No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy all! Pretty quiet here in the Nest, time to throw my 2 bits in again. Seems strange to me that I do a lot of thinking nowadays when it wasn’t that long ago that all I could think about was getting away somewhere to drink. And my mind keeps adding thought to thought to thought…trying to tie them all together is sometimes a mystery lol.

Dutch, I feel for you buddy! I have a similar situation with the in-laws and Bubba, I always think that when they speak Ukrainian to each other it’s because it’s something they don’t want me to hear, instead of just maybe they are more comfortable with their native tongue!

Anyway, about my meandering brain….. Bubba and I, along with eldest daughter, son and DIL are headed out tomorrow to attend a family reunion on my side. 3 day long weekend up here in Alberta, so it’ll be 3 days of explaining why I don’t drink anymore since at the last reunion (5 years ago) I was the life of the party and maybe the star entertainer, at least that’s how I remember it lol. For some reason, booze and reunions are like peas in a pod. So this morning over coffee I was searching for witty phrases to use as to why I no longer carry a can of Budweiser everywhere I go. I found this online and loved it! It seems something that my family would expect from me and should keep them puzzled all weekend. I’m just going to say I quit drinking because if I could drink like a normal person I’d get drunk every day! That should pretty much stop them in their tracks!

Then my crazy brain asked me why I wasn’t a normal drinker? I told it because I’m an alcoholic. It asked me back what made me an alcoholic. I didn’t have an answer. That got me to thinking again, why did God choose me to have this addiction? Does He sit each day and draw names from a hat of all the people born that day? Normal, normal, normal, alcoholic, normal, drug addict, normal, normal, etc. etc. I don’t think so, that seems like a ridiculous idea. God just wouldn’t do that. So then, why me and others like me? I could only come up with one answer….He picked me because He knew that someday I would beat my addiction and then start helping others to do the same. So if you’re struggling and wondering why you, just think of all the people who are waiting for you to help them! It just seems like the right thing to do……
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Just logging in to say that cravings are coming out of nowhere tonight. Well, probably not nowhere, I think I know why they are popping up. I had a really busy stressful week at work, and each day since Monday had its own particular challenge. All in all it went really well, but as I wrapped up the day today and started to finally relax, that's when they hit.

So, I'm home and grumpy as hell but too stubborn (and too wise!) to give in to temptation. I'm annoyed that my husband is sitting 5 feet away from me with his drink, and twice as annoyed when he keeps telling me "good job, you are doing so good". Arggghhh!

I'm concerned about tomorrow night, being the kickoff to the weekend. Honestly if tonight was Friday I don't know how I would power through this. So I'll be working on a plan. Maybe a movie right after work? I'll have to think of something. Maybe if I expect really tough cravings over the weekend they won't materialize and I'll be pleasantly surprised! That would be a relief. In the meantime I'll try and just be happy that I have a low key day at work tomorrow and time to get all my ducks in a row for the weekend.
      You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well, we had a tropical kind of downpour here this afternoon, plenty of thunder & lightening too but it's still super humid. Supposedly the cooler weather will be here by morning. That would be much appreciated, my hair has been looking like hell this week, ha ha!

Byrdie, that was one interesting & convoluted dream. I can handle anything but roaches

Kailey, plan ahead & be ready to squash those cravings. Act, do something, eat something just don't let the thoughts linger. That approach worked for me & hundreds of others around here

Cowboy, you don't really need to give people excuses or reasons for not drinking. I simply say I feel better when I don't drink & change the subject Enjoy your reunion.

Greetings to everyone & wishes for a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I'm looking forward to a relaxed weekend. Too bad it won't be this one, though.
          But it will be a sober one. And a happy one.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Thanks Lav, but I'm not ashamed to tell people that I'm an alcoholic, and I've done that numerous times in the past 6 months. But I was looking for something witty for my relatives, in a humorous way! And by the way, keep up all the great work you do here!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hello all, and sorry i haven't been around. Earlier this week was the first time my dose increased on the new medication. Since I'm taking it to hopefully help with my anxiety, maybe you can guess how I felt the first few days: TIRED! Felt kind of like taking too much cold medicine, kind of groggy - ick!

Feeling much better now though, and if it's winding me down some I'm hopeful it's going to do what I need it to. *fingers crossed*

Had the house to myself this week (probably a good thing) and it was odd this time. I don't usually crave AL, if anything I'm usually grateful I don't anymore since I used to get REALLY bad by myself that long. I did start craving cigarettes again, though. The only thing I can figure is it had something to do with it being hot and humid, plus me not feeling well. It was hard to find things I wanted to eat, and I used to always smoke more then? Pushed the thoughts away though. If nothing else, quitting drinking has taught me how useful it is to say, "No!" to myself until cravings pass.

And even not feeling great, I had such a better week than when I used to drink. Especially if I wasn't working, I'd always PLAN on getting a lot done, start drinking...and end up doing nothing until the last day, then scrambling to at least make the house look less like that's what I was doing. I'd always be so mad at myself too, and feel like such a loser for wasting all that time.

Good thoughts out to everyone in the Nest, I should really get to bed since I work in the morning!
              I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
              AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post

Cowboy, you don't really need to give people excuses or reasons for not drinking. I simply say I feel better when I don't drink & change the subject Enjoy your reunion.

Lav,
                That is a perfect thing to say. I was asking on another board what people said as I don't want everyone to know my personal business and sometimes saying you're a recovering alcoholic doesn't go over the right way with certain people or situations. Your response is spot on! Glad I visited here tonight and saw this.

Addy (All done drinking...Yes!)
                "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger999 View Post
                  Wow Byrdie, That was great dream recall! When I was drinking I'd think I'd dreamed but never could remember what they were about. Ain't sobriety great??
                  To add to Ginger's post, that was some GOOD REM sleep Byrdie. Drinkers don't get that. Sometimes I'm pretty good at deciphering dreams but that one is a strange one. Domes, cowboy era and roaches. Gonna have to ponder that one!

Addy (All Done Drinking...Yes!)

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Byrdie, any clue on the p. kerkwick tie in ?xx

Abc, I love the way you capture your thoughts. I think it's one of the best tools there is to keep the emotional processing pipes free and clear of muck build up.

Stress tests for me and hubs tomorrow. Nuclear for him and regular for me. We flunked our EKGs last week, and he flunked his regular stress test. For reals, we are just being precautious because he both have fAmily that have died young & suddenly from Herat attacks.

Better get some Zs. Nightie night Nesters!
                    Dutch I'm going to say a prayer for you...I hope you are still sticking it.
                    Last edited by jane27; July 31, 2015, 12:31 AM.
                    AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

i wrote a long post and the phone crashed or so here's the short of it

Awesome anniversary love my wife she's special
                      Still sober despite waiters best efforts
                      Inlaws sucking away ally time here but it's ok making memories
                      Jet skiing is fun, so are sticks on fire
                      Pretty sure I got this sober vacation thing in the bag

Comment

Good morning Nesters & happy Friday to all

My dogs decided to wake up extra early this morning, oh well.
                        Looking forward to a day with more comfortable weather conditions for a change!

Dutch, great news. Glad to hear you are making the most of your sober vacation

Jane, goodness - good luck to you both on your stress testws today. Hope everything works out OK.

LavB, sounds like you are doing well. Great job pushing those disruptive thoughts away!

Greetings to all & wishing for a great AF day for all!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi All--

Just wanted to check in and say I'm here and happily, soberly, enjoying my vacation. Dutch, glad to see you are, too!

Byrdie- what a dream?!

Kailey- listen to Lav. You need a plan firmly established BEFORE the Friday Night F-Its come calling. Friday is just another day of the week.

More when I get back in a few days.

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                            Hi All--
                            You need a plan firmly established BEFORE the Friday Night F-Its come calling. Friday is just another day of the week

Pav
                            That's why I love coming here...because I get such great pearls of wisdom from everyone. Pav, I used to LIVE for Friday and Saturday nights so that I could finally drink. Tried hard and usually succeeded not drinking on week nights (most were work nights & kids were home). But come Friday...

So, this is a great little statement I am going to write down and carry with me. Friday is just another day of the week. May be a simple little statement to some, but it's profound to me.:welldone:
                            Thank you.

Addy (All Done Drinking...Yes!) :love:

Comment

ello Nester,

Not so long ago I got my blood work and annual check done. I remember How the results came. I remember doc telling how I must do something about it. Predicting me loads of meds. My lever was bloated as a balloon, lipids up like like gas prices were up last year. I also remember coming out and heading straight to the bar after that. I also remember how I "gave up" drinks for few days before in anticipation for my upcoming checkup.

I knew deep in I have a drinking problem. I also knew that that it was the core problem. I thought that by seeing the scary reports I might reduce drinking. But power of AL, how it puts a blind fold not only on eyes but also on spirit. I kept drinking even more...

That was 5 years ago.

Today I went to get my reports and was shocked to see how the Clinic on its own took my Olds reports from 5 and 6 years ago and plotted results next to each other with clear cut comparison. While it was delight to see Everything normal today. The reports gave a sense of a body pure and rather perfect. But in contrast to the this the 5 and 6 year old results were shocking. I could not believe I was so sick, so blinded so much in denial. The doc was happy and was appreciating me a lot as to how got everything way down. I was today on no meds, none what so ever not even a vitamin pill. All I was not taking was just one thing: booze. I was eating same amount of junk food, and more chocolate and ice cream. How can just one thing, just one thing contribute to health.

For all those folks who give data claiming "wine is good for heart" they should see ME as a live example who just kicked booze out of life and nothing else. And boom I am back in shape.

Still I feel the worst effect of AL is not what it does to your body. Worst is what it does to your mind. It's breaks the spirit, shatters self esteem makes one utterly dependent not only on Al but all bad things with it: gloom, depression, hang over.

Today i feel proud not only on getting this problem from my life but also truly realizing that I not only did right thing but also am now enjoying life much much more.

For all those who are trying to quit, there is no one reason to quite. There are infinite ones... But u can choose or hand on to one which works for you and sail the waters...
                              Rahul
                              --------------------------------------------
                              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                              Rebooting ... done ...
                              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Rahul, I'm so happy to hear this. Numbers don't lie! You are a shining example of turning it around! Love your positive energy & the openness in which you share your feelings with us ! Keep on rocking it!
                                AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Working...
                                X