Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, all

Welcome, LadyLiberty - you've come to a great place to quit drinking. There's so much to read and take in around here - you'll find a lot of support. I was very, very afraid the first time I checked in here, and now I have not had a drink of alcohol in almost two years. Life is SO MUCH BETTER.

Glad to see you, Matt.

QW - I concur with G Man - they have to find out for themselves. Maybe volunteer work with a recovering person with whom they might connect?

Went on a hike and did some cooking today. Nice to have it off. On my way to see live music with the family - happy to be doing it SOBER!

xo
    Pav

Comment

welcome-1.gif Lady Liberty! I can't add much more than has already been said! Just keep coming back and the sobriety bug will get passed on to you as well! Everyday, one day at a time...
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Had me worried Lav,you know how I get haha
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Quick check before bed and phone about to die! We had a great day, enjoying the family. The fellas were out to breweries; ladies stayed home and made pies - much preferred. The wine looked good to me at dinner, but I ignored it and ended up the chipper one at 9:00 while everyone else was snoring (and a few were stumbling a bit). The point is that I wanted a drink, but not for long, and then I was really glad I didn't have it. . I'm realizing how much of the romance of alcohol is a lie. Yes, my brain says I want it, but it really never gave me anything but a departure from the life I want to be here for - and nausea and headaches and liver pain and an eye twitch and hot flashes and low self-esteem and terrible sleep and irritability and a big mouth and cloudy thinking and poor parenting and anxiety... I think the very worst thing is how I couldn't keep my word to myself; how sad. Now when I WANT AL, I ask myself what I'm really getting because the deal doesn't seem like such a good one any more.

Welcome LL. Your story is very familiar to many here. (((Hugs))) to you.
          Last edited by KENSHO; November 26, 2015, 12:54 AM.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Great post Kensho!
            This is how I often felt in the beginning to... ' i want it, but i don't...' Inner thoughts: wait 5 minutes, it will pass....
            Then ' wow, so glad I didnt take that first sip!
            (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Good morning, Nesters! Happy Thanksgiving (to those who observe)!!!!

Last night, my neighbor invited us to walk over to the beach and share the full moon rise over the water. There were about 10 of us and it was a spectacular sight. My neighbor brought all sorts of bags of pretzels, marshmallows and a big jug of hot spiced cider! She poured everyone a glass, but I declined. You just never know what someone is going to hand you. Spiced cider sounded innocent, but I was cautious. Good thing....it had a big blast of that liquor that tastes like atomic fireballs! She asked me to just have a sip and see if I wanted some but I declined. I told her that I didn't want to take any chances with my ulcerative colitis since I was going to be on the road today. She accepted that, saying she couldn't blame me. That would have been a close call.....spiced cider sounds harmless!! Moral of the story, carry your own drink.....I had my diet coke in my pocket and when anyone would ask me where my drink was, I told them I imported and pulled out my bottle! Gosh, in the old days, it would have been laced to the hilt with vodka! I would also be anxious all day, wondering how I was going to get my buzz on good and steady with all this family around. Of course, my trusty hairspray bottle would be in full force today....I'd sneak to the bathroom and swig off it all day. Those WEREN'T the days.

Today I travel light in spirit and conscience....I'm not hiding anything this year and it is a real blessing. When I think of things I am grateful for....MWO tops the list..... LAV for her tough and unending support and finally the kick up my arse that I needed and deserved.....and my quit. 1773 totally AF days today (and counting!) If I can do this, I know you can!!! Have a great day, everyone!! xoxoxoxo, Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

It is a strange thing, dealing with customs. Isn't it amazing how it is fine to offer friends, or even complete strangers, alcohol yet there would be outrage if you were to offer them cocaine! LOL

At Xmas all the family will be at mine along with a couple of tag along friends of my son, one of whom is a methamphetamine addict. My son smokes weed, both sons and DILs drink alcohol and one son smokes cigarettes.
                My son was a pleasantly shocked when I said his friend need not hide his addiction and, provided he was discreet, could use if he felt he must.

I have reached a point where I realise that there is NO difference between ANY of these addictions ..... They are all symptoms of us human beings trying to find happiness in the wrong place.

Comment

Good morning Nesters & HAPPY THANKSGIVING

We've been promised a warm & sunny day here, isn't that nice? I'll be spending the day in the kitchen anyway, ha ha!

kuya, none of us ever found happiness in the bottom of a bottle, did we?
                  I have to agree that all these addictions have a common core.

Byrdie, it's always safe to say 'no thanks'
                  I'm sure your colon is appreciative too!
                  I'm happy & proud to see your 1773 AF days. Keep going, you know there will be no regrets. I'm at 2437 today!!

Wishing everyone a peaceful, healthy & sane Thursday!!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

2437 Lav? Yeaah! 96 to 96,000 for me. Here's a tune for ya.

'96 days' :happy2:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving All,
                      Great post Kensho. The illusion of deprivation with the first two glasse's 'glow' doesn't last and brings with it the true deprivation of feeling and living. In exchange for that first glow comes anxiety, depression that is inevitable to us. No thank you.

Byrdie, safe travels today. Hairspray on hair, not in mouth. What a relief.

Kuya, I never thought of it that way, but it's true. Scary but true. Addiction is addiction no matter what its form.

Have a great day all.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hey, just popping in quick to report that last night went just fine. I hadn't realized how much I missed not just spending time with friends, but being PRESENT for that time! Sorry to be so short, but I had to work today and still need to dig in to some food here.
                          I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                          AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

I survived my family! Home safe, sound and sober! Hugs to all! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                              I survived my family! Home safe, sound and sober! Hugs to all! Byrdie
                              Good to hear! Happy you had a great thanksgiving also

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Liberty View Post
                                And more than a little curious about what my life would look like without alcohol in it. And afraid to fail. Again.
                                I bet everyone here will tell you that their lives are much better in so many ways without alcohol in them. And even the things that aren't great are so much easier to handle.

The failing is tough. Each time I did, I became more aware of what a mess I was in, and my self-confidence fell further. But you only have to try one more time than you fail - this could be that time. I hope you stick around. Many of us found here just what we needed to finally be liberated from addiction. You can make your name come true!

Comment

Working...
                                X