Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Fin!
    I agree with you, Byrdie and Lav along with many others truly are Angels around here. Thank you to all that keep coming back and showing so many others that life without AL can, and is, better.
    Stay safe everyone.
    Love,
    K9
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Some great reinforcement about the benefits and importance of being AF, thanks for a great post Fin, it brings to mind that old adage if we can't remember our mistakes (and learn from them!) , we are most certainly doomed to repeat them. I too cringe when I think what I have done under the influence, not just once but sooooooo very many embarrassing, unethical things. Well I for one am done, when I screw up now I will not have AL to blame for my mistakes... which I did countless times.

So close to Christmas.. Finished the baking and wrapping presents, now getting started on the dinner and cleaning!

Comment

Happy morning! (or afternoon or evening...)
        I woke up refreshed today, and am looking forward to making cookies and seeing a movie with kids. Taking the dog for a walk now and trying to savor the moments as they come. I'm also looking forward to my sparkling cranberry/apple juice tonight. I think it's all about habits. The things we associate with pleasure are what we wire to be pleasureful in our brains - these are the things we come to crave. I do look forward to my "special" drink at night - made with sparkling something, lime and love.

I hope everyone enjoys some rest and time with loved ones today
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi Friends,

I'm sorry to have been MIA lately and I did want to check in. Dealing with some stress that has had me staring at the blinking MWO cursor before deciding not to post. I'm just not feeling wordy lately. This is just typical life stuff. The thing is that I have not had any inclination to drink at all (I guess thing that is relevant to me posting). If we all just hang in there, that inclination will atrophy and not have any "power" like it feels like it does in the early months. Just hang in there, because putting time between yourself and your last drink is THE SOLUTION.

Shoshanna, please accept my belated condolences for your loss. I'm glad you are getting back into the swing.

Hi Moni, I remember you from a while ago! Good to see you again!
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

I have spent years hating Christmas. I could barely stomach the whole season. But this year, something is different. Nothing is going right - my brother and SIL are still in the hospital fighting cancer, and my mom is too sick with pneumonia to celebrate Christmas. So this would be the first year I have real reasons to loathe the season. But I don't feel that way. I feel somehow blessed tonight. My son and nephews will be here soon, and we will do the best we can to have a nice evening together. Tomorrow, I plan to visit my mom, my brother, and my sister-in-law to let them know I love them. I will do these things, out of love and with gratitude, because I am sober and can finally be there for others.

Thank you to everyone here who has helped me along this journey. Merry Christmas Eve/Day to all.
            Last edited by MossRose; December 24, 2014, 04:14 PM.
            Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Hello Nesters,

Today at my sons birthday party someone asked me point blank in front of few 'ol friends : "Why did you stop drinking ?" .

I wanted to ask "Why do you drink ?". and then tell him politely :

"What you are drinking is a known drug, known substance which causes cancer, known depressant, known to cause false sense of happiness, known to destroy your brain cells, cause a havoc on your digestive system, cause stomach ulcers, majorly dehydrates you, gives you bad headaches and hang overs. And from now what I know in detail it plays with the brains reward mechanism and screws it big time. Damages the dopamine receptors. It damages your liver, pancreas, dis balances the blood lipids ..... AND ... its damn hard to kick ...."

I wanted to tell him so much more .... but more importantly tell him. I am living life now ... I am now enjoying the freshness of air, rain droplets as they fall on fresh flowers, or the cold winter as it hit my face when I go for an evening jog (instead of siting at the bar), the music which I can enjoy without a drink, friends to whom I can connect with with an idea of really connecting ....

Knowing what I know ... what I have been to and have experienced it not me who should answer why I dont drink... I VERY well know why I dont ! Do you know why do you ?? ...
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Well said Fin and couldn't agree more with the special people here supporting everyone everyday.

Pine - hope your stress settles and I look forward to your calming words of wisdom here.

And Moss, your spirit is amazing given all that your family and you are going through. I hope they turn the corner soon and feel better.

Everyone, if you celebrate Christmas I hope you have a great day however or wherever you celebrate. No need for nog or anything other than you, family or friends and choices that you can feel really good about when you reflect back on this holiday.

Merry Xmas!

Comment

Very well said Rahul! Even if you had said all that they still wouldn't understand.....only we really appreciate it.
                  Happy Christmas to the man on this site that opens our eyes to the beauty in life that we sometimes skip by......thank you!
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Merry christmas to you all. 9am and quiet as a mouse in my house. Thats the sad thing about grown up children, there is no excitement at 4.30am, there is now hoarders mess to clean up but when they do arrive there will be love and happiness and no drunk mother! I am giving the greatest gift to my family and that is my sobriety.

MR i totally get how you felt about previous christmas's but this one feels different to me also. As much as seeing ones we love so sick, we are healthy and happy in our body and soul. We have fought as hard really, as our sick ones in beating al and we are survivors just like they will be.

I went to visit Robert yesterday and we both walked to have our first coffee in the cafeteria. As i said to him, this is the best xmas present i could have asked for. I also got to drive him home to spend xmas with his family. He is only on day leave but its a miracle. It may be his last xmas but i was determined to help him make it his best.

he also sent me a text last night that i will share with you all.

"Linda you are amazing. Your friendship has helped me through some hard times, some very hard times. What would i have done without you. My memory of you visiting me in ICU for the first time. The relief on your face when you realised i had made it is seared into my brain and i love you for it. Just know that i love you and you will always have a special place in my heart. Even if i need a heart transplant the love i feel will skip across to the new organ. Somehow i have managed to be a part of your family and i treasure that. It gives me hope and comfort. I am so very lucky, so very very lucky."

This is what being sober in my first year has done for someone else's life. I never ever would have been there for Robert if had drunk. It has been stress on wheels sometimes daily for me to watch him battle cancer and i honestly dont think he will be here for the next one but i live in hope and i give him hope.

When i came on MWO I was fighting for my life. What i am giving to Robert I got from here. We all need someone to help us in our time of need nesters. The sober life I am living now is wonderful. I have it all now, everything that i always wanted i have as i am sober. Dont throw that away for anything.

Merry Christmas xxxxx
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Wow Ava,
                      That is very touching! It is so
                      Good what you have been able to
                      Do for Robert, and how much he loves and appreciates it.

You inspire me!!
                      Merry Christmas Chickie!

Comment

ava what a powerful and touching post...thanks for sharing it with us.
                        Merry Christmas.
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

:hug::hug: Ava

Comment

Tearing up after reading your post, Ava. Ditto what Satz said.

Comment

Merry Christmas to all the angels, helpers, newbies, and lurkers. I agree with Ava and MR -- it IS different. Love being sober. Tomorrow will be the first Christmas morning that won't start with a Bloody Mary for me in years, many years. Maybe I'll splurge and use sugar AND cream in the morning cuppa.

Peace and love to all and a heartfelt thank you to Brydie, Pav, Lav, Ava for your unwavering support and strength.
                              Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Very beautiful story about Robert, Ava.
                                What a wonderful Christmas it is! Very happy to be sober and enjoying the Holiday!
                                Kicked AL to the curb November 9, 2014!

Comment

Working...
                                X