No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone. Hope you are all having a good night. No I have nowhere I can go stay for awhile, but he says his day one again is tomorrow...I really hope so. Was having some pretty bad cravings tonight but trying to keep my mind off it. I hope I dont have to wait too long for my mental health appointment. Going to AA tomorrow morning.

Comment

Hey Actiongirl. I am just ahead of you...just grab on to the waist of my pants!!!
      Well...day 10 and another success! I went to my book club meeting, after having a good meal. It was small this time, only 7 people, and interestingly only 3 had any wine at all, and each had a single glass ( what is WRONG with them lol). I remembered to bring my own drink, a bubbly drink called ICE - delish by the way, and guess what? I WAS FINE! Whoo hoo!
      Best yet, the woman who hosted it this time decided to do a valentines raffle....and I WON!!! A lovely bag with fresh flowers and chocolate! I never win anything! It truly felt like carma. While I won't eat the chocolate, my husband will love it, and the flowers are pretty. Even better, the new neighbor I invited to come along, who I am becoming friendly with, is one of the people who chose not to drink. She is a social worker, and coincidentally her husband graduated from my home town, so we seem to have a lot in common.

Good day :heartbeat:

Night all. On to day 11 holy cow

Beth

Comment

Hi Beth, makes me happy to hear you smiling Keep it up and remember that while every day won't be chocolate and roses, more and more of them are in store for you!

GOSH I struggled to do work today. I better get it together tomorrow - though now my little one is sick so I feel like Mercury is still retrograding! Anyway - nice day though. Just feel behind - something I seem to create for myself for some reason.

Have a good night and sleep tight!
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Oh Beth - that is so wonderful.

Just to see the change in your posts in the last 10 days is amazing. You are sounding so strong and determined. Way to go,
          Congrats on the prize - you deserve it. (no one else needs to know what the prize was really for )

BG

Comment

Well you never know what is around the corner.
            Today I was contacted by an insurance company who I have had an income protection claim with for about 6 months now,after all this time they have decided that I meet the requirements for an ongoing payout with backpay.It looks like my financial worries are over.Whilst in recovery I developed very sore feet and it turns out that I have Plantar Fasciitis,this is also another reason that I have not been able to work lately.I was encouraged by the podiatrist at the time to put in a claim,since then I have gone to various doctors and eventually to an orthopaedic surgeon.His report must have been what has made the insurance company decide to pay.
            In the words of I think it is Joe from Joe and Charlie,"is that odd or is that God?"
            I can now pay the banks that I have been keeping at bay for the last year and have an ongoing income until my condition is deemed cured.I took the policy out when I was doing quite well financially and made it an agreed policy so even though I haven't worked much in the last year and a half they have to pay me according to my tax statement in 2012.
            The last couple of years have been really hard and as I have said before my family has been well and truly financially destroyed,in turn causing me to question my own recovery.
            Anywho I just wanted to share this great news with you all as my last few posts have been heavily influenced by my financial situation.I even said that other than the money thing I am quite at ease with the world,I guess I am just quite at ease with the world now.
            Cheers for all your kind words once again
            Stevo.
            P.S.My kids are going to Dreamworld next week haha.They have been asking for ages.
            (for the guys overseas Dreamworld is like Australia's Disneyland for lack of a better comparison).
            Last edited by Stevo; February 12, 2015, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Hi, Nest:

I just had another trigger event - an outdoor party after work. Of course everyone was drinking beer - a beer in the afternoon after a hard day at work was one of my favorite things. But after my experience this weekend, I had the fresh memory of fun Pavati who doesn't "need" a drink. After a brief moment of annoyance when I realized that other than beer and wine they only bought Diet Cokes and teeny plastic bottles of water (purchased by a known alcoholic who continues to fall off the wagon from time to time), I just had fun. It is my superpower!

Hanna - WAY TO GO. I agree with Beachy - you sound so great right now. Whoot.

Welcome, ActionGirl. Listen to Hanna and hang on! It is great to have a quit buddy, and Hanna is heading good, sober places.

HBE - I hope you can put your oxygen mask on first, and then think about your boyfriend. If being around him is going to lead you to drink, do what you need to steer clear. When you're out of this anxiety and stuff that you're feeling, you'll be better able to think about what to do next with him.

Good night everyone.

Pav

Comment

Thanks all! I spent hours in airports today, usually a big trigger, but I did it, home safe and sound and AF. Whew. Need to read the toolbox again and plan for Day 2 Thursday. I wish I could just fast forward from 5pm to 9pm. Need to reprogram my brain.

Comment

Pav, I'm going to use this quote from your last speech in the toolbox as my mantra for awhile. "Accept what it is, take the choice off the table, and take it one day at a time." These are the three things I need to work on right now, today.

Comment

Past that honeymoon period. That point when you realise that AL is an easy way out to deal with, ultimately what boils down to, your emotions.

Gotta stay aware and do something differently this time around. The difference being I am exercising regularly and getting a good sleep routime. Thats a start.

But I feel so moody this time around. I think every big relapse makes recovery that little bit harder, and AL becomes that bit more enticing.

So, staying aware and looking for that little bit of growth every day. No world records. Just little bits each day.

Comment

Just popping in to say Welcome to ActionGirl - boy Ava really did sum it up very nicely with that quote, didn't she?

Also a big congratulations to Stevo. I've been following your posts and I am very happy for you. My brother in law had a similar thing happen not too long ago here in the states where he had been clean and sober but struggling with medical issues and unable to work and one day he got a large sum of money and assurance of regular monthly payments from insurance. Money isn't everything but when you don't have enough to meet basic needs it is surely a big deal not to have a source of income!

I'm doing well - have been invited to a work related happy hour that I think I will attend for the networking - I just need to get a plan in place before going - It does get easier and easier; I don't expect a problem but I will be ready just in case!

Comment

sometimes I think I am just fooling myself and everyone around me with my proclamation that I don't want to drink anymore. I mean, after years of drinking every day I really don't know the true me. Does anyone else ever think like that? Am I just brainwashing myself? If I am, I welcome it……but do I really?
                        confused this morning…..but definitely fully committed to NOT drinking today….that much I know is true. poison poison poison
                        jenniech
                        12/28/14
                        serenity

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

Jennie, if you truly want to live an AF life then you need to stop those thoughts. Don't let them take up so much mind space. The real question is what is making you think you want to drink? Make a list of pros & cons? Was your life better when you were drinking? Probably not! Wake up every day with intention to remain committed to your AF life!

Stevo, that's wonderful news, good for you!
                          I hope this windfall takes care of your stress & worries

Hanna, congrats on your 10 AF days, yay!

HBE, I hope your boyfriend keeps his promise to quit but if he doesn't it's his problem ~ not yours, right? Keep your focus on yourself & practice good self-care :hug:

Hi frances, nice to see you. Greetings to everyone & sending wishes for a great AF Thursday for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by Londoner View Post
                            Past that honeymoon period. That point when you realise that AL is an easy way out to deal with, ultimately what boils down to, your emotions.

Gotta stay aware and do something differently this time around. The difference being I am exercising regularly and getting a good sleep routime. Thats a start.

But I feel so moody this time around. I think every big relapse makes recovery that little bit harder, and AL becomes that bit more enticing.

So, staying aware and looking for that little bit of growth every day. No world records. Just little bits each day.
                            Congrats on 13, Londoner!!

Hang in there....very early sobriety is said to be an emotional roller coaster! Stay strong and know that it will get easier....
                            Don't open any cracks for that sneaky AV to slither into.....

I have had great luck with amino acids for mood support...Have you read the MWO book, or Mood cure?
                            Kicked AL to the curb November 9, 2014!

Comment

Quick check in.
                              ActionGirl, I spent a good bit of time in airports last week...I must say that the cost of drinking has sure gone up in the last 4 years! Yikes...a good drunk would go broke with the prices they charge! $8 for a beer or wine on the plane! I'm so glad I don't have to deal with THAT! Great job on getting past it all! The only way out is through!!! Keep going!
                              Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by enzo'smom View Post
                                sometimes I think I am just fooling myself and everyone around me with my proclamation that I don't want to drink anymore. I mean, after years of drinking every day I really don't know the true me. Does anyone else ever think like that? Am I just brainwashing myself? If I am, I welcome it……but do I really?
                                confused this morning…..but definitely fully committed to NOT drinking today….that much I know is true. poison poison poison
                                Enzo
                                I am a firm believer that everyone knows deep down inside what it is you want (whether it is not drinking, learning to dance, play cards, play an instrument, etc.) It is the desire to drink that makes a person question themselves. Certainly everyone questions themselves at one time or another but knowing that you really want to stop drinking helps makes the resolve stronger. It has and always will be a matter of choice of which voice a person listens to. Trust your gut feeling that you know how much better off you are sober. You're not brainwashing yourself, you're finally waking up!!! And good for you!!!
                                Sam
                                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Working...
                                X