No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nora, I was just taken by surprise by the speed at which the glasses were distributed! I dint know what to do except just try to blend in! You are so smart to think ahead like this so YOU dont have to feel uncomfortable! Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Ava - how sweet your son was to tell the waitress. Good idea to take a little walk and get away from the alcohol. I am sure it will be fine but since this is such a big event, I definitely needed some pointers.

Byrdie - I figured that I was going to all of a sudden have a glass in front of me. Honestly, a little worried about having champagne in front of me because I always loved champagne. I haven't had any in a couple years or more and I intend on keeping it that way.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hello - Well, a few more firsts for me this week. Tonight I was able to play music with people! I have wanted to join this little group but since they practice at 7pm it was usually too late for me . . . not a drinking gig as it is at our church. Tonight I made it and it was awesome. Great fun.

I also have been able to sleep in flannel sheets. No more waking up with the wine sweats!! It is delightful.

Nora, congrat's on the upcoming wedding! Aren't you glad your quit is solid? I'm sure the planning will be that much easier.

JD, great job getting through the last few days. I find I am much more focused on my kiddos and able to get to know them so much better.

Stay safe and healthy in the nest!! AG

Comment

Hi, All:

Nora - as the mother of the groom you deserve special treatment. If no one does it for you, make sure you tell a wait person that you want sparkling water for the toast. As a "science" person I have that same unusual superstition - you can't toast and put it down! But if they hand you champagne all bets are off, and the luck gods have other intentions because you don't drink. Phew.

Thanks for the support last night. One more day until Friday - no ticket to boozeville, but a ticket to sleep and relaxation. Can't wait.

Byrdie, you crack me up. Mine's a lot more than HALT - for one thing I NEVER go without food, so it would be ALT. Add all of my other "issues" and it is more like A;LKDJFN AHIVENPRIOTNVQRYGB[ WIOEJNROG.

Night, folks.

Pav

Comment

Haha Pav. Me too.

AG, that's great about your music thing. What do you play? There are a lot of good firsts, aren't there. And the seconds are going to come as well and be just as good.

Friday morning here. Lots going on today. Work, packing, basketball. I have a very early flight tomorrow. Going back to be with Mom and Dad for a week. I have some anxiety about this trip as it's getting harder and harder for mom with her illness. I'm gonna make sure I get to the fitness center daily to walk off my nerves and tension.

Have a good day.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Actiongirl.....the firsts make us soooo grateful to be sober......love my flannel sheets!
              J-vo, thinking of you over the next week.....
              Up today intending to go see my sister 2 hours away.....it snowed overnight so staying put.
              Feeling good.
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Happy Friday, Nesters!
                I'm hitting the road so a quick fly by.
                It's ONLY Friday, NOT a ticket to BoozeVille!!! Stay strong and you will be SO happy you did. We already tested the waters on AL, it is NOT safe! We know what going back does X 100000. Try the road less traveled, you will love the serenity! xoxoxoxo, B
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Friday to all

Sunny & cold here, not bad. Nothing super special on my day plan but that's OK, I can only take so much excitement, ha ha!!

j-vo, I hope your week with your parents goes well. I'm sure your presence will be comforting & reassuring to them.

AF events, weddings & such are not nearly as troublesome as I would have guessed. The longer you are AF the stronger you become
                  Wishing everyone a great AF day ahead!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

El your SIL sounds like my older brother. He drank so much he rolled out of a car once when I was like 5 or 6. It's funny, but it never occurred to me until this very moment. He was in the bathroom and my dad was downstairs with him helping him yak into a toilet. I thought it was related to falling out of the car, but I realize now that it was from drinking too much. He still drank for almost 20 more years till doctors told him if he kept going his organs were screwed. But I could control my drinking, I NEVER had more than 8-9, or maybe 12-14 if it was a REALLY tough day. Never occurred to me justifying your drinking could be such a stepping stone.

I went to 2 weddings early in my quit, the toast was fine, I had my AF drink and I just tapped glasses with that. No one said anything, course I am one mean looking guy so I doubt anyone would anyway haha

I have been reading almost daily in here, although not posting. I highly recommend at least reading on here to avoid sowing the seeds of destruction on accident. My wife was asking about me making her a drink yesterday(she's a light weight), and I said I had no problems with it. But I immediately logged in here just to make sure I wasn't kidding myself. It's that punch you don't see coming that knocks you out. Other than some financial hardship, which I would call 1st world problems TBH, Things have been going well in my life. The ADD med I am on seems to be really helping my focus, and I am starting to think part of my depression was from forcing myself through activities all the time despite it being so hard to concentrate. Happy Friday all, taking the family to Disneyland for the long weekend. I would never do that if I was drinking in the middle of January, the 1st long weekend was for getting slammed from the "tough" two weeks back.

Comment

Good morning! JVO- you sound great and good for you for making plans. AG-So excited to hear about your firsts. Keep it up.

Gotta run, busy....busy....busy
                      The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Morning everyone,

Busy nest this morning.

Nora congrats on upcoming nuptials. I know you will do great what ever you decide.

J-vo safe travels and peace to you with your mom's illness.

Dutch good on you for checking in here first. I would be mortified if someone asked me to make them a drink.

Just hanging out with the kiddos again today, soberly. Hoping we get some of that snow others have posted about (sorry read so much I forgot who).

Have a most blessed day,
                        JDG
                        Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Morning nesters

A beautiful sunny morning today. Waking up sober just makes a good day even better.

My son celebrates a month sober today. A changed man for sure. We talked today about events coming up for him where he said he will have just "one" (his bf's wedding), i said why would you have just one, one wont satisfy our need for al and its fine to toast without an al drink. I mentioned to him how he protected me at my nieces wedding so i would not drink a few months ago. I told him as time goes on he wont want that one drink and how many people i have seen on this site that have had that "one" and went back to square one. We all want to be normal and sociable but we cant. Its so nice to talk to him about this even though i wish it was not him an alcoholic at 22. He went out last night and got free coke as he wasnt drinking al, he told the barmaid he had stopped drinking and she said how proud of him she was and how hard it must be and his bf said how proud he was as his drinking was pretty bad. He thought that was pretty cool to be congratulated on NOT drinking. To see the look of life in his eyes again is pretty special and we both said how good is it to wake up sober and watch others with hangovers with a smile on our faces!

J i hope you enjoy your week with your parents, as hard as it is those are precious memories to have and make sure you have you time. I listened to Lav on that one and she was right (as usual! lol).

Daisy, did you talk to your sister about her drinking at yours? How did it go?

Today i am building up to go food shopping. I still remember the days i needed a xanax to achieve that mission, cleaning and just enjoying the day.

Hope you are feeling more normal Pav, thinking of you!

Take care xx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Turned out to be a fairly decent day. It warmed up a bit & now it's raining. Still haven't seen a single snowflake yet this winter - weird!

Ava, congrats to your son! That's really great news & I am sure you are proud & relieved as well. You know that your example helped him find his way out!

Dutch, enjoy your Disneyland weekend, sounds fun

Not sure yet how my weekend is shaping up, no hurry to find out either, ha ha!!
                            Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Heading home to the love of my life, my animals Wesson, Timmy, Bob, Baby, Henry, Porky, 7 fish, 9 chicken hens and one male guinea, a warm fire, my Diet 7-UP and a movie.

Have a good sober evening everyone.

I can't wake to wake up unhung!
                              The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Originally posted by Overit-still View Post
                                Heading home to the love of my life, my animals Wesson, Timmy, Bob, Baby, Henry, Porky, 7 fish, 9 chicken hens and one male guinea, a warm fire, my Diet 7-UP and a movie.
                                ...and a partridge in a pear tree!
                                sounds wonderful overit! You have a good sober evening as well, and enjoy your unhung morning!
                                "Don't be ashamed of your story. It will inspire others".
                                “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                                X