No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on 4 years Pinecone, Monumental, I say! Alway love it when you drop in with your words of wisdom, Thanks.

Cruising along here, sunny and cool as well here, Lav. I really like these kind of days. But, you can feel old man winter moving in.

Good luck with the presentation, Byrdie!

Comment

Originally posted by Pinecone View Post
      They are designed to work by people who have successfully quit. They are not the half assed things we do when we are "pretending" to quit. Support is the other element that becomes crucial. The Toolbox and the Nest h!
      This one line says it all for me and to me, makes the difference between a successful and an unsuccessful recovery. I have a friend who called and said she is going to quit drinking too. Admits she's alcoholic and knows alcohol is interfering with her life. But she doesn't want to come here and doesn't want to go to AA. Wants to do it on her own. To me, she is one of those folks who is pretending to quit. After the hangover is gone, after she has gotten over the remorse of the night before, and after a little time has passed, she will say "screw this" or "f" them and be right back to drinking again. I think people have to be really dedicated to their quit in order to get off the merry go' round. Using the tools, finding strength in a group, and working hard to avoid the excuses to drink again are crucial. Thanks for your reply.

~Addy
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Hi everyone. I'm back in the nest again. It feels good to be back in the flock.
        :notes:
        we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

nurdl!

So GLAD to see you again and your snappy pink convertible. Ditching this addiction is damn tough, but definitely doable and oh so very worth it. Stick close and stick with it!:hug:
          Sober for the Revolution!
          AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Welcome back Nurdl! Car looks like it's had a wax and polish. Rack up them AF days like a string of pearls my friend.

Great to see you as always Pinecone. Congrat's on 4 yrs mate!

Yo Turnagain! Hope you're ok there Karen.

I bet you raawked the PPP Byrdy! I reckon you'd just have to open your mouth to have an audience mesmerised.

The weekend ain't no, I say ain't no front row ticket to boozeville see?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Welcome back to the Nest Nurdl! Great to see you here.
              AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
              F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

My heart is breaking over the news of terrorist attacks in Paris.
                I have visited there twice, my favorite place in the world. I pray for them all tonight :hug:

Nurdl, welcome back & where have you been?
                Stay close this time, no more wandering away!

Wishing everyone in the nest a safe & peaceful night.

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Welcome back Nurdi.:happy2:

Kensho, Al fixes nothing. Ever. It takes us away from reality, but reality comes back as soon as the booze wears off.

Pinecone, congratulations on four big sober years! I really liked your post, and this especially...

if the problem is alcohol, then not drinking is the solution.

I like that, as I don't like grey areas. There's no grey in this statement. It's LOGICAL! Alcohol was always a problem for me, therefore, I don't drink ever.
                  And I know putting time in between us and Al is key. It feels funny to me, not to drink, because I've done it for so long. Of course I'm not used to this and it'll be a long time before it feels normal. But I can be grateful for each sober day.

Have a good sober Friday.
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Welcome back, Nurdl!
                    How have you been? Ive missed seeing you!! Settle in and tell us what's going on in your world, and what we can do to help. Hugs to you! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Nurdl, nice to meet you! Checking in here. Long week and ready for a break. Heading out for dinner and family is pulling me away - but all is well here. Some cravings that are frustrating me, but sticking to plan. Hope everyone has a good Friday night!
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi Nesters...a quick flyby here. Just checking in, posting a hello, doing what we do to keep ourselves on track. Today, I am grateful for a warm, fuzzy scarf, the way my dog contorts himself into a U-shape because he's so glad to see me (we call it "U-Dog"), ice time, and the ability to laugh at ridiculous things. And you all...I'm grateful for you!

Congrats, Pinecone and welcome back Nurdl. Pleased to meet you. Pull up a twig and give us the scoop. What's been going on with you?
                        "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post
                          Good evening Nesters,

My heart is breaking over the news of terrorist attacks in Paris.
                          I have visited there twice, my favorite place in the world. I pray for them all tonight :hug:

Me too Lav.
                          Always nice to see folks return to the nest. Welcome back! A safe night to everyone else.

~Addy
                          "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Well not a light hearted morning here in Europe folks.

I am rather speechless thinking of all those souls flying around going who knows where? All the families waking up to realize that yes, this really did happen, AGAIN. How to explain this to young children? The world does not make sense, sorry, but there seems to be no order but chaos instead.

I am also sitting here seeing that tomorrrow I will be 18 months without a drink.
                            It is occuring to me that 'hey, I am actually doing this.'
                            It is taking a LOT more energy and hardwork than I ever anticipated it might.
                            It hasnt just happened. I have not hit some magical "switch" that has made it suddenly possible, painless and easy.
                            Not the case at all.
                            I think I can safely say a few things about stopping drinking: you need to decide you are done, make a plan, stop making excuses to yourself for yourself, and look for that ray of hope everyday. Some days it will not be there, so look again tomorrow.
                            Last edited by Eloise; November 14, 2015, 04:44 AM.
                            (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Congrats Pie on 4 years of sobriety. Great to hear when someone keeps going and going and going.

Welcome Nurdl nice to see you back.

El i totally get the finally realising that it is you. At nearly 2 years i think wow i am doing it. Something i never ever thought i could do i am doing. Its still not easy some days but its a hell of a lot easier than the first year.

I was watching a hoarders show last night and the psychologist mentioned the husband of the hoarder had been sober only 1 1/2 years and she was worried he would relapse. Even a psych knows that there is no magic cure and relapse could be just around the corner. I was talking to my daughter today and i said about me being an alcoholic and she said "you arent an alcoholic now". I replied with "i will always be and alcoholic, I am always one drink away from being in hell". People think that the more time we are away from drinking the easier it is to deal with and it definitely is, but i find i still have to be aware of situations, stress levels and my moods. Will it always be there? I hope not but if this is what i have to live with instead of al then i am quite happy to live with being aware.

One week until the family get together, i hope its easier than what i am imagining it will be ha ha. i love them dearly but .......... and its only for a weekend!

My thoughts are with those affected by the senseless carnage today in Paris.
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good Saturday morning Nesters

Sunny, windy & chilly here!!

Watching TV coverage of last night's terror attacks, feeling sad & scared for all those people in France.

Eloise, I hope you treat yourself to something nice for your 18 month anniversary - very nice!

Ava, you are strong, we all know that! Just enjoy the family as much as you can!

Wishing everyone a good AF day!
                                I am picking up my grandsons soon - I will be BUSY!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X