi Nesties,
                          Today was a difficult day for me with my depression. Had a few cries, difficulty handling some work issues, and just not feeling good about myself. I know those will pass and get better with time. Just saying how I feel. When I have these feelings, insecurities creep up, and I just have a hard time with focusing on the positive. When I was reading in the nest earlier, it did help to hear and see some good stuff, so thank you. It was a great distraction and good reminders to be grateful. I need to return to the gratitude thread. I know not feeling good is ok and even sober people don't have great days all the time.

OKoren, Thank you for the kind words. When I've fallen in the past, it took me a long time to come back, months, years. But what I know now is that I can't drink, there's no moderation for me, and when I fall into the pit, I must get out. The trick now is to stay out of the pit, and with reducing thoughts, focusing on one thing (MWO) and staying connected, I feel I have a great chance.

abcowboy, loved this part:

"it's about unbecoming everything that isn't really you so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place." Amen to that. Peeling back the layers, the old skin, and finding the good stuff inside.

See the Light, thanks for those links. I liked the "Why some People Just Can't Say No...gives some perspective on how we react to situations and why and how normies react. We have to practice those normie ways, and it may seem strange, but everything takes time. I've also got to keep an eye on my depression and anxiety, as it did say when we're in those down periods, we're less likely to make good choices. I believe that. But it doesn't need to be an excuse to drink, and now I know that. I have other ways to deal with the lows, which I did today. Nope, I didn't get on my treadmill. I got home from work, slept an hour, laid on the couch for three hours, then did some stuff. Yesterday I was way more productive, but yesterday I didn't have the down feelings I had today. So I'm fine now, I think I just needed to rest and relax tonight and of course, not drink.

Nar, It is sad that people that have a compromised kidney come in drunk to have themselves cleaned out. We may not have gotten that far, but I believe that any one of us, if continue to drink, or pick up after awhile, could easily fall into that deep addiction. Addiction is powerful, and even someone who needs dialysis will do what their addiction drives them to do because the addiction is in control, and not that person. That person doesn't want to drink, then go to dialysis. What does that say about our health care? Why can't there be health provisions for someone in that kind of situation, since a lot of these issues initially arise because of alcohol consumption...take care off the problem, the alcoholism, the mental health issues that are the root of the kidney problem.

Kensho, I'm with you on some reading. Some of that gets me into trouble. I like learning about the science behind the addiction, healing, but for right now, I need to go the Lav route with gratitude and community.

NS, that was an interesting and simplified version of the dopamine receptors returning to normal and that normal things become pleasurable again. My question is this...As I continue to take anti-depressants, I wonder if my brain will heal differently, the same, or won't at all. And maybe I should leave that questions on the shelf for awhile...

Good to see you G-man.
                          You are my sunshine,
                          My only sunshine.
                          You make me hap-peeeee
                          when skies are gray,
                          You'll never know, Dear.....
                          How much I love you....
                          Please don't take, my sunshine away!

Hope tomorrow is a brighter day, XXOO, t
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Okoren, this is all I could find, it's from the American Bar Association website...

Relapse is the return to alcohol or drug use after an individual acknowledges the presence of addictive disease, recognizes the need for total abstinence, and makes a decision to maintain sobriety with the assistance of a recovery program. According to a survey of members of AA, 75 percent experience a relapse during their first year of recovery. For those who are sober five years, the rate drops to 7 percent. People who successfully complete a formal treatment program such as a 28-day inpatient program or an intensive outpatient program have significantly higher recovery rates than those who do not.
                            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Cowboy, that sounds right. I have read and heard the same thing.

Byrdie, love your singing! J-Vo, sorry you had a crappy day but you still sound really good.

G, thanks for the link, I love doco's on AL. The UK makes good ones.

Have a great night everyone.
                              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I'm sorry you're feeling so low j-vo. I was quite depressed in high school and I know how isolating and desperate it can feel. It can be solved though - and drinking is definitely NOT a part of the equation. Right here with you on our day 4 tomorrow. Keep the faith that it will get better
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X