Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Fennel,

What a great idea, i know many people at my chruch, but I would usually rush home to get a drink in the past . What a concept go for coffee with a few women.
    I have to say that I 've tried other on line support groups but I always lurk never felt like posting. I may be on to something here.

Thank you all for your support!:thanks:

IG
    sigpicIsland Girlie

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Islandgirlie - you have the idea now - keep coming here to MWO! We will support you & move you forward along with us

Violet & fennel, filling in our old drinking time with healthier pursuits is not that difficult once you get in the habit, right!!!

Katie, enjoy your trip to the Aquarium - sounds like fun day for you & your son for your birthday!
      You need to remain healthy & focused for your court case, please be careful with the Valium. You won't drink while taking it, right? Set aside some time, use the Clearing CD, meditate, pray, PM me.....OK?
      I also want to thank you for thinking of me today

I'm going to put my feet up for a bit then call it a day - the night light will be on for the late arrivals.
      Wishing everyone a good night!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Absolutely, lav -- it is easier once you start feeling better and establish routines that work to reinforce that. Keeping yourself out of tempting situations early on works as well, as I of course proved, the wrong way.

Anyways -- Just wanted to wish you an incredibly wonderful day celebrating your one year anniversary, Lav! I may not make it to the party as I am working 9:30a - 10p and then am on call 11p-7a. I will try and pop my head in after I get the girls off before I leave but I don't often have time! So have a cup of tea for me! (I am suddenly really enjoying tea these days...good thing as I have tons of it from my Welsh MIL!!! LOL)

NoraC -- You are not strange at all! LOL I was trying to do the same thing at one point but was not very successful with just cupping saline. I like the pot 'cause I can practically hang my head upside down! LOL -- I think I am the weirdo!!!! :H:H:H

Islandgirl -- welcome! Hope you had a good evening at Church and found something to do after. Keep coming here -- it really does help. And post. Even when you really feel so not a part of anything, post. People reach out. And you need people and support to get through this right now. You cannot do it alone. Hang in there!

Cheers to everyone else! Hope you are all well. Wishing you peace and love.

Violet

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone.

First order of business - I nominate Lav for President!!!

Hmmm, NoraC, let's see Egypt/Grad School? I might still pick Egypt! Just kidding - that is a tough spot. Hope they can work something out for her.

Hippy - a best friend as a spouse? What a concept! There's nothing like a great relationship. I'm not trying too hard either at this point. I've realized that I've spent my entire life in some sort of relationship; and a wise person convinced me to take it slow this time.

I don't remember me either - I started at 16 too. Switched to beer when I quit drugs 'cause it was safer. Hmmm.

Nice Spam. "Not an option" is a great thought to focus on.

Fennel - it sounds funny but congrats on sleeping through the night. I think you're past one of the toughest parts!

Good for you Byrdlady. It's great that you can see the light held in those 9 days. It's also great that you have a supportive husband. Keep thanking him for busting you!

Yes Excuses you can do this. I thought I was out of options, and just about resigned to a life with al - until I found this site - then my life and my world changed. The book, the supps, the cds, the support has worked for a lot of people. Glad you're here.

TMB - welcome. I don't know about Naltrexone either. I would recommend checking or asking in the forum called "Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds" which can be found on the Introduction and General Discussion page. Do keep coming back here though - we're glad to have you!

Meech - way to go. I don't know if the urges will ever go away. But they do get further apart and easier to deal with.

IslandGirlie - great idea to plan around the weak spot on Friday night. The weekends are a problem in the beginning. Once you get past a few af you'll start to realize how much time you missed out recovering from hangovers, etc... Just think of weekends as regular days without work. I think you'll be fine. Way to go on day four!

KB - have fun with your son and have a Happy Birthday dear. Hope Mr. Right works out for you too. I second Lav's advice - careful with the valiums please.

Take care everyone!
          tw
          Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone! Miss a day or two and it takes an hour to review all the posts!

Everyone sounds pretty good, so I am very glad. I am soooooo happy I found this Nest--tomorrow I will be a week AF (not as impressive as Lav, but I only have 51 to go to catch up with her!).

No visits from The Demon, no temptation or desire to drink. I even went out to eat with my heavy-drinking dad tonight and watched him down a couple of pints of Guinness. Nothing stirred in me as far as wishing I could join him--nothing at all. I just love my life so much now that I can't go back. This is how I want my life to be. Period.

Thanks to all for being here for me! I feel the LOVE!

:earth:
            :crazymonkey: RivEd

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All!

Just a quick one before I head off to work! Everyone sounds good.

Big Congrats Lav on 1 yr..you are awesome:goodjob::h

I am day 4 today! Hubby is away for the weekend and I feel like I can 'breathe'...the wee chicks and I will break almost every domestic 'rule' and have some fun and RELAX for two days!!!

Suprisingly feeling stronger this time...just taking note of the cravings, acknowledging them and then waiting for them to pass. So far am getting about two a day usually around 3:30pm and then about 5 pm.......am determined not to cave-in just because I have some time to myself and the rules are relaxed for a few days!

Have told myself that for the initial period,if it is a strong craving then I can treat myself with choccy or something (not ideal I know,but better than AL-plus I don't binge on it)!

So far this seems to help, having other forms of carb! Interestingly I've noticed that at about 9:30pm (if I'm not in bed already ) that I actuallt experience hunger pangs! Which is suprising because it suggests that i am actually feeling true hunger and not feeling full from the AL! But also interesting to note is that, when I do drink it is at about this time that I usually get the munchies and chow down on junkfood! So it is nice to actually feel normal sensations,so to speak! Anyone else experience stuff like this?

A am barracking for everyone and myself included,yay-team!!!!
              Chook *cluck*:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

:groupluv:HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LAV:groupluv:
                :wave::wave::wave::wave:

Thank you so much for all the support that you have shown all of us. It means so much. You have proved to us that it can be done. You are a wonderful, caring person. Thank you for being here.
                "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone......I must be tired......I started a post and I lost it.

I was reading the posts and had some comments but of course I've forgotten them by now. :H How about you Runningwind? Are you anymore awake than I am? I am going to try to get some sleep. Good thing that tomorrow is Friday.

I hope that everyone is doing well!

We can do this - we really can!!!! :h
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Katie

:day4::bday7:HAPPY BIRTHDAY:day4::bday7:

Have a wonderful birthday!!! Enjoy the aquarium.
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Fellow Nesters

Good to see the nest so busy. I will enjoy getting to know all newbies.

I spent a long time this morning doing a great post to everybody then the internet connection decided to have a hissy fit and has only now just begun behaving again. So sorry guys, I now don't have much time to say all that again. Just know I am thinking of all those having struggles and send you my strongest encouragement. You are so worth the fight!

I am looking forward to one month af this weekend. Only got this far twice before so onward and upward. I feel really good physically and emotionally and am happy and positive - I won't be trading that for sick, hungover, depressed, tired, empty bottles to hide, bags under my eyes etc. etc.

Molly, if you go to the top of the page while you are drafting a post you can click on Newbies Nest and then you can read back pages to your hearts content. When you are ready just go to the back arrow until you are returned to the draft. This has worked for me although apparently I do most things the hard way!!!

Anyway, must go now and do some 'stuff'. Hope you all enjoy your Friday.
                      Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello-im new here and despite being AF for several months i still am struggling..
                        Ive been reading for some time now and gain alot of strength from the support shown on this site and decided it was time to join .

Comment

Newbies Nest

A big hello and :welcome: Not Quite a Swan

It seems I was like you too. Lurkers we are called. Just looking and reading and gaining great insights but never posting.

I didn't start posting until Jan this year. I was lurking for most of the previous year!!! Even after I joined I still didnt post for many months. Posting has made all the difference for me and I hope it will for you too. Just getting ourselves out there even though at the beginning it seems a bit scary. There are so many helpful people on this site who are willing to share of themselves and who have been where you (we) are and have been. Just stay here and keep reading and posting so we can get to know you.

Congats on the af time you already have. That is so good. You are so good to get this far. Maybe it is time for encouragement and conviction. I'm sending you my strongest of each.

I think drinking the way we do (have done) is just a complete soul destroyer. Of the last 6months I have had 4 of those al free. I just want to continue that and never go back to where I was.

I wish you well in your journey and hopefully you will find this site as welcoming and helpful as I have. At this time of night a lot of the people who regularly post on this thread are in bed asleep being on the other side of the world so don't be too disappointed if you don't get much response just yet. Check back tomorrow.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thankyou Mazzie for replying-i was all set to delete my entry,being the shy person iam :thanks:
                            It has been a hard journey so far but like you i never want to go back to drinking,at my worst i was on nearly 200 units a week(mainly vodka)
                            just hitting abit of a rocky patch-you know the lack of confidence,low self esteem etc etc and wondering if all this pain is ever going to end
                            sorry for sounding so fed up,i know that getting to day 90 is a real achievment

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow Swan

In my original reply to you I mentioned how I was struggling with low self esteem and how I always seemed to let people walk over me and how hard it is to actually say and do what I really feel and want, but I deleted it. I think I have numbed myself with al for so many years that now with becoming al free I am seeing things clearer and feel the need for some personal growth.

Just changing what is in my glass is just the first step it seems although it is a huge first step.

Sometimes I find myself very angry mostly with myself for things that I just let happen to me and sometimes I think I must just be pathetic.

I am looking forward to becoming the confident self-assured adult that I know I can be!! It will just take a lot of work.

Comment

Newbies Nest

showing my ignorance here,but units equals what in mils?
                                Chook

Comment

Working...
                                X