Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good evening Nesters,

Hello, welcome & CONGRATS to gingerspice!!
    Glad to have you with us

Kenso, glad your appointment went well.

Sounds like the nest is rocking with success this week - love that!!!!
    Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.

PS: Byrdie, don't worry, the cops were stealing the fancy soaps too, ha ha

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks gingerspice, posts like that will keep me reaching out to lurkers and newcomers... That's what service and giving back is all about for me...
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hi everyone, We are back from Peru in the nick of time I guess as it's under tsunami watch tonight after a big earthquake in Chile I think? Anyway, very behind in everyone's posts but want to address as many folks that I can and hope that the others know they are in my thoughts.

Gingerspice, your post was so intriguing as there are lots of folks who peruse the boards (we call it lurking but it is never meant to be an offensive term) and read and read sometimes before they dare post. So glad you finally joined the MWO group. It is such a comfort to know we are not alone with this disease.

KENSHO, I am glad to hear hubs and the therapy went well. I am curious if you think he has a drinking problem. If so, it could be why you giving it up is so hard for him? In my case, hubby is a very normal drinker. He offered to not drink in front of me but I told him it doesn't bother me. I have to admit that there have been a couple of times it would have bothered me (on vacation in the executive lounge with all of the free wine one could handle), but he seemed to sense that and decided not to drink. We went out to a fine dining restaurant in Peru and he had the national drink which is the pisco sour (potent alcohol in it) but luckily they had a great, over the top non-al drink called a camu camu - so we thoroughly enjoyed our drinks and our evening out. Evenings out for drinks now are just different drinks for me. Hopefully things don't have to change completely for you and your spouse either, just the drinks for you! :-)

Star, Glad you are being kinder to yourself. Always appreciate what you have to share.

Byrdie, I am not sure how your retail business relates to law enforcement. You'll have to enlighten me. I know a lot about the cookie business but this is a new one for me.

A big hello to all of the long time posters here and to those lurking building up the courage to do it. Just do like Gingerspice did and come join us.

Addy (All Done Drinking...Yes!)
        Last edited by All done drinking; September 16, 2015, 11:40 PM.
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch1988 View Post

Has anyone else had a similar experience like this, like after a few months of alcohol free time you feel like you have just settled for the position your in in life? Or maybe I am just too damn greedy and want too much out of life. I definitely would say if I had a deadly sin it would be greed. I want more security, more time to spend wit my family, more money to spend, you get the idea.
          Dutch,
          The beauty of abstinence is you are so clear headed. As G-man says, "the fog is gone" and it's so true. The things we can accomplish when we are not wasting our nights drinking and our days recovering. Lilbit - a book? Good for you! It's exciting to see what good things we will all do now that we are leading lives where we are free from the bondage of alcohol. Maybe we should do a thread on goals and accomplishments? Food for thought.

Addy
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Morning, Nesters!
            I have hidden my soaps and shampoos and am ready to check out. I hope a drag net isnt looming for me!
            Traveling is so different without AL. My meal expense last night was 3 bucks.
            Have a great day, everyone!
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdie, just keep your head down as you walk through the hotel lobby past those LEOs with the soaps jostling conspicuously in your luggage. I don't want to see you on Locked Up Abroad lying on a bamboo mat with a 300-lb. trafficking queen as your new BFF.

Addy, good to see you. I'm glad you made it out of harm's way from any tsunamis. That Chile quake was the largest one this year & I really feel for the people it touched. Please tell me that your hub's drink wasn't one of those South American concoctions they make by spitting saliva in a cup?

Welcome Gingerspice, and congrats on your success. I knew we kept that twig reserved for someone -- it's yours. Unfortunately, somebody took all the little soaps, but we'll share.

Gman, it did not go unnoticed that you are closing in on 30 days. Woohoo! And good for you and Star for stopping to appreciate the moment and drink in Nature. That's "the good stuff."

Kensho, you sound really solid and I'm glad your therapy appointment went well. I didn't have support from my significant other when I quit, and there were times when it was much tougher because of it. I did, however, have all kinds of support from Crazy Ivan, my cat. Turns out, he's quite significant. Just ask him.

Matt, you have been hopping, lately! I hope your Honey-Do's include some good, relaxing pastimes, as well as chores. Put some Pumpkin Spiced Latte mix in that pipe & smoke it.

Dutch, it's great to see you checking in to fight those cravings & thoughts. It seems like they hit you most often when you're under pressure from work, and kudos for dealing with them in a healthy way.

Thanks so much to everyone who commented on my novel-in-progress. That means a lot to me. 'Wrote two chapters yesterday, and it's humming along. Have a great AF day!
              "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Afternoon everyone thank you or the warm welcome. I am in the U.K here so are a bit confused what the time differences are.
                Kensho I am glad that your session with your husband has gone well. I managed to put my husband off al so much with my behaviour that he hates Al himself - We attended Relate ( something similar over here ) years ago, it was quite helpful.
                Dutch , I admire all your courage and determination ,-hang onto all the positives , even though I know its hard when times are trying.
                Starfish Its good to try and snatch time or yourself , being AF makes everything much more real.
                Addy , it is good to be amongst people who understand where you are coming from. I have become detached from my brother and sister mostly done to the fact that I don't drink now, and they do not want to be around me because of my perceived 'change in character'
                Thank you Lav and Byrd lady and of course abc for the welcome , it means a lot

Take care x
                AF 10th June 2014

Comment

hi lilbit cross post ill take that twig if I can balance on it wearing my 'Beckham boot'
                  Big hello to Matt and G man thanks for the welcome x
                  AF 10th June 2014

Comment

Originally posted by gingerspice View Post
                    Kensho I am glad that your session with your husband has gone well. I managed to put my husband off al so much with my behaviour that he hates Al himself...

...I don't drink now, and they do not want to be around me because of my perceived 'change in character'
                    Hi GingerSpice! Thanks! The spouse thing definitely affects us on a daily basis. Glad yours hates AL! How long have you been AF? (sorry if I missed it!) I takes time for others to get used to the "new" you. But they will! You are just more "you" not drinking and once they know you are not interfering with their ability to drink, it usually comes around!
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi Kensho

Been AF since 10 June 2014 - about 15 months to date . I have had numerous attempts in the past to stop and in my distant past have posted for a while on a thread started by a lady called 'enough' sadly I don't see any names here I recognise from back then. I found that between quit attempts my wine consumption was escalating ,my relationships breaking down until the point where even though I was not ready to quit , -if I wanted my marriage ,and my family I had to accept the vino and I had to part company.

I have been a serial Lurker on here each and every day ,and I feel that it has held my quit together . I must admit that by leaving it so long to post I did wonder at this point where on mwo I belong .-stuck between a newbie and a not so new newbie .
                      I am so glad for abc nudging me into action, and very glad to be amongst fellow travellers on the AF road.

Take care x
                      AF 10th June 2014

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
                        Thanks gingerspice, posts like that will keep me reaching out to lurkers and newcomers... That's what service and giving back is all about for me...
                        Cowboy, thanks for rounding everyone up! You are amazing at reaching out to us all and letting us know how much you really care! I want to thank you so much for your "service and giving back"...:star:

Just a quickie post from me, this morning, but I wanted to say hello. Great posts over night. Everyone sounds so good and that makes me twinkle!

I feel much, much better today. I was just exhausted yesterday for some reason. I went to bed very early and got NINE hours of sleep last night. Boy did that make a difference. Today I feel like I have been on a long (AF) vacation.

Sorry I can't address everyone individually, but I just want to say how grateful I am for each of you. When I first started posting 36 days ago there were not too many of us posting here. Things have picked up and we are all doing so well. This is a wonderful place.

P.S. We still have plenty of room available, so lurkers are certainly welcome. Please hop on in (or that cowboy will come and get you :horse
                        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Originally posted by LilBit View Post

Matt, you have been hopping, lately! I hope your Honey-Do's include some good, relaxing pastimes, as well as chores. Put some Pumpkin Spiced Latte mix in that pipe & smoke it.

I actually have a pumpkin e juice flavor, I'll put that in there and VAPE it, not smoke....Get with the program...
                          AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by LilBit View Post
                            Byrdie, just keep your head down as you walk through the hotel lobby past those LEOs with the soaps jostling conspicuously in your luggage. I don't want to see you on Locked Up Abroad lying on a bamboo mat with a 300-lb. trafficking queen as your new BFF.
                            Bwaaha!
                            I can see the episode on lock up abroad now...

"Mam we need to check your bag for soap" But I only took a few! Bag opens and 125 bars of Soap spill out on the Hotel lobby floor!!!'
                            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Howdy ho everyone, great conversations going on! Great to see at least one newcomer to the thread and I’ll keep working on more!

In the evening after I do my gratitude post, I usually check on everyone online, members and guests alike to see what threads are the most popular especially for the guests and lurkers. They seem to be all over the forum, but “Just Starting Out”, “General Discussion”, and the “Meds” threads seem to be the most popular. I also see some members who still seem to be here just to cause problems, and it’s a very poor example of the membership at large here on MWO. I think those few members who are doing this are still active alcoholics who are jealous of what the rest of us have, or are actively pursuing, an AF life. I know this to be fact, because I used to be one of those members! But I no longer am jealous of wanting what the others have, because now I have it as well, and it’s a great feeling!

So if you are a guest or a lurker, don’t worry about those few members. Don’t worry that something you want to say might get an ugly response or offend someone. I’ve had my share of ugly responses and on more than a few occasions have probably offended someone. And if I did offend, it definitely wasn’t on purpose! I’ve learned to just let it go, there’s nothing I can do to change things, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to help those people because I do! All we can do is keep trying.

So if you’re pondering about joining, posting, sharing, by all means jump in on any thread that suits you! Don’t worry if you think your problems sound trivial or not worth talking about. Every situation is worth talking about, no matter how trivial because if it’s bothering you then we need to deal with it and let it go. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, sometimes the smallest of things, even just one sentence, is all that someone needed to read and stopped them from picking up again. Those are the small miracles we can contribute to by sharing and supporting!

Have a fantastic day/evening my friends, remember, no drinkin’ eh!
                              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sounds like everyone is doing well.
                                I've spent the majority of my day running grandsons around, feeding them, cleaning up, etc
                                But I am so grateful for this opportunity, I won't complain, much
                                This is life just as it should be - really!
                                Tomorrow is my grandaughter's turn to spend the day with me. I am looking forward tomit as well.
                                Kick AL out of your life & all kinds of possibilities pop up!!!

Have a safe night in the nest everyone!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X