Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gidday nesters near and not so far,

As a working musician, my workplace is usually a bar lol. There is always some sort of 'party' atmosphere going on wherever I play, understandably. It's cool though. I have drank enough for a few lifetimes, and I don't reckon i'll top some of the parties I've had in the past. They are gr8 memories and I'm happy to leave them where they belong. A nice memory/snapshot of fun moments in time. Of course, booze became my go to fix and cure-all for any stress I felt. And it became a more important (24/7) lifestyle than making music. I began to isolate myself from friends, family, my band, whatever job I may've had. I didn't care too much, shut out the world and all resp....respon.....responsibility, only caring that I had enough booze for the day/week to get to oblivion. Recycling old memories, good and bad amid some distractions of momentarily watching/listening to inspiring music videos or my own past work. Living in the past drinking away the present. This could go on forever quite easily......

The thing I know though, and mind set I am going for, is that the more time I put between now and my last drink, the easier it will get for me to just relax, be at peace, enjoy the surroundings and just be. I'm looking forward to doing a gig somewhere new years eve and absolutely enjoying myself, partying like there's no tomorrow (there isn't is there?) amidst the boozy chaos unfazed. I may even find meself a wife. ha!

Which reminds me. We sure do look a hell of a lot better and healthier with some AF time behind us, non? Living life without the constant thoughts and stress of focusing on not drinking, and 'I'm missing out on the fun' I believe will fade into obscurity enabling me to live and exist in a peaceful state of mind and live inside my dreams. I know there are no limits and anything is possible when we decide to ditch the booze and commit to living sober 24/7. I have to summise and holler......Go for it!

Take it easy out there and kick some arse in your own way. :llama:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Living in the past drinking away the present. This could go on forever quite easily...
      You captured how I often felt, Mr. G. Everyday was the same and there was no future to look forward to - the cycle seemed endless. And awful.

I'm not sure how we reach the point of saying ENOUGH, stop drinking, and start living in the present (and having at least some say in our futures). What makes us finally quit?
      Last edited by NoSugar; November 1, 2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post

I'm not sure how we reach the point of saying ENOUGH, stop drinking, and start living in the present (and having at least some say in our futures). What makes us finally quit?
        Hi SB. Wanting the present more than the past?

Seeing some sort of future and meaningful life ahead for ourselves. Or working to find one?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Just checking in on Day 3. Been a good day, looking forward to many more. Thanks all be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
            Hi SB. Wanting the present more than the past?
            I also wanted some sort of meaningful future and all I saw was an empty void.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
              I also wanted some sort of meaningful future and all I saw was an empty void.
              There's got to be some kind of dream buried deep down inside that we can dig for. But in that drinking void, I couldn't see much hope, and had none. But I was/am a lucky one I suppose, in that there was a little pilot light still flickering away deep within that I somehow found and latched onto with both hands. It was an old dream, and I am going for it.

I am still on shaky ground though, as the 'check out' and melancholy of oblivion still has it's sick attraction. My theory is a few little triumphs and successes along the way will bolster my self image and strength. Whatever the future holds, I know I am on the path of my truth right now.

Congrat's on 3 days Matthew6! Keep it going friend.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Had a busy but fun family day

NS, I tried & tried to quit & stay quit on my own. Then I realized that I was about to become a first time grandmother & that is what finally pushed me to look for some support. I knew I had to do something different & found success when I found MWO. The support & understanding here made all the difference for me.
                I hope everyone just starting or just returning knows that they can find success too. Just hang in there with us & we'll give you a helping hand

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I think we all have a flickering pilot light somewhere within us or we would have taken the worst and final way out.

We somehow need to fan the flame, or find others who can do it when we can't. That's what some people here did for me.

Hold tight to that dream, Mr. G. It can shelter you.

Comment

X-post, Lav. Forget pilot lights with grandkids! Now the trick is to keep our houses from burning down :smile:! Your experience motivated to be ready when my turn came and I am SO grateful for that! Thank you.

Comment

Howdy all! I was reading through all the posts this evening (had a heck of a time logging in this afternoon after repeated attempts) and I want to welcome all the Newbies to the nest! I won’t mention everyone by name because I’m sure I’d miss one or two lol. I have just mentioned this on the Gratitude and Café threads but thought I’d like to share it with the newcomers to show them that the struggles we all face are so very much worth it in the end.

About a year ago, my son (32 years old) and I were together for the day and I was nursing a hangover. He told me that I had to get rid of the monkey on my back, he wanted his real dad to return. Well, his words weren’t enough, but in January I had my final drink and started on my final quit. My son and I spent today together, just the two of us. When I dropped him off at his home, he gave me a hug and told me how proud he was of me! It brought tears to my eyes as I drove out his lane.

You’ll all have moments like this if you just stick with your quit! Something that simple will prove to you that all the struggles are really worth it, there is no better feeling in the world! We can all do this, together, all it takes is one day at a time…..
                      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Just got home from a long, hard, busy out of town assignment. Last night after a 14 hour day, back at the hotel, there was a free buffet dinner with open bar. Normally I would have made a bee-line for the bar, slamming 'em down as fast as I could. I will say I felt the tug, but had water and iced tea instead. A few co-workers were a bit surprised by my not drinking, but I wasn't the only one.

I haven't had time to read back over the past three days, but will tomorrow.

This was posted by a friend on Facebook on Saturday. For those of us thinking we aren't as bad as the next guy or gal, or that we aren't fighting for our very lives, this brought it home to me. Not just a brother, but two others, damn.

"In a few hours we will say goodbye to my brother M…... here in Florida. He was a kind and awkward man. He passed away last week from complications due to liver failure. The last 10 years had been a struggle and he drank himself to death. As sad as that is its the third person in the last three years I've known to do this. I have also lost more than a few recently to their own hands as well. Very sad. With this in mind I want to reach out to you all and plead that if life has piled on and you are drowning, please don't react in a harmful way. Seek help from wherever and whoever you can. It's not hopeless, it's really not. Sometimes life just sucks but you do not. I grew up with a poster on my wall with a picture of a poor little boy in a shanty town. It read in huge black letters' God made me and God "doesn't make junk."
                        So if u or someone you know is hurting don't be proud or ashamed. The healing power of love and understanding is miraculous."
                        Last edited by Mr Vervill; November 1, 2015, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Very proud of your decision to know you have the power in your hands to stay dry. So many cannot make that descision.. You are one of the VERY LUCKY ONES ! Praise God.
                          Some have difficulty all their lives. My beautiful son is one who has been thru hell, lost everything and much worse and just cannot stop .
                          I am so very sorry to hear of your brothers death . It is so hard to watch a loved one slowly fall down the hole to never return.
                          Until addiction is not treated as a negative stigmatism or criminalized and treated as a health & mind/ disorder, addiction is a disease, We will have to fight to change the way our families with addiction are treated. A diabetic is not given a box of Bon bons and sleep all day or stigmatized for the disease. He his treated for the disease, not blamed for it or accused of being weak because he cannot control what he craves... sugar and carbs., sugary drinks etc.
                          I beleive strongly in every word you wrote, and support you 1000%.

Many prayers sent ur way!
                          "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

There are many times I have the most difficult time logging on this site. I even have to log in again after I write a post., or it will not post. It's sooo frustrating. That's why I haven't been here in a while some days I cannot log in at all.
                            I am so grateful to hear you have found sobriety and have your life and son back. There is no higher Blessing in life than the love of a child.
                            I am proud of you aCowboy from a cowgirl who truly understands!

Shades
                            "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

I will be your spirit guide. I give you all my love, support and encouragement to see your dream come to fruition. One day at a time!

Comment

Alldonedrinkin,

There are many new meds on the market to help block the cravings to help you thru the rough spots. Your dr can help,you.educate yourself on the many new drugs available and the science of addiction and the science of relapse. It's a team effort, the are many new approved meds to block the neuron feel good receptors in the brain that causes the savings. counseling and personal,support. My son needs to believe what you do. Some day I pray he will.
                                I know you can find sobriety how you do it is what matters. I am grateful for your attitude!

I support your dedication to stop. Not one more drink. Just one day at a time!

Comment

Working...
                                X