No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning! Just finished my 5K on the dreadmill. Off to shower and spend the afternoon in church. Good luck to everyone.

Remember, If it wasn't for the words on the calendar, we would not know it was a Holiday....just another day.
    The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Merry Christmas Eve, nesters!
      Dutch, do you take an AD by chance? I never had high BP until I started taking Cymbalta, after about 6 months, it began creeping up. Eventually I was on 3 different ones! After I quit Cymbalta and AL its back down to 90 over 60! (Like yours, Kensho!). Just a thought that it could associated with that, but the bag of pretzels is a pretty good clue, too! It is hard to restrict sodium, it's in everything (that tastes good).

ActionG, at some point, you are going to have to have an AF holiday and this mays well be the one. It will never get any easier than it is right now. Stay strong, you wont regret it. If you have time, just check back on this thread a few days after Christmas (in years passed) and see how many people regret their decision to drink over the holidays. If you have a quit going, dont give it up for anything! You may never get it back! This place will get very busy after Christmas!

2 parties tomorrow. My plan is ready! Stay strong everyone, we are almost thru the holidays! Hugs to all! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Merry Christmas everyone. A lovely 35 here today and a seafood lunch. No al for me, mum has her wine. My son is 6 days sober and starting to feel human. He didn't think it would b this bad but at least I can tell him how it is and how much better it gets.

Take care and don't drink, noting and no one is worth drinking at or for. Xx
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Merry Christmas, Ava! And all of you Nesters and MWO'ers and people just stopping by! in that part of the world..
          It's 10 pm here and my bed time.. have to be up early tomorrow to start with brekkie..Love that it's a full moon tomorrow. Beautiful..

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
            Oh, and Lil, keep the trousers up!
            No point in starting now, Pav. LOL!

What is it about the holidays that makes some people just go ape-sh_t, fruit bat crazy? I've already dealt with a family member's complete meltdown (of their own making) and we're not even full-swing into Christmas Eve yet. I think the holidays amplify everything and bring hidden issues to the surface. It's like throwing a pack of lit firecrackers in a pond. All sorts of things float to the surface.

As for me, I am determined to enjoy this Christmas with rest, relaxation, great food and doing some good things for others. Anyone who brings crazy in a fruitcake wrapper can sit in the corner and eat that thing all by themself. I've had my share of nuts, thank you.

Contrast this to the way I dealt with the same horse poop from the same people a year ago. I'd have put up with it and dealt with my frustration by sucking down the AL until I passed out. Then, I'd have come out of the stupor days later feeling guilty, fat, hungover and befuddled as to why I didn't enjoy the holiday. 'Done with that approach. This is better.

Happy Holidays, Nesters. Keep it real.
            "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Merry Christmas eve Nesters!

Had the family here for dinner & some have left to go to church but will be back for gifts, of course

The weather is so warm that the air conditioning cycled on, ha ha! I'm sure it will start to feel like winter sooner or later.

Great job on sticking to your plans everyone. You may not believe it now but you are giving yourselves & your families the best gift ever!!!
              Safe travels to those on the roads.

Have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Merry Christmas Nesters!! Hope each of you has a good one
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Merry Christmas everyone. This is my second sober Christmas and it is so much easier this year versus last year. I knew it would be because that's what the wiser seniors here have said all along! Like Byrdie at the holiday party, I drink my fizzy h2o out of a pretty glass and fit right in. It's kinda funny - I had stopped using wine glasses with a stem long, long ago. I broke them so often that the replacement costs were cutting into the actual wine buying. Now I drink water out of a glass with a stem everyday! Broke the first one in almost two years last week. I had to laugh because it's probably the first wine glass I've ever broken while sober. What two years ago would have been an "aw crap" moment was a moment of gratitude that brought a smile to my face and a few pieces of glass in the dishwasher. Life is good.

Welcome to all the newbies - stay strong during the holdiays, focus on the wonderful gift you are giving yourself (and those around you too.)

Ava - you are such a lovely person. Robert is smiling at you and I'm thanking you for sharing that journey, and your grace, with us. You are a wonderful role model for your son.

Have a lovely, sober, holiday nesters.
                  Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Hey All.

Rough day for me. The old alcohol was calling my name all afternoon. I am not sure what triggered it but it was there.
                    I did what I had to do to not drink, ate, slept, played with the dogs and talked to friends.
                    Christmas eve AF. That is a good feeling. Glad I am here and have the support.

A very Merry AF Christmas to you all and I will see you tomorrow with 9 days in the bank.

rednose
                    All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

Merry Christmas to all of you! I did it : ) Did not drink a drop of AL even though wine was everywhere. It was hard but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Most of my family members didn't even notice!! Hubby did though and he was SO proud of me. Day 11 is DONE!! I am relieved and know I'll wake up feeling good on Christmas morning, a first in many years.

Comment

Great job Red!! I know it wasn't easy but you did it. Hang in there . . .

Comment

Well done AG! Xmas day family lunch done and dusted here. A good bunch of folk anyway , but I survived, didn't leave early, and enjoyed myself. Another notch on the AF board . I am glad it's over! Phew . All the best to y 'all,
                          Last edited by Guitarista; December 25, 2015, 01:10 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy to be sober.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Wishing my nest mates strength to get through the day.

I just read an article in the NY Times from May of this year. I found it very poignant and thought I would share it with you guys.

Love to all & Merry Christmas!

Surviving An Alcoholic by Paula Ganzi Licati

How did I become a widow? It began in our basement, where Robert holed up with his Dewar’s bottles.
                              AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Merry Christmas Nesters. I hope you all have a peaceful day xx

Comment

Working...
                                X