No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding tonight tough. Very tempted but if I can stick it out another 15 minutes, then I won't even be able to buy alcohol. Avoided stopping on the way back from xmas shopping. I hate xmas. I wanted to avoid coming back to my little flat and being on my own. Going to make herbal tea. I bought new bed clothes and made up my bed fresh for tonight. I'm ashamed to admit that I hadn't changed my bedding in about two months. I know, it's disgusting. I need to get through this evening, get some sleep. I had forgotten how my sleep would be affected. I'd forgotten a lot since the last time. Ran 5 kms this afternoon. Proud of that.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

You dont need al Moni, have some chocolate. I hate xmas too, no tree up here as yet and my daughter is coming over to find the tree.
      Just take baby steps, one day at a time is all we can do. Oh i would do anything to come back to my house and its empty. I live with two sons and they drive me nuts as i have no "me time" for me. We are all different in what we have and want and only we can change that. Look at the positives as the negatives will take you to where you dont want to be.

I didnt sleep well when i gave up drinking so i napped when i was tired and even now i dont sleep well but 6 hours good sleep is better sober than 6 hours drunk. I also suffered migraine like headache for 5 weeks but even they were better than a hangover.

Think positive Mon, life gets better each day we are sober.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
        You dont need al Moni, have some chocolate. I hate xmas too, no tree up here as yet and my daughter is coming over to find the tree.
        Just take baby steps, one day at a time is all we can do. Oh i would do anything to come back to my house and its empty. I live with two sons and they drive me nuts as i have no "me time" for me. We are all different in what we have and want and only we can change that. Look at the positives as the negatives will take you to where you dont want to be.

I didnt sleep well when i gave up drinking so i napped when i was tired and even now i dont sleep well but 6 hours good sleep is better sober than 6 hours drunk. I also suffered migraine like headache for 5 weeks but even they were better than a hangover.

Think positive Mon, life gets better each day we are sober.
        I know Avail, thanks to having succeeded for so long before. I know also though some times, it's really day by day right down to minute by minute. This evening was one of those... I was down to getting through minutes. I sat here asking myself out loud why I felt I needed alcohol and my answer to myself was because I felt sad, then I argued with myself that if I had some I would feel even sadder and worse tomorrow morning. Now, I can't legally get alcohol tonight so I'm over it, will have some herbal tea and busy myself another way.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Happy Happy Birthday Lav. Wishing everyone a wonderful AF holiday. I have been putting frozen berries in Pellegrino at holiday functions and it is delicious, better than the artificial flavoured water!
          Available, I know exactly what you mean about having difficulty sleeping, I have had a lot of trouble as well, I hate to admit it but when warm baths and sleepytime tea don't work, I take a neocitrin or some nyquil, I can't handle the tossing and turning... Does anyone have any other sleep remedies besides prescriotion drugs?? I know I can't keep up the neocitrin/nyquil routine for any length of time!

Comment

Originally posted by moni View Post
            Ran 5 kms this afternoon. Proud of that.
            Moni, that is awesome!! Working out is my life saviour as well, I think getting fit and healthy is a key component on staying on the AF path! Have you signed up for any runs at all?

Comment

Quick check in from the road. Hope everyone is doing well tonight! Stay strong!! Hugs, B
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by open halo View Post
                Moni, that is awesome!! Working out is my life saviour as well, I think getting fit and healthy is a key component on staying on the AF path! Have you signed up for any runs at all?
                Not yet but will do in the New Year. There's a weekly one near where I live and now I know I can do it, will use it to motivate myself more.

Comment

Happy Birthday Lav! Hope you and the chickens are staying warm and that you enjoyed your day.

In the spirit of Xmas I took the day off to trudge through the mall. Enjoyed the day with my wife despite the crowds and we walked until our feet hurt. Every year we swear we'll be on top of it next year but still end up with the last minute masses. For the first time I believe that I may actually be on top of it next year but time will tell. For anyone feeling alone, down or having the holiday blues, hang in there and focus on you and what feels good. I've developed a hot chocolate habit to compliment my coffee and dark chocolate habits, but indulging in these as opposed to my prior drinking habit is ok by me at this stage.

I know this weekend will be crazy busy for many but go at it safely. Don't let the revelers reel you in for that toast or just one and let's stay above the influence. Rink time, brrrrrrrrr......

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Thanks for the wishes everyone, I did have a nice day
                    Went out to lunch with my husband, daughter & granddaughter after the cemetery visits. Treated everyone to good coffee & cookies after lunch - yum!
                    Now that the birthday is out of the way I can really focus on getting things done for Christmas. I will have everyone over for dinner A& gifts Christmas Eve. It will be crazy but fun with the little ones.

Moni, good for you ignoring AL another day. The headaches & sleep issues will resolve in time, just hang in there.

Ava, I hope Robert is comfortable, sorry to hear his is septic. He's really been thru a lot & you are such a good friend to him :hug:

Byrdie, have a safe trip! We'll keep the nest intact while you're gone.

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest. Hang in there everyone!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

All that sleeplessness in the early days of quitting makes sense in light of the adjustments our brains make to deal with the daily onslaught of a depressant. There is an up-regulation in the activity of neurotransmitters that rev us up to counteract the depressive effects of alcohol. But when you take the alcohol away, it takes time for the excitatory neurotransmitters to reduce and normalize, so sleeping problems are common, as is irritability, agitation, etc. Once I understood it was "normal" and would pass, it was easier to relax about it. Personally, I'd avoid any drugs that further mess with the brain and let time work its magic.

Comment

Lav - happy, happy birthday. Enjoy!!

G - "Luurve" cracks me up. There's a reason for that, and I may share it one day, but just know that I laughed when I read this.

Ava - healing prayers, love and light being sent to Robert. He's been through so much, and you've seen him through it all. Peace and much love to you, my friend.

My oldest son called today and asked if he could spend Christmas Eve with me. I was overwhelmed with happiness. Then I mentioned that I was going to have a casual, open-house kind of thing to my nephews and they both said yes. So tonight, I put up a tree. I wasn't going to, but knowing they were going to be here made a difference. It's not my normal, regular tree - this one is very silly, and kitchy, but fun. I think they will all enjoy it. I've got a bit of holiday spirit going...finally. I thought I would be alone on Christmas Eve again, as I have been for many years. But, it doesn't look like that will true this year. We are all so sad, but it seems like we all need the same thing - family and love.

Stay strong, everyyone.
                        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

I'm not sure why I've been having cravings. But they aren't lasting and I'm getting past the wanting part, right to the end of the night when I'm estatic to be sober and "with it".

I have also noticed that not drinking these past few months seems to have boosted my immune system. I used to think alcohol was an "anesthetic" of sorts - or at least I told myself that. But my family has had several bugs that I have had very mildly or not at all. Bonus!!

Have a good sleep and I wish everyone the luxury to sleep as late as they want tomorrow. That is what I would ask Santa for - an unlimited spree of sleep-ins!
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

I've had a funny feeling lately, sort of a craving that I haven't experienced in months. I'm guessing it was an AL craving, although I'm not too sure.

To be on the safe side, I pulled out my trusty bottle of L-Glut- and once again, in virtually minutes, any craving I was feeling was gone. Folks who have been around here for a while, have, no doubt heard me wax on about the wonders of L-Glutamine as a craving killer, and it still continues to work.

By the way, in response to a few comments made here recently, I love Christmas and the entire season of Advent, but not for the commercialization that's taken place surrounding this wonderful holy time of the year.

Comment

Okoren, L Glut helped me too, good you had some in the cupboard and it worked.

Mossy, good you don't have to be alone at Christmas time. So nice that you have family coming over.
                              Lav, your birthday sounded good.

Ava, sorry aboutRobert, hang in there sweetie.

Well,it is another sober Froday night here and I am in bed. I'm looking forward to a good sleep and waking up tomorrow with no hangover. No hangover! Love that.
                              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Lav, wishing you a very happy birthday! Xoxo
                                AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Working...
                                X