No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Jvo, naturally an introvert. Not with professional situations like talking design with clients, just social ones. It's part of the reason I drank - to be less inhibited and to loosen up. I don't view it is all bad either - some people are just quieter. I've been told I come across as self-assured, but that has little to do with how I feel. It would just be fun if conversation and small talk came a little easier, you know?
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Loved Dutch's story. Thanks for reminding us that we can be in control if we choose. Going to a "girl party" tonight. The group of gals who have these things always serve a ton of wine because most of them are high functioning alcoholics. I know I won't drink, but there is always that little bit of difficulty watching others imbibe in my drink of choice and not being able to. I think it's that "not being able to" part that makes it tough for some of us at times as no-body wants to "not be able to". Tell us no and we want the opposite. So, the post the other day was helpful to me when Mr. Vervill (thanks Mr. V.) posted about the difficulty he has sometimes in not being able to. This is the great thing about the support board, it always helps to hear how we are alike in more ways than just having a drinking problem.

Good night all.

~Addy
      Last edited by All done drinking; November 5, 2015, 07:15 PM.
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Addy, on that boat the other day, I thought, 'Im glad I dont HAVE to drink!' (That used to not be the case). Stay strong, you got this! B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

I'm finishing up day 5 and i just have to ask, is insomnia a side-effect of quitting? Because I'm just wiped out, but have a heck of a time getting to sleep and staying asleep.
          "Don't be ashamed of your story. It will inspire others".
          “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

IDM, there are very reasonable biochemical mechanisms involving disturbed neurotransmitters that explain the insomnia some people experience. It takes awhile for everything to settle down. Eating well, minimizing stress, and generally taking care of yourself can help.

Comment

Regarding sleep, counting backwards from 100 really helped me. Still does. B
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Geez Byrdie, I only have 10 fingers and 10 toes, 100?? lol :hug:
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

"disturbed" neurotransmitters, huh? well i guess it wouldn't be a first for me
                  counting backwards sounds mighty boring. Oh, I get it!
                  Thanks NS and B. Gonna do lights out and hope for the best.
                  G'night everybody!
                  "Don't be ashamed of your story. It will inspire others".
                  “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Byrdie,

I thought so much about you when you shared your cruise story. It does get funny watching folks as we become so much more observant when we no longer drink, and it's nice to be reminded that we no longer act that badly (like some). I had an Uncle tell me one time that I should tape record myself when I'm drunk. I always use that word picture when I am tempted to drink again. He was a person who had seen and heard me act stupidly and nobody wants to be perceived that way. So, when that little voice comes calling..."come on, you can just one", I remember what he said, and what I must have looked like and sounded like and say, "I'm good, I'll just have water."

Addy~
                    p.s. home from the girl party and the mint/lime water was fantastic!

p.s. Idefineme, I had a bad headache for a couple of weeks but not really insomnia issues. I now sleep 100% better than I did before and my anxiety has completely resolved. Hang in there friend. Glad to see you tacking on another night. We're proud of you.
                    "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

IDM yes to insomnia, I would wake up at 615am workout the gym and stay up till 2, and repeat. Find a night time hobby for a bit it wears off. At some point I needed more like 12 hrs so it kind of like a pendulum.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Dutch, great story!

Eloise, I know about the cramped living quarters over there, have seen them myself. I hope you find something acceptable. Hang in there!

j-vo, we have those crazy turkeys around here too, ha ha.

The insomnia comes & goes for me still. I think it's kind of natural & we shouldn't get too worked up about it if possible. I do use some OTC herbals that help.

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Friday to all!

Where is everyone?

Have a great AF day!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

On the positives of a sober life, when I came here I was unemployed and had lost all hope of finding any job that wouldn't completely suck. I wasn't unemployed directly because of my drinking, so I didn't think that had anything to do with it. But a bit over a year later and I've got my job at the animal shelter that I adore, plus the job in retail (something I thought i could never handle again) to help catch up on my bills - and i'm actually enjoying both of them very much. It's a bit tiring as i get used to the new schedule, but I'm not nearly as exhausted as I was with even one job when I was drinking. And I still have time to do things like the 24 hour charity event I start tomorrow.
                            Getting sober has been much more about getting my life BACK than about missing out on anything, it just took time and healing to get there.
                            I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                            AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Originally posted by LavenderBlue View Post
                              On the positives of a sober life, when I came here I was unemployed and had lost all hope of finding any job that wouldn't completely suck. I wasn't unemployed directly because of my drinking, so I didn't think that had anything to do with it. But a bit over a year later and I've got my job at the animal shelter that I adore, plus the job in retail (something I thought i could never handle again) to help catch up on my bills - and i'm actually enjoying both of them very much. It's a bit tiring as i get used to the new schedule, but I'm not nearly as exhausted as I was with even one job when I was drinking. And I still have time to do things like the 24 hour charity event I start tomorrow.
                              Getting sober has been much more about getting my life BACK than about missing out on anything, it just took time and healing to get there.
                              Thank you for sharing this! At 7 days I with insomnia and splitting headaches I have to remind myself that I still feel better than when I was drinking. It is so nice to not wake up without a hangover and general malaise. Though, I would really like to sleep past 4 a.m.
                              Last edited by ssd858; November 6, 2015, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Each successive 'quit' is getting harder and harder. As I know what I need to go through and just how easy a full blown relapse is.

I'm starting to lose faith. To scare myself as well. I am morphing into a creature that is not me. That is chasing the numbing out that booze offers. Recently I have popped out for a beer and lost all grips on reality and ended up on a 48 hour bender. No sleep. Basically coupling it with stimulants, which in my state of drunkedness I'm not even sure what it is. Just partying. On my own. Ending in paranoia. Realising eventually where I am, around people I don't know in a setting I do not want to be in. Just like a dream.

I worry where this path leads from here. This period of hope followed by what is like slow suicide.

Comment

Working...
                                X