Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!

What a stark realisation today!

When the AL isn't there, I have realised that I have lost so many friendships because of AL. Without AL I don't wanna hang round with those who I just drink with. And I have pushed away true friends in favour of the short term crutch that is AL.

Feeling lonely and isolated. Texting people and everyone is busy doing other things.

I take ownership of this, but wow. I can see how it is so easy to fall into full blown alcoholism - daily drinking - to escape an empty reality.

It's a case of building from ground zero, or falling into despair. And I'm starting to realise that people only really know me for being drunk and stupid on nights out.

I want something deeper and more meaningful - and that only comes through work, pain, and putting your emotions on the line (something that I've never done)

Time to get real.

PS Anyone on chat?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyMe View Post

Today I decided enough. I want my independence from this damn drug. I'm broke because of it. I'm sick because of it and I'm exceedingly tired of lying. So after reading posts for the last three hours I thought this would be a great place to begin telling the truth. I have so much more to offer than being the town drunk.
      Hiya Lucky me. Welcome back and good to see you here. Have you read our toolbox? Great reading which I reckon you will find very useful. Here's the link. https://www.mywayout.org/community/sh...24253-Tool-box

Originally posted by available View Post

At the end of my drinking career i wasnt a pretty sight, i didnt like myself one bit, i had no respect for myself and i didnt really care at the end of the day if i was here or not. Now its a different story, i love myself, i am happy and i dont drink.
      Me too. Great post Ava. I hope that pea and ham soup isn't from a packet! Onya buddy. ;-)

Originally posted by Londoner View Post
      Wow!

What a stark realisation today!

When the AL isn't there, I have realised that I have lost so many friendships because of AL. Without AL I don't wanna hang round with those who I just drink with. And I have pushed away true friends in favour of the short term crutch that is AL.

Feeling lonely and isolated. Texting people and everyone is busy doing other things.

I take ownership of this, but wow. I can see how it is so easy to fall into full blown alcoholism - daily drinking - to escape an empty reality.

It's a case of building from ground zero, or falling into despair. And I'm starting to realise that people only really know me for being drunk and stupid on nights out.

I want something deeper and more meaningful - and that only comes through work, pain, and putting your emotions on the line (something that I've never done)

Time to get real.

PS Anyone on chat?
      Hiya Londoner. Yep, boozing as we do leaves us isolated eventually, and you are right, it is a very empty reality. I sense you are at the cusp of greatness. Great change.

Will head over to chat for a bit to see if you are there. G

Hope everyone is safe and sound. G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thanks Ava. I'm pretty excited about this choice and the possibilities that will open as more and more AF days are experienced. Never have I quit drinking and regretted it and every time I started again it was 0 to 60 with in seconds. And thanks Guitarista. And thanks to all the likes...I appreciate it.
        LuckyMe - I'm Free! AF 7/4/2015

Comment

Hi, All:

Happy Fourth here in the US. We had a quiet morning and then family over for a delicious burger and some fun. Now quiet time, maybe some dinner and a movie, and off to bed. I prefer my "holidays" like this for sure.

Lucky - yes, we all have our stories. Coming here and telling the truth - what a huge relief I felt. Even just the first tentative post where I admitted I needed help lifted a thousands gorillas off my back. Little by little I have regained the truth in my life, and begun to trust myself and the stories I tell myself - alcohol is no longer writing the narrative. Welcome to a great and supportive place. Keep reading and check in here whenever you need. You'll never regret not drinking.

LB - You have a way with words. Wonderful post - thanks.

Londoner - Yes, alcohol IS isolating. I realized I was drinking with people I didn't even really like just to have an excuse. I am much more of a hermit and spend a lot more time with my kids and family now - really perfect in my book.

Byrdie - That parade sounds lovely. I live on a hill and don't have a "neighborhood" per se - I always think they sound like fun.

Lav - How do the Stella like fireworks??

Ava - my thoughts are with you and Robert.

Good Night, all.
          Pav

Comment

Todays project!
            Attached Files
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

byrdie
                what are the pokadot objects? bow tie??
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

duh... ocean theme, I get it!
                  Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                    Todays project!
                    Wow Byrdy! That is really top notch work.

Maybe a real trout draped artistically over the top? ;-)

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Byrdie, I'm getting fat just looking at your beautiful creations
                      Let me know when you start taking orders!

Hello & welcome back LuckyMe!
                      This is a great place for info & support. Settle in for a while & let us know how we can help.

Pav, I sincerely doubt the Stella were bothered at all by fireworks & even if they were......ha ha!
                      One dog slept thru the whole evening, the other was a bit curious but not upset. I was busy in the litchen prepping food for tomorrow's family cookout Glad your holiday weekend is going well!

Londoner, just keep moving forward, everything will get better for you. It takes time to right all of our wrongs, so to speak.

Wishing everyone a safe & peaceful night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey, it's 11pm where I'm at finishing my day one of AF. I'd be asleep but the damn fireworks keep on going and my chihuahua who is normally the best bed pal ever thinks they suck. She's been walking on my back like she's walking on hot pavement. Sitting up seems to calm her down.

Got some thoughts rumbling round my head like regrets etc... but I keep thinking about what I've been reading in the Tool Box and other threads. Very helpful. I don't want stupid thinking to put me in the cesspool of drink. My goal is to be awake the next 4th of July cursing the fricken fireworks but also celebrating my first year of sobriety. Thanks for everything. Night. I'll see you on the roll call.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                          Todays project!
                          Wow nice cookies!! You made these!?!
                          (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyMe View Post
                            Hi. I haven't been to this site for a year now. And in that year I have continued to consume alcohol at greater and greater amounts.....Today I decided enough. I want my independence from this damn drug......So after reading posts for the last three hours I thought this would be a great place to begin telling the truth.
                            Hi LuckyMe, just wanted to say welcome :love:

Nice cookies Byrdie! Did you taste test them? Looks like buttery goodness to me!

Back from the hellacious family vaca as of last Friday. I was out over my skis when I came up with THAT idea lol, but I think we all had some fun. Brought home a nice mix of oyster shells I picked up on the beach. Wishing everyone a peaceful Mae. Xo
                            Last edited by jane27; July 5, 2015, 01:31 AM.
                            AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Where did you go Jane?
                              Weird how we come up with some ideas that end up makimg you feel like sitting in your closet in the dark for a week would have been a better 'vacation' plan.
                              We dont have children or much family to speak of so left to our own devices we both prefer to stay home. Me because I know what to expect here, and my hb mostly because it is easier?
                              Plus Europe is lovely in summer!
                              Anyway, just really glad you managed not to drink and are probably more strong in your quit because of it.
                              I was thinking a couple of days ago 'wouldnt it be cool to drink one day, no one has to know about it...' And then the reality of knowing it wouldnt be one day, it would SUCK to go through quitting again, and who knows how long that one drunken day would last? Weeks? Months? Or even years?

Shake it off... Didnt happen... Lets stick with what we are doing.
                              Last edited by Eloise; July 5, 2015, 05:13 AM.
                              (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

I think I've noticed that I give into AL a lot more easily when I give into other things during the day - caffeine, no exercise, late nights, sugary treats etc.

Need to strengthen my resolve with these as well as AL.

Comment

Working...
                                X