Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Everyone:

Great post, Mossy. I am so glad that now with my teenaged kids I can be present for them. My younger one asked me how long it had been since I had a drink and when I told him a year I asked him why. He told me that he wanted to use me as a role model! Very rewarding.

I agree, Matt. Alcoholics worry a lot more about what people are drinking or not drinking than non-alcoholics.

I have a different take than complete honesty, Resolve. I was completely honest with my husband, my counselor, MWO and a good friend who is one of us. With everyone else I still say - it was becoming too much of a habit, I found myself relying on it in a way that made me uncomfortable, or something benign like that. If someone presses me, I don't mind going into details, but often they don't and just move on (like Matt points out above). Especially when I first quit, however, it was always just "I quit for December as part of a health kick" or something like that. Enough people knew and held me accountable so I know I wasn't leaving a door open, but at the same time I protected my fragile self from a lot of questions I wasn't ready to answer. I remember my cousin's husband asked "forever?" and I said, "forever is a long time." Turns out that he is one of us, and my answer left the door open for him to come talk to me privately later.

Sho - 7 days tomorrow? I am a counter and measurer, and I love those milestones. That is why the Roll Call was so important to me (thanks, Fin). As someone here said, once you've hit 7, you've been through all of the days of the week sober.

Even though I haven't figured out how to change my status, I am HAPPY and AWESOME (but not always!).

Happy Sober Hump Day!
    Pav
    Last edited by Pavati; December 10, 2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

And welcome back, Open Halo. I'm sorry you feel so bad right now, but it will get better.

I loved my detox baths my first several days - jasmine bath powder and Epsom salts. Epsom salts actually have magnesium which helps regulate body functions, so it actually does calm you down when your body is saying WTF is going on here?!

You're sounding strong Daisy!

Comment

Feeling good Pav, even though I am still up in the early hours.....just in bed! Gonna give that detox bath a go!
        Thanks for the encouragement.....love your posts!
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Resolve my sis and I were drinking, partying buddies too. But it's the truth. People really only care about what's in their glass, not what's in yours. And she and I have since talked about drinking and she is definately reconsidering HER drinking. NS posted an articl on recovery carriers. The fact that recovery is contagious. I'm personally glad to have something this wonderful rub off on others.
          Mossrose thanks for that wonderful post. In my opinion that illustrates how progressive this is.
          Open Halo good to see you here.
          I'm sore and exhausted. Nite all.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Pav you should see a pencil symbol next to "I am" that should give you the options
            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Hah. Fun. Check it out now.

Comment

Day 7! Yeah!

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

Happy Thursday to all!

CONGRATS on 7 AF days Sho! Someone will be along soon with your prize :welldone:

Daisy, you sound good - keep going!

Openhalo, get your plan together & stick with us! Letting go of AL is always the best decision. None of us need AL in our lives!

Wishing everyone a great AF day!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Morning, all!
                    Sho, Eloise is in charge of 7 and 30 day prizes, but I cant help myself in congratulating you myself! There is nothing fun about those first 7 days, butt they are behind you now. This reminds me of the great Forrest Gump scene when Forrest takes off with the football....RUN, FORREST, RUN! Dont look back, aint nuthin back there! So proud of you!

Off to my meeting!
                    Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Congratulations Sho! Don't look back there is nothing there for us anymore. There area so many blessings on this AF path. Like Byrdie says, keep going!
                      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Good job on 7 days Sho!

It's prime season for holiday parties this week and next. Now would be a good time to sure up plans your reaffirm your reasons for sobriety. Just because they serve alcohol, doesn't mean you have to drink it! Don't be afraid to post here and ask for help if you need it.

Have a great day everyone!
                        11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Thanks so much everyone! I was actually surprised it was 7 days, the 3rd and 4th day really were groaners but after that was not to bad in the grand scheme of things. I've had some headaches, but I've cut back on my coffee a bit as well to help with my sleep. I'm really looking forward to another 7 days of not being ashamed of myself as well as being there 100% for my family. I will keep posting talking to everyone really has made a difference and helped my confidence level. There is strength in numbers that's for sure.

Comment

Congrats Sho!
                            You are embracing the recipe for success. Keep on keeping on. Your doing great!
                            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Go Sho! Go Sho! So happy for you! The second week is easier, but you have to stay diligent! Just get through those urges... they never last! And once you get the alcohol out of your system, you will be able to do and see things with so much more clarity.

I just visited the dentist (belch). I was asked to fill out an updated health form. On a "have you ever had" list of probably 40 things, right at the top was Alcoholism. (Don't know why a dentist needs to know that). Woa! Am I really in this category? I would have never previously checked that box as I only ever considered myself someone who "abused it". I checked two boxes, and that was one of them. Crap. I am in this category. Well, its part of me, along with a lot of other good and bad things... just me. And I know a lot of other people who check the box and they are GOOD people! Now the whole office knows. Perhaps others in the office would check that box as well, and probably plenty of other patients. I'm not alone. I checked the Alcoholism box and I admit it.
                              Last edited by KENSHO; December 11, 2014, 12:45 PM.
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by shoshannadreyfus View Post
                                day 7! Yeah!
                                congratulations!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X