No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend posted this on Facebook & I thought it was worth sharing. Who knew there was a website called xojane ! lol
    Wishing everyone strength to paint the day sober.

AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Good morning Nesters!

Dark & damp in my portion of the nest once again, oh well.
      I have lots of work to do so I'll just turn on all the lights & ignore what's going on outside

Jane, interesting website find

Daisy, I don't like to use mousetraps because then you have to remove & dispose of the carcasses
      I had a few traps set in my garage years ago & my big dumb dog set one off trying to steal the bait. She looked ridiculous walking around with that thing stuck on her lip. She earned the nickname 'Maxie Mousetrap' that day, LOL

Wishing everyone a productive AF Thursday ~ that's my plan

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Jane, goid read! Thanks
        Lav, I couldn't release from the trap....too freaked out....just use a stick to shove the whole thing into a bag and dump.
        Humanely chased the first 2 out the front door only to read that mice come right back in unless you dispose at least a mile from your house. I have found the area, under sink cupboard, where they seem to be getting in but not the actual hole. More investigations today.......
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

I do have a funny story about a mouse. We use some kind of corn based litter for the cat's box. One day my wife went to go change the litter and there's a mouse just sitting in the litter munching away. So she pick it up by the tail and dangles it in front of each of the three cats. They all kind of looked at it, shrugged it off, and went back to whatever they were doing. One of them even gave her a dirty look like, "Ew, get that disgusting thing out of my face!"

Have a great day everyone!
          11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Morning! Can't post too much since everyone in the office can see my computer.

Have a great sober day everyone!

Mariane
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

GMAE everyone- Daisy, it looks like you need a better mousetrap (or a cat with a gun):

Great link Jane...and welcome back (no pun intended) Byrdie

Hope everyone else is gearing up for a positive AF day
              Attached Files
              “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Morning, all! Busy morning catching up from being bottoms up yesterday!
                My insides feel like I had a bad fight with a toilet brush!
                Thinking of everyone today....what a wonderful bunch of people!! Hope you all have an easy day! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good morning' Peeps! I have a difficult schedule today because I'm taking my son in for blood sugar testing tomorrow - taking the morning off with him to do mommy-son stuff. He can make up the school, but we can't make up the special time. I've been really craving drinks - I think it's because I've been eating too much sugar and crap (and been spread a bit thin with work). I know it's a good thing to give thy self what we need when quitting, but at some point, it seems to be detrimental to me and increase cravings. I need to go back to the better, more whole eating with less sugar. I never felt better when I did that previously.

I hope everyone finds something to be very appreciative of today. Even just one thing. It can warm the heart and turn an attitude around! Stay strong! I read every post - support to all! :heartbeat:
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                    I know it's a good thing to give thy self what we need when quitting, but at some point, it seems to be detrimental to me and increase cravings. I need to go back to the better, more whole eating with less sugar. I never felt better when I did that previously.
                    Kensho, Individuals seem to respond differently re: alcohol and sugar. The trick is to find what works for you and stick with it. Many people find sugar (and caffeine, for some) to be good AL substitutes that reduce cravings -- look at all the coffee and donuts served at AA meetings! Others such as myself find that its more of an all or none deal and do much better by avoiding anything that sparks the reward center. I've not noticed any problems with my morning coffee (I'm very appreciative for that!) but, especially at the beginning, found that eating sugar really set off the craving for alcohol. And like anything else, you get used to not having certain things and now I really don't miss either of them. Humans (fortunately!) are remarkably adaptable.

Comment

One more reason to take a good B vitamin everyday http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...-2/134-142.htm
                      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                        Good morning' Peeps! I have a difficult schedule today because I'm taking my son in for blood sugar testing tomorrow - taking the morning off with him to do mommy-son stuff. He can make up the school, but we can't make up the special time. I've been really craving drinks - I think it's because I've been eating too much sugar and crap (and been spread a bit thin with work). I know it's a good thing to give thy self what we need when quitting, but at some point, it seems to be detrimental to me and increase cravings. I need to go back to the better, more whole eating with less sugar. I never felt better when I did that previously.

I hope everyone finds something to be very appreciative of today. Even just one thing. It can warm the heart and turn an attitude around! Stay strong! I read every post - support to all! :heartbeat:
                        You hang in there Kensho!
                        Try and get in some me time... maybe listen to the Bubble Hour for a bit a work?
                        That is what I have been doing lately, I am working on a mind numbing project so I can listen and work. I don't remember everything of course later, but some important stuff stick.
                        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

You guys are certainly cheerful today. I feel crabby and tired.
                          (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Mr. B, you've got much on your plate right now and I wish you strength to deal with all of it. Matt offered up some very personal thoughts through his experience which I found quite meaningful and am sure you did as well. Being present when it matters, when it really counts, is what we all want and seek to attain. There will never be any regrets if we consider our actions and who we want to be now as we reflect back on difficult times in the future. Best to you.

One of the strongest themes I've seen on these boards is regret and the avoidance of it. What led me here is certainly having had enough it. And as I've posted this week, I'm swimming upstream in a sea of it. I'm getting to a better place, due very much to this place, and by reaching an understanding that regret is within our control. Regret sucks because it stems from our words and our actions, or lack thereof. We generally cause it to happen because we said it or did it, whatever it is or was.

Drinking will unequivocably lead to regret. So if I follow this logic and recall geometry correctly, I can decide to not make choices or decisions that I know will in all likelihood lead to more regret. Now I know that alcohol isn't logical, quite the opposite. I know more so that I've never said to myself "damn I wish I drank tonight" as I get in bed. Or woke up in the morning and thought, well that's a night of drinking that I missed out on.

Regret also becomes circular and leads to the piling on aspect. The crappy things we say and do when drinking just breed and multiply. You regret drinking and also the argument you caused because you were drunk, the trust you breached because you were impaired or the relationships you damaged by being shitfaced. And then you drink to avoid what has filled you with regret to not deal with it. On and on it goes.

There will be enough moments in life that still involve some form of regret because we're not infallible. I'm certainly not striving for regret-free living since I'm a recovering realist. But I don't need any more regret from drinking. Not another night, morning or moment to feel bad about it. There are no regrets with achieving sobriety.
                            Last edited by Resolve; November 6, 2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise View Post
                              You guys are certainly cheerful today. I feel crabby and tired.
                              Sorry to hear that El- watch this baby otter and tell me you don't immediately feel better

“Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Originally posted by See the Light View Post
                                Sorry to hear that El- watch this baby otter and tell me you don't immediately feel better

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/...ter-rescue.cnn

I want one :smile:! Thanks for sharing that, STL.

Comment

Working...
                                X