X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.S. I totally did the coffee cup thing too
    :new:

Comment

Another member of the coffee cup club here I would try and make it look authentic by adding a stirrer or a string off of a tea bag hanging off the side,dam alkies are crafty little devils
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post
        .... I actually sent email to the American Broadcasting Corp. last week - something I've never done. I happened to have my TV on one morning & was freaked out hearing the host of a morning show mention that she got a huge buzz on drinking a half a glass of wine after a workout the day before & highly recommended it to the audience. It was 9:15 in the morning!!!!! I found that message offensive & just plain stupid Who knows how many hung over people heard that & thought what the hell? Why not?? AL messages are everywhere, all day long!
        Lav

Bravo, for laying some LAVan-itude on ABC! Maybe we should send NBC a special delivery of some Stella-tude for their boozy 4th hour of the TODAY show featuring Kathy Griffith and Hoda Kotbe. They've become known for slugging down wine every darn day in the morning and have become the butt of many jokes for their buzzy delivery. Once you step back from the booze, it really is amazing just how much alcohol has saturated our culture. So glad to be free of that sh*tty drug.
        Sober for the Revolution!
        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Hello from cape Cod! Had a great day! Visited a cranberry bog, Plymouth Rock, and the Mayflower! Tomorrow is Martha's Vineyard. We are traveling with 2 church groups, oddly enough. We stopped at a grocery/ liquor store before we got to the hotel. The folks came iut with BAGS full of booze! I was very surprised ( and IM an ALKIE!). How THANKFUL I was that I wasnt one of them stocking up and being anxious about running out.
          Having a great time and I am so happy to be sober!!! hugs to all!! Xoxox, Byrdie
          Edit to add: Lost and Found, congrats on 30 days!!! Here's your hat!! :guy: So proud of you!!!
          Last edited by Byrdlady; June 1, 2015, 06:56 PM.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I survived the little boy storm today but now we're getting real storms - the rain, wind, lightning & thunder type, LOL

Glad you are enjoying a booze-free vacation Byrdie!
            We took our kids to Cape Cod one summer, very nice up there.

Turn, just so you know - ABC responded to my email with the standard 'we can't read & answer every email we get'. So how do you get the programming geniuses to understand their shows suck??Just glad I don't watch that crap on purpose.

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Byrdie, I want to take that trip.

Crocketta - good on you getting to the gym. Exercise has been my savior in this whole sober business. I get a good buzz without the half a glass of wine, thank you very much.

Lavan-itude combined with The Stella - ABC watch out...

My shocker is the little league baseball field complex with the bar in the middle of it. So on a Saturday at noon, little kids playing baseball and walking around while their parents are sucking back beers. SO gross. Also gross that I would have been among them, no doubt, a mere 18 months ago...

Off to bed. Long hard day. Believe it or not, I actually wanted healthy food for comfort. Not ice cream (as usual) and not booze. I am very grateful for that.

Pav

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

Sure is soggy around here, more rain due later too!

Pav, little league & beer, what a message to send our kids, huh? Th at's a real shame!
                Kids certainly learn by example so maintaining your AF'ness is vital for everyone

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday!
                No kid watching on my plan today, just some exercise & a bit of work, yay.

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning, Nest!

Lav, glad you have a chance to recharge your kid batteries. And, as for ABC, well sheesh -- that's one of the many reasons why I don't watch them on purpose anymore, either. Enjoy your respite. If you run out of chores, I have plenty of them, here.

Byrdie, your trip sounds heavenly. Cape Cod is so beautiful.

Pav, I can't take credit for your packing list, but glad you had fun. As for the baseball field bar...sigh. What a great message for the kids -- not.

Hanna, congrats on blowing through the milestones! How are you doing today?

Speaking of today, I'm heading over to Roll Call to log a little milestone of my own.
                  "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Hi All. I think this article is helpful to understand the importance of the "one day at at time" philosophy...

10 Things People With Extraordinary Willpower Do Differently:

Go as far as you can see.
                    When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Good Tuesday afternoon Nest! Well all that rain made its way East & now we are saturated! But nothing like what they had in Texas. More of a cold, misty gloaming. My flower garden perked up but the TICKS have emerged--have picked several off of my 2 pooches in the last couple days. Yuck!

Lav glad you enjoyed your day with your grandsons. And that you spoke up about that "buzz" comment on the morning show. I remember feeling the same way when my sports-obsessed son (now 22 but 10 at the time) was watching football & baseball games with his dad on the weekends. Those shows are LOADED with alcohol and sex oriented ads!

Sometimes I wonder if de-regulation of the FCC was such a great thing after all. You could get your adult shows on cable but at least you knew the networks would be family-friendly.

haha I am showing my age! Have a healthy evening everyone! Bring on the sun. ☀️
                      :new:

Comment

Originally posted by mywayin View Post
                        Hi All. I think this article is helpful to understand the importance of the "one day at at time" philosophy...

10 Things People With Extraordinary Willpower Do Differently:

http://www.willpowered.co/learn/peop...ry%20Willpower
                        Thanks mywayin. What a great article! I bookmarked it and will read it again and as often as necessary to effect some change in myself. I especially liked the part on living mindfully. While I was reading~ it started me thinking of an article I came across and forgot about. One on procrastination that really seems to be put together to help understand and deal with this powerful foe. Probably I was trying to change too much at once and gave up. I'v actually procrastinated about being aware enough to know that dealing with this serious problem for me was a necessary step that I have been avoiding forever. AL was my companion and helped me avoid all change. Right now I am in the throes of a fairly bad case of the blues and don't know which way to go or what to do. Now I have a starting point and believe it will help me with motivation to get things done which I am hoping will lift my spirits. I mean right now I procrastinate getting out of bed, so that will be my starting point ~ setting a regular time to get up daily~ may sound silly but I have to start somewhere! So thanks again & here's the link on procrastination http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/reso...cfm?Info_ID=50 if anyone has the audacity. ~

Comment

Checking in. Record cold in this area and raining. Hope it clears by tomorrow. Having a wonderful time! So thankful to be sober. Xo. B
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hey guys - how's everyone getting on?

I've just completed a bit of an eye opening experiment. I downloaded an alcohol calculator app. It allows you to enter various quanitities and strength of AL drinks, the time you started and finished those drinks.

The data I entered was a standard drinking pattern. 1 pint on the hour every hour for say, 5 hours. Allowing 30 mins for each pint.

Now, what I learned is that my blood alcohol content would be at a level after 4 or 5 hours (180mg/100ml) that would see me doing things out of character. And that's 'only' 5 pints. I can see now, why, for the last 10 years I have been ending up in places that I wouldn't normally be, partying all night and feeling like hell for a week after. These nights would have much more than 'just' 5 pints.

The other thing I have noticed, is a simple switch from a 5% to a 4% beer would see my BAC drop by 30%. 1% on a beer looks like nothing, but it could have a BIG change on my mood, actions and BAC.

Eye opening to say the least. I live in a city, within a country where excessive Al intake is the norm. And it has been the norm. A mind like mind, that is easily influenced, and uses AL as a crutch rather than an added enjoyment can be messed up. All those Uni nights out, pub crawls with friends over the last decade. Where chugging beers, shots etc and acting like an idiot was the norm. The levels of BAC would be frightening.

I know this app isn't 100% accurate but it helps paint a picture. I will be drinking this weekend. I'm okay with my actions on that. But what I will doing is carrying out a more practical test. I will see how my mind, mood, actions etc alter as the BAC goes up on the app. I will see where I am okay at, giving myself plenty of time between drinks and see if I can keep myself from falling into self destructive patterns.

Comment

Morning nesters from cold Aus

Lav, that is so annoying, they put it in the news that the world has a drinking problem and then crap on about drinking at 9.15am. I was never a morning drinker thank god but hey i was always open to new ideas with my drinking. Like Pauly i never thought to hang a tea bag dooby outside my cup. I had a chuckle about that as such a brilliant idea for an alky to do.

Pav when my kids were little and played soccer they sold meat pies and beer at 7am games. my hubs was among those drinking, i must have had some form of responsibility then, actually when i think back i wasnt a huge drinker then, probably more a binge drinker. I had no time with 4 kids.

London i think everywhere has a high excess of al intake, i know Australia loves nothing better than drinking and drinking some more, its the norm here and us alkies hide away or pretend we have control. I lost that many years ago. Put plain and simply i am an alcoholic and i cannot drink, i cannot experiment with al ever again and i found once i accepted that and realised i could never drink again then my life became a lot easier. I have the badge for making excuses to moderate and read every article in the hope i could and trying and failing. I know everyone is different so best of luck with your experiment.

Byrd i am glad you are having a nice time, rain, hail or shine. It will be over before you know it.

I had a PT session at the gym at work yesterday and well i am wondering which bus hit me this morning. No pain no gain apparently.

Have a great day everyone.
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava, Recently heard a tv show character exclaim, "I'm not an alcoholic. I'm Australian!"

Comment

Working...
                                X