No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also feeling really OVER it, Kensho.
    I also haven't felt anything, except a whole lot of pain and regret, the last times I've decided to drink. I just can't do it any more. I think I have finally hit my limit with running full power into the same old wall over and over again. I know this can change in a heartbeat, when I'm least expecting it.. but for now I feel such relief to be off the roller coaster. I can't remember where you're living? Whether it's in a city or in the country? Do you have the time to meet up with friends in non-drinking situations? During the day for a hike or a walk, to go shopping or for a coffee or a movie? or to a market or exhibition? I also don't have any friends who strictly don't drink (though quite a few seem to be cutting back!) but I've been making a huge effort to find meeting times and places that don't have anything to do with the possibility of alcohol being involved. And I have to say, that now, after only 28 days, I feel so much stronger, my mind is clear, my interests are beginning to interest me again, I have more energy, patience (except for a major PMS freak-out on Monday.. that I WAS able to quickly repair, at least!), my skin looks a ton better, sleep has improved, I'm much more sure of myself, secure..
    I do know that I've been here before and have decided to drink again at some point, for whatever stupid (seemingly innocent/valid) reason and each and every time it's been a big, fat pain in the ass to get back on track.. sometimes it's taken only a day (rarely) and most often it's taken months. I would say, do WHATEVER you have to do get the 30 days under your belt.. it doesn't have to be forever right now.. just today. And after 30 "just today's", you can see how you feel..and then make your next decision/goal.:love:

Comment

Yup, I am over it too.
      Thanks for keeping the idea fresh in my mind!
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Hey Overit, how you doing? Hope all is well!

I was a little too enthusiastic to drink coffee again and am more irritable today than usual. I have a bad habit of drinking non-stop because I feel like it helps me focus, but then I down more than I can handle and feel like if X task doesn't get done it's the end of the world. I guess that's a good thing and a bad thing about coffee. Normally I would use this as an excuse to stress and have a drink at the end of the day to relax, but what I really need to do is mix in some decaf haha

I definitely wasn't over drinking, and still am not. I had a thought today about I wonder if one on Xmas would be alright. I haven't had a sober Christmas for quite some time, and to be honest I felt like Thanksgiving was a pain and a drink would have been nice. Still, I have made a lot of progress in areas of my life(financial, health, relationships) and I don't want to let that stiff fall to the wayside. Still, I can't help but feel somethings off about me. I scheduled an appointment with a psychiatrist just to chat and see if I am in need of some kind of help, cognitive or otherwise. After busting my hump studying last week, I am starting to think maybe I am just anxious and depressed because I can't focus on the things I know I need to do, and that underachieving feeling is making me feel worse. My older sister told me I might have ADD, which I thought was a crummy diagnosis for kids so they could get medicated to focus in schools, but I guess it's a real thing that she has had for years(never knew). I would never go to a therapist if I was drinking, pills might get in the way of my drinking you know, and who needed that? haha

I know we have talked about antidepressants on here, but I am interested in anyone's experience with a psychiatrist because the last thing I want is to come home with a bottle a pills I don't need.

Comment

Hi Dutch,
          We were talking about this on another thread, the fact that the holidays always add more stress to the normal everyday stresses that we already have. It sounds as though you have a lot on your plate right now. As a person who has been on antidepressants for years for clinical depression and anxiety, I can tell you if you did go to the doctor now and he prescribed something, it takes at least 2-6 weeks for the medication to fully take effect. The first several days, it's hard on your body, and makes you extremely tired. My advice is to wait it out until the holidays are over and see if anything changes. As far as the thoughts of thinking it would be nice to have one on xmas, take a look at the link that was on here (I can't remember who posted it) about holidays and not drinking. You've come a long way, and the major improvements are too big to throw away for thinking about one drink (I never could do one drink). Take care, Dutch, and sometimes these funks take time to go away.
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I hope everyone had a good day, I sure did.

Overit, what's new with you? I see you popping in now & then.

Dutch, it never hurts to get yourself evaluated. Taking ADD meds or any other meds is a choice, you always have the right to refuse.
            Maybe a little talk therapy would be enough to help you get things sorted & take the pressure off. My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in kindergarten. I said no to the meds. We found other ways to help him with diet & sticking to routines. I found a great clinical psychologist who worked with my son for a while in middle school. Everything turned out just fine, no meds needed.

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

LC - Love that post. Finding sober times with drinking friends is one of my strategies, too. Movies, hikes, breakfast, museums - all of the things that used to cut into my drinking time - are what I like to do with friends now. I am with drinkers ALL OF THE TIME, and it gets less and less annoying. Unless they get drunk, then I have no patience.

Dutch - Seeing someone is a good place to start. I found help with talk therapy and no medication, although my kid IS medicated for ADHD after years of trying to find ways around it. I think each person has to figure it out.

Hi, Overit. I am so glad to see you and your paper bag stop by. I hope you're well. We miss you around here.

Off to finish making dinner.

Night,
              Pav

Comment

Morning, everybody. Well, Lawzey -- I've gone and had myself an AF baby! Yep, nine months today. Woot! As babies go, this one is pretty cool, I must say. It doesn't drool or keep me up at night. There are no bottles to mess with. And the only "changing" is going on inside me. I can't wait to see what it becomes when it grows up. For now, I'm just a proud mum.
                "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Overit! So glad to see you. How's it going?
                  "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Way to go, Lilbit! I just know that baby will be raised right!
                    Hi Over-it.

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Friday too

:welldone: Congrats on your 9 AF months Lil!!!
                      Take good care of that baby now!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day! Get your AF plans together for the weekend, plan to succeed

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by LilBit View Post
                        Morning, everybody. Well, Lawzey -- I've gone and had myself an AF baby! Yep, nine months today. Woot! As babies go, this one is pretty cool, I must say. It doesn't drool or keep me up at night. There are no bottles to mess with. And the only "changing" is going on inside me. I can't wait to see what it becomes when it grows up. For now, I'm just a proud mum.

So proud of you too!
                        Way to go.

Comment

Morning, fellow nesters!
                          Happy Friday!
                          LilBit, you are the coolest chick I know, congrats on the new baby! :baby: It is a new life, indeed, and our responsibility to nurture it! That means Dutch is right there, too!! Well done for the bof (that's 'both', in Southern) of you!

Over-it, sounds as if drinking just isn't your bag anymore. Pull up a twig and settle in with us! Let's use your bag to carry forward into a brand new era! (it's not just for barfing anymore! Brown is the new black). There is no better time than right now to start!!

Getting sober has challenged me in many ways....not just the 'not drinking' part. I have been free to explore new hobbies and such, as you know. This weekend, I am doing a new project and I know it will be a challenge and I'm NERVOUS (it's just cookies for Pete's Sake) but they are FOR someone (being used at an occasion), so it makes a difference. I'm nervous in a good way! If I were still drinking, I would have never taken on new challenges. I didn't have the will or desire to break out of my comfort zone. Today I have the courage and confidence to do new things. It's very cool, I imagine this is what it's like to be a normal person! It didn't happen overnight, but it DID happen! Do whatever it takes to get thru this day AF. It's just Friday....not a ticket to BoozeVille! Stay sober, my friends! B

Edit to ask: SSD, what did your kitty do to end up in a mug shot? (I love your avatar!!!)
                          Last edited by Byrdlady; December 4, 2015, 08:28 AM.
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                            Morning, fellow nesters!
                            Happy Friday!
                            LilBit, you are the coolest chick I know
                            Word!
                            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

I was up until 2am last night bustin' butt for a meeting today, needless to say that I am TIRED. Didn't think about alcohol though - like I mentioned, I don't really want it at the moment because I relate it to disliking it each time I have it. I complain about working late, but I'm sure Matt and those of you in the health industry, and others do it regularly. It just seems to be catching up with me! Not my preference any more; trying to learn balance and to "get it done" during the day.

Dutch, I am certain I have some sort of ADD, though maybe not full-fledged. My brain goes from thing to thing and focusing takes some serious work. My husband says he doesn't know how I get anything done when he works from home, because he watches me start 20 things and bounce all around. But that's just how it goes for me - somehow I make progress. Maybe its a creative mind too? Anyway I think it's caused me to want to drink in the past - but not because it helps my focus, because I wanted to quiet my mind. I drank heavily for a lot of years, so I'm can't say it did nothing for me - but it never did anything CONSTRUCTIVE for me. Anyway, exploring and diagnoses are always a good thing. I've learned lots of ways to help myself by reading up on ADD.

LC, thank you for your reminder to make AF plans with friends. It seems that every social event I attend revolves around alcohol. I do have one friend who has been SUPER supportive of me not drinking - would like to schedule more things with her. Thanks for the idea and the support!
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good Friday Morning All,
                                I've got a full weekend ahead. We have basketball games tonight and tomorrow night, an my niece's baby shower on Sunday. Lots of stuff to get done in between and around all of that. But I'm excited about it. This is son's last year of high school, and I love basketball season when I'm not in charge of much!!! Yep, very little this year compared to the last few.

I'm also glad i have something I need to do that doesn't involve any alcohol. Entertainment, for sure, but no alcoholic drinks around me. We probably will go out one of the nights, thinking tomorrow evening after the games, but it's easy peasy with these people as some don't drink, and those that do, it's a one or two thing for them. No pressure.

Congratulations on your baby Lil!!! How awesome for you at 9 months!

Good luck with your work today, Kensho.

To everyone, have a happy and sober-free Friday.
                                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                                X