No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all!! G and others, I'm so encouraged to hear the AL thoughts dim over time . . . please keep reminding us of that!! Have a great Monday everyone . . .

Comment

Hi, All:

Way to go, Red. Great to put yourself right here in the nest and ask for help. There's a lot of it.

In my early days I relied on the Bubble Hour to help me pass time and get my head on straight. I have appreciated all of them that I have listened to, but let me recommend three in particular: John Kelly: Changing the Stigma of Addiction, Let's Talk About Denial, and A Little Willingness Goes a Long Way. There is also a great one on avoiding relapse, and one about Ellie's relapse - after 5 years sober. These are the links to the website, but I would download the podcasts from iTunes, put my earbuds in, and walk and listen, killing two birds with one stone. I walked all over the trails in my area, and got a lot of wisdom and support along the way.

Lil - sounds delightful. A meal on your own terms, and a long hike after. Whoot!

Off to enjoy a day off. Hope you all have fabulous Mondays.

Pav

Comment

Good Morning to you all.

I just want to say thanks again for the life line everyone threw out to me yesterday when I asked for help.
        It got me through the day and here I am again with another day in the bank.
        It does amaze me as to how quickly the thoughts of having a drink can pick up momentum. No doubt
        hanging around these rooms and asking for help when needed can keep us from that dreaded first drink.
        I have such an addictive personality, I wish / want to get addicted to something that is healthy for me like getting my
        butt back into the gym.
        I am going to put my gym clothes on and hope that I get to the gym for 30 minutes today.

Thanks again for the life line. :welldone:

Hey I made it to the gym. Only 30 minutes but it is a start......Baby Steps. lol
        Last edited by rednose; December 28, 2015, 05:03 PM.
        All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

30 mins gym is fab Red! You are taking action and shaking that ass. Something as humans we are designed to do regularly, otherwise our skeletal and muscle systems seize up!

Love the mountain climb xmas day Lilbit. Raawkin! Keep climbing that mountain friend. Got a few here that need climbing. What a great idea.

35c + forecast here all week. Off for a run to the beach. 129 but who, I say who's counting. For me, the only way out is through, not to hide from life.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Boy Craig Ferguson hits a homerun here. I'm sure this Video has been played to death here but it sure does bear repeating. Enjoy.
            Your browser is deprecated. Please upgrade. - YouTube
            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Good for you Red!

LilBit, I loved your post. You're looking out for your company, but not forgetting what is most important. Awesome. And isn't it nice not to feel guilty about leaving?

Have a good night all.
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sounds like a happy bunch of nesters today - great

Lil, great story - wish someone would wash my dishes, ha ha!!!

TJ, I love Craig Ferguson, tells it like it is!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest. More rain & colder temps moving in my portion of the nest, brrr!!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey All,

Checking in to say goodnight to you all. Very grateful for this site and the people here.
                  All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

Goodnight everyone... All is good here.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Morning’ all - guess I’m the first one awake in the nest today. I’m supposed to be off all week but headed to the office in a couple of hours. May have to go in tomorrow as well. I’m not complaining though – just glad to have a job – and one that I enjoy, make a decent living at and really like the people I work with. Lots of folks can’t say that these days.

For some reason, I have started “falling awake” every morning around 4:30am. Not sure what is up with that. I take an Ambien at around 10 and am fast asleep shortly thereafter. Then it’s like at 4:30 my body says ‘get up – got stuff to do’. Not sure what is up with this but it should beats getting up at 8:30 hung over and slogging to work – feeling terrible and just wishing the day would end soon.

Anyway, just wanted to wish everyone an awesome mornin’

Take care all!
                      IJM

Comment

IJM it is simply your body and brain recalibration ....there are a lot of neurochemical changes happening.

Try to make sure you get enough rest in the early days and weeks...even if you are not asleep, rest.

Recovery from the battering we gave our bodies takes months and doing too much in the early days can make you overtired which then makes you want to drink.

Eat well, rest well, avoid confrontation as much as possible

Comment

Good morning Nesters!

It's a super soggy Tuesday in my portion of the nest, oh well.
                          I have plenty to do to keep me out of trouble

Wishing everyone a great AF day ahead.

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Morning, all!
                            IJM, in those very early days, I really didn't know what my natural sleep patterns were or how much sleep I actually required! Why? Because I passed out every night on the couch at 8 or 8:30! When I first got sober, I was still awake at 10 (hand grasping heart!). I finally did find my natural sleep rhythm. My sleep is much more restorative now, too. That alone is worth the price of admission!

Next week I have a big presentation to give. It's with a new product I'm not comfortable with yet. Plus I'm giving it in front of my toughest customer (R. Sole, as I call him) and my boss, who just got promoted to King. I gave it a dry run yesterday afternoon and it stinks! I have a lot of work to do to make it flow (or make sense!) UGG. I hate speaking in front of a group! It's one thing when I know what I'm talking about, but in this case, I don't want to get stumped with my boss there! Oy. I blush when I get stumped, I just hate that.

Hope everyone is having a peaceful week in this in-between time. Stay strong! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Just sliding in through to say Good Morning nesters. Busy Busy Busy
                              The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                                Next week I have a big presentation to give. It's with a new product I'm not comfortable with yet. Plus I'm giving it in front of my toughest customer (R. Sole, as I call him) and my boss, who just got promoted to King. I gave it a dry run yesterday afternoon and it stinks! I have a lot of work to do to make it flow (or make sense!) UGG. I hate speaking in front of a group! It's one thing when I know what I'm talking about, but in this case, I don't want to get stumped with my boss there! Oy. I blush when I get stumped, I just hate that.
                                Oh, I feel for you Byrdie. I purposely joined Toastmasters years ago to enhance my public speaking skills because I had formed a fear of public speaking for some reason. Like really afraid. Could be in a audience and have something really vital to say and couldn't do it because of my fear. Toastmasters helped and not saying you need that as you probably do enough public speaking in your job but some of the skills I learned there help me to not be so fearful.

Number 1 (being prepared takes the fear away, so rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, and anticipate any questions that may throw you.
                                #2: Hopefully there's a friendly face in the crowd & you can give good eye contact to them. Try to look above their heads (R.Sole and King Boss) in case they are giving you disapproving looks as that can make you feel nervous with negative energy coming at you.
                                #3: Picture R. sole and King Boss in their underwear or in a very compromising position - use your imagination with that one!
                                #4: Take deep breaths before you begin - yoga breaths, it helps to calm and center you.
                                #5: Remember and trust that you are very likable and that your pre-presentation jitters are just exhilaration.
                                #6: About 90% of what we worry about never happens, so keep that in mind and don't give any thought to it not going well. People (most anyway) want others to be successful. I am sure you and anyone who reads this can relate to the compassion and worry we feel when someone is on stage and forgets their line or is giving a speech and stumbles. The audience mentally pushes them to remember because they want them to be successful. We all feel uncomfortable when someone else is uncomfortable (at least those of us that aren't sociopathic...LOL!)

Looking forward to hearing how well it went for you. I'll be thinking about you sending you good energy.

~Addy
                                "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Working...
                                X