No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fin-you don't have ANY idea what an inspiration you have been to me the last few months. When I originally came here you were on then off and on and off again, like me. When I came back this last time, I've been so pleased to see your days add up. Keep it up Bro! Think how PROUD of you your wife will be. :heartbeat:
    The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Originally posted by Samstone View Post
      Fin
      it's time to play that mando relentlessly now!!! When my wife is away the fiddle case stays open. Enjoy your music!
      YES! I love it. I'm actually working on two 45 min sets that's a total of 25 songs. I've never had to learn so many, so yeah...time to woodshed, bro!
      Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
      Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Originally posted by Overit-still View Post
        Fin-you don't have ANY idea what an inspiration you have been to me the last few months. When I originally came here you were on then off and on and off again, like me. When I came back this last time, I've been so pleased to see your days add up. Keep it up Bro! Think how PROUD of you your wife will be. :heartbeat:
        Me? Inspired you?! I'm humbled. Thanks SO much for the kind words. Without these notes I would surely be back in the hell hole again...that's what's different this time. I came here instead of going over to the beer store. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Fin View Post
          I will jump in with this as well:

1) Yes I'm in too!

2) Your quit date and what day you're on - I drank ALL day on Sunday so I guess that makes Monday, 6/18 my first day and today is Thursday so that's 3 nights of AF too! I like to think that quitting the day after father's day is symbolic -- really a gift to my kids and wife.

3) Your main motivation -

I'm tired of what was once casual now having become a routine with the daily regret of the previous night's choice to over indulge on IPAs. I've been feeling a bit out of control with it. I'm very disciplined in other areas of my life (work, fitness, music, parenting, etc, etc) so it just doesn't fit with how I envision myself. I've been lucky so far as not to get into trouble. I'm a mellow dude, but it was only a matter of time before the DUI, or worse hit the fan.

4) In brief, where you're at in your quitting drinking cycle. First attempt? Been trying awhile? Had long periods before etc?

I've been drinking since I was about 13. My older bro's would buy it for us little guys back in the 70's. I have tried to quit drinking over the years, sure...but not for very long. I've always been a very-very social person and alcohol has always been a part of that life -- especially in college but as another poster pointed out, it was in the name of partying and so was okay. I don't want that for my kids...

It's really been the last 8 years (started with a very-very stressful house remodel) that it has become daily and over the last couple of years (after quitting a 27 year chewing tobacco habit) the number of IPA's each night have been going up and up to the point of alarming...a whole 6 pack over 5-6 hours! Ouch and expensive as ~12 bucks per 6 pack...I liked the good stuff.

Anyway, the last few months I've tried to take it back down to a reasonable level, but haven't been able to do it which really freaked me out. I mean, that's an alcoholic! So, I guess that's what I have become and it's time to man up and deal with it.

Like the previous poster, my goal is very similar (sub IPA for wine). My goal then is "to reign in my habit and change my daily ritual so that it does not involve drinking. However, I do occasionally want to enjoy a glass of wine or champagne or even sip some expensive ass scotch. It's definitely going to be a process though..."

Amen.
          Fin,
          I went back and grabbed your second post here in the nest....maybe this will help you see how far you've come, AND how much you have to lose by going back.
          Push those thoughts out! Tell them, NO, HELL NO! AL will not take one more day of my life!!
          Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
            Fin,
            I went back and grabbed your second post here in the nest....maybe this will help you see how far you've come, AND how much you have to lose by going back.
            Push those thoughts out! Tell them, NO, HELL NO! AL will not take one more day of my life!!
            Byrdie
            That brought tears to my eyes, Byrd...you're such an angel. Those words will carry me again. Thanks for exhuming them...you're just incredibly thoughtful...

Comment

Fin it is your choice to drink and no one elses. If it makes you happy then drink but we all know that al to an alcoholic makes us happy for 2.5 seconds and then the GSR's kick in and we so regret a simple decision that has taken us back to the pit we are so trying to get out of. No amount of al to me is worth going back to where i was 15 months ago. It gets easier and i know that means nothing to people in the early stages but its so true but it is hard when you think this will never end. Dont walk away from your support network, log on here daily and take the help that is offered. Its gotten me to where i am and it can get you there too.
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hey Fin, One more non-drinker, means one more light shining the way for all of us. Shine on, friend!

Pie

Comment

I'm heading off to the market to get stuff for chili cheese dogs for dinner. AND pick up a movie so I can sit in my dark house in front of the fire, under a blanket and eat bad (yummy) food and fall asleep on the couch, with my favorite man and best friend in the whole world and my dog. A PERFECT evening in my book.

FIN! What are your plans tonight?

Comment

Hello Nest! It's been a while since i've been here but I'm proud to say i'm 3 months AF and smoke free.

My longest stent yet started with horrible cold where the cough lasted 4 weeks. Then I rode an incredible sober high. I got another virus last week and ended up with a sinus infection. I've lost 5 pounds and started exercising and feeling incredible! my house is clean, i'm excelling at work, everything seems to be falling into place. Then tonight, out of the blue, i am feeling incredible sad. I had to cut myself off from my friends because NONE of them want to consider a sober day let alone a sober life. I feel very lonely. My only friends now appear to be my co-workers and my daughters and grandchildren. I know that should be enough but I really miss a peer to talk to. I'm considering joining AA though i've never really cared of it. Also not sure if i want a fellow addict friend that may fall of the wagon and take me with her/him.

Can anyone relate? What did you do to move on with your life? I don't want to go back to the old life just because i'm lonely, but I need to find something more.

Thanks for reading. If nothing else, i've gotten this off my chest.

PS - Thank you Cowboy for thinking of me and encouraging me to come back.
                    AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

Hi Mstall, congrats on 3 months, that is HUGE!

I don't know where you live but I know in many places there are clubs for different interests. Hiking, running, back packing, bird watching, etc. What is it you might be interested in? I don't know if you belong to a church but sometimes they will also have different interest groups to get involved in. I know it can be hard if you are shy but just putting your foot out there is a great start.

I understand your apprehension with an AA partner. I personally would like a group that has nothing to do with recovery so I can be the me I WANT TO BE and see what that person is like doing something outside of the drinking/recovery world.

I live somewhere where there is nothing of the kind but I have a pretty incredible sober life if I just choose to live it.

Glad to hear from you tonight. Stick close to the nest.

Everyone else....It's been one heck of a week. I will surely check in over the weekend and I'll be sober doing it because, I just don't drink anymore (well, at least for the next 200 years )

Comment

Hi guys.......am sticking really close and reading and hearing so much hope and determination that I just had to add my news.........I MADE A DAY 1!!!!! OK, not 1500 but to me at the moment it feels like it! The AL voice was sooo loud last evening but I just continued working and somehow, after a million attempts, got this massive milestone done. It would not have been possible without all 'Newbies' out there. I know this fight will continue each day, but as the body and mind recover I am hoping the AL voice will quiet down more.
                        To all Seniors and struggling Newbies, like me, keep posting! I need your voices to be louder than AL's!!
                        ADP

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Wow, so many have checked in today - I can't keep up!

Mstall, good to see you & congrats on your 3 months quits
                          I wouldn't miss the old friends too much if booze is their main focus. I actually enjoy the company of my daughter & DIL & 3 grandkids. None of them put AL between our friendships.

HBE, I am sorry you chose to drink on Wednesday. I was wondering about you yesterday, didn't see you here.
                          I hope you were able to see someone today & make a plan. I wish you only the best!

Fin, glad you rode out those thoughts. Thoughts can be ignored or redirected!

Wishing everyone a safe & peaceful night in the nest!

Edited to say congrats on your day 1 ADP!!!!
                          Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Congrats on making it through day 1, ADP! That is wonderful! It gets easier and better with every day!:goodjob:
                            Kicked AL to the curb November 9, 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by ADP View Post
                              I know this fight will continue each day, but as the body and mind recover I am hoping the AL voice will quiet down more.
                              Hi, ADP
                              Once you're ready to take the option of drinking out of the picture entirely, what seems like a battle becomes more like a difficult challenge. Instead of "fighting against", you'll be "working towards".

The voice does quiet down bit by bit and in fact, eventually becomes silent. I can't remember the last time I heard it. I stick around here so I'm sure to recognize it if it ever dares to pipe up again!
                              I need your voices to be louder than AL's!!
                              ADP
                              I love this image of how the Nest works :smile:

Comment

ADP, great job on your wonderful and strong start! We are right beside you! :welldone:
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X