Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TJAF View Post
    Evening all. I don't post much. Its not that I don't have anything to say its just that folks like Byrdie Lav and NS spread the word so well. I just like to poke my head in from time to time as a quiet example that this battle is winable. Ive been sober now for almost a year and a half. It hasn't been easy and there are days when I want a drink. But those days are rare now. You all can do this. I was as bad a drunk as they come but Ive managed to make it work and it all starts with a simple but elegant solution..."I don't drink" Thank you Byrdie fir drumming that into my head in the early days. Have a great vacation Pav.
    I love seeing these posts from folks who have been successful long-term. Thanks for stopping by, TJAF.
    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Originally posted by okoren1 View Post
      When relapse is mentioned around here, I have seen the comment made, something to the effect that, "relapse often occurs before a drink is taken".

I am not sure what this means. Any comments?
      I posted about my experience on the Relapse in Retrospect thread. After 270 days without a drink...I had three things happening before I took a drink. 1) I was thinking about drinking more often and thinking maybe I could control it now. 2) I was thinking I wasn't that bad and even said that out loud to a friend. 3) I was feeling deprived because of the upcoming holidays and parties and missing out.

I am back and still sober after drinking on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and then again on Thanksgiving. Haven't had a drink since then and don't plan to. But today I'm feeling very stressed. Things very busy at work and then at home after work hours and this is taking away time for coming on here and staying in touch. This is very important and we need to make sure to make time for this site as it is a key factor in our success. At least it has been for me. Today I am stressed at work, fighting with my 14 year old daughter, and some vacation plans that might be going sour. Oh yeah, PMS too. Fun. I need to stay strong. There is a wellness room here at my office - I think I will take some time and go do some deep breathing and relaxing.

this too shall pass.

Comment

Elvis that was a great list, and then I had in mind to add about 3 more, which Frances covered above!

OkOren, I would dare to say that relapse is RARELY NOT premeditated. The odds of one of us 'accidently' drinking are about as good as us having accidental sex! We are all VERY AWARE of AL. Don't you think?

Hope everyone has a peaceful day! Stay busy, stay full and stay focused! XO, Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Sho, very sorry about your puppy. Don't drink today ok? It will just make you feel worse. Drinking always makes us feel worse! My hubby and I went through a separation a few years ago and when I drank the next day was the absolute worst day ever. I would be even More depressed that usual which was Really Bad!

Elvis, love the list.

I don't have time to post right now. Hope everyone is staying sober!
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by narilly View Post
            Sho, very sorry about your puppy. Don't drink today ok? It will just make you feel worse. Drinking always makes us feel worse! My hubby and I went through a separation a few years ago and when I drank the next day was the absolute worst day ever. I would be even More depressed that usual which was Really Bad!

Elvis, love the list.

I don't have time to post right now. Hope everyone is staying sober!
            Thank you, I appreciate that. I won't be drinking today. When I was out today I didn't go to the liquor store at all. I don't have any desire to drink, any not because of a hangover. I don't have one, there is just no desire. I'm back onto Day 1 and just taking it one day at a time. Losing my dog has hit me hard.

Comment

Hi Sho, I'm so very sorry for your loss. It will feel raw for a few days but then it will get better. Hang in there. I'm thinking about you. Take care.

Comment

Good reading today....
                Sorry about your dog Sho.....hang in there.....
                Another busy paperwork today and then tomorrow will be the ultimate busy one .......Christmas party for our tiny tots and a few extra......it's gonna be mad! All wearing Christmas jumpers with dancing, games, food, sweets and pressies.....then off until next year except for the baby on Tuesday. Wish me luck!
                With all this talk about relapse I realise I am thinking in that direction...few wee thoughts coming in....need to knock that on the head!
                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Well, since Pav isn't here to do the honors, here are a couple BubbleHour podcasts that deal with relapse:

And here is my (and I think maybe Narilly's) all time favorite BH podcast:

Comment

Hi

Sho- so sorry about your lovely friend/ pet.
                    Hugs

The bubble hr - I just started to listen to some of these and I am really enjoying them, thanks for pointing this out.
                    Short post - I got called to work early, so 12 hr shift.
                    But today is DAY 7 for me - ye ha - I am so proud of myself.
                    Let's keep those ugly AL thoughts far away.

Have a great day everyone

Comment

WoooHooo Beach Girly!!! 7 days is HUGE around here! I hope I'm not stepping on Eloise's toes as she will be along to give you the 7 day prize, but I just have to give you an ATTA GIRL!! :yay:
                      GREAT JOB! This endeavor takes CHANGE and you are doing it! It's not always easy but it is always WORTH IT!! Byrdie
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Sho - sorry for your loss. Sending love and hugs.

Elvis - thanks for the list. As Brydie said, taking that first drink is not an accident. An accident is tripping on the curb because you were busy texting. It's not a mistake, either. A mistake is buying whole milk, when you meant to pick up 2%. Every single time I have relapsed, it was my choice. And it took some serious planning. So yes, it always started long before I took that first sip. So glad to see this conversation. Excellent stuff and good reminder to remain vigilant, especially this time of year.

Not much going on in my world. Our girl is rallying. I may actually get a good night's sleep tonight. Stay strong, everyone.
                        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Thx Byrdlady - that is super cool.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sho, believe that everything is going to be OK because it will be OK :hug:
                            Stay on your plan, you will feel better much faster.

BeachGirly, CONGRATS on your 7 AF days :welldone:
                            Keep building on your success - next goal is 2 weeks & then 1 month!!!

MossRose, great news about your friend! Hope all goes well for her!

I'm up & out early again tomorrow morning, I'll check in when I can. Rumor has it that's it's my birthday too (even though I really don't need another one), LOL
                            Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, are you vying for a position on the Prize Patrol? Ehehe! Happy Early Birfday!!! You know us, we'll get the party started early!!! Xxoo, B
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

I had a few fleeting thoughts of AL tonight when my mom talked about their hot choc. and schnapps, and then about how they were going to the liquor store. It was so celebratory. Unfortunately, I cannot drink that way and it would turn into a nightly thing that I regret. So I threw those thoughts away because I don't drink. They can do it how they want - I'm just not a part of that group. So I'll do it sober and continue feeling wonderful about that.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X