No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many inspirational posts this morning!

Kensho, getting on MWO when those thoughts creep in helped me tremendously. Glad you were able to push them out. You are in uncharted water with your AF days arent you? So am I am and thats where I want to stay! Very proud of you!

Daisy, hope you are feeling better!

Rahul, I got goosebumps reading about your younger sales manager. You just never know how how much our lives touch other peoples'. He could not have a better role model than YOU!!! Happy Birthday and congrats on 1 year, 9 months! :balloons:

Ava, please give your son an 'Atta Boy' from his friends in the nest! 6 weeks is awesome!!! Here again, what a role model YOU are!!!

U/O, we are sending you good juju! I was floored at how many of my medical problems went away when the AL did. How are you doing on the AL front?

Feeling good today.....the sun's out, I am with my hubs and dog, life is good. I did, however, pick a bad time to sign up for a 4 pound weight loss challenge at work, with my recent vacation, I now have 6 to lose! Im going backkards! (as we say in the South).
    Hugs to all, B.
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good mornin'! Better today - I needed sleep. Thanks for the support. Byrdie, I've been in the 60's before (64 days AF I think?) - so uncharted in a few days. You are all right about figuring out the cause of the drinking thoughts. Like JVO, it's been a desire to just check out & be numb - sometimes I just want to NOT feel, even though it's not particularly bad; just feels like too much sometimes. A tired, overwhelmed brain. And I really, truly think there is something about how I am eating. Either way, I am not drinking - but I've imagined the glass at my lips more than once. Standing on the edge is not a good place to wobble, so I'm glad you all pull me back into the center of the nest when I go there. Thanks.

JDG, I remind myself ALL THE TIME how precious this time with the kids is. I am usually glad to have them wanting my attention - but some nights I just need a quiet room to sit in, and it does not exist in my house!

LC, sounds like a challenging living situation! Kudos to you for making that work. I hope you can get a hot bath in from time to time! Unwinding is the hardest part for me.

Luckily, I created a lighter schedule for myself over Dec/Jan - and it felt easier to abstain from AL. But it's kicking into gear here, and thats when the fan gets splattered. My biggest challenges are with balance. I can't seem to get my brain to focus, and then when it does, it feels hard to change over from work to family, and back. BUT, such small problems compared to so many people on the earth. I'm lucky to have my job, and family and you all.

Happy weekend!!
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good morning. Great posts and thank you all.

After an emotional night of basketball, we went out with people to a restaurant to celebrate. It was the first time I'd gone out afterwards, as I was always too tentative with my situation. But I wasn't last night. This was a special game, as the rival team just lost a student in a car accident, and our students supported them, by wearing their school colors and donating all profits from raffles to this family's fund. It was heartwarming, bittersweet, and just made me want to celebrate life. So at the restaurant, it didn't bother me to see others drinking. No, what I did feel good about was the fellowship, community coming together, and just the fun small talk. It was special. It was about the people. Not about booze.

Rahul, nice to hear from you and happy birthday! And congrats on your 1.9 years. So awesome to be a positive role model for someone. Awesome.

Up and over, I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. Keep doing it.

Ava, hugs to your son on his awesome six weeks. So wonderful.

Kensho, if you can take breaks somehow to break up the constant stress, maybe that would help you. I know when I feel that way, it takes me to bad places in my head. Just 15 minutes of deep breathing helps a lot. Thinking of you.

JD, enjoy the weather.

Overit, enjoy your conference.

Byrdie, I'm in the biggest loser at work, and I'm the only one that gained this past week. . But I'm still exercising and even added a different workout routine with weights. I feel I'm getting a bit smaller, but the scale is not showing it and I think it's the muscle building. I'm gonna go with that!

Have a great day all.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Originally posted by j-vo View Post
          So at the restaurant, it didn't bother me to see others drinking. No, what I did feel good about was the fellowship, community coming together, and just the fun small talk. It was special. It was about the people. Not about booze.
          Yeah, right on Jvo. This is what it's all about I reckon. You bewdy!

Hope y'all are having a gr8 weekend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi everyone....just a quick check-in. Still out of action....very weak but better than 2 days ago. Ah well.
            Ava, so happy to hear about how well your son is doing.
            Just found a great site on facebook, Sober Nation....some great articles that you all might find interesting.
            I was thinking that with the sickness I have had over this past month, really it can be seen as a gift in my recovery. I have not even thought of drinking and it is also reminding me of those self-inflicted hungover days that I have wasted. Brings me back to the pain of drinking without actually doing it. Grateful and sick! Haha
            IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
            Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Quick check in for me. Been off the grid for few days, but all is well.
              Looks like it will take me a bit to read back and get caught up. .

SmartSelectImage_2016-01-30-20-42-10.jpg

True that!

Stay Hard my friends
              AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I had no plans for visitors today but I ended up with three grandkids & most of their parents here for dinner. Funny how that works, ha ha! Yet another reason I am grateful for my AF life

Ava, Congrats to your son on his 6 weeks AF!
                So, is he taking guitar lessons from Mr. G now???

Kensho, I do remember those years when my kids were young, stressful to say the least. I completely understand the difficulty 'switching hats' from mother, nurse, wife, girl scout leader, erc, etc. I was always in awe of the others who seemed to manage all that without breaking a sweat. Turned out they were just better at hiding their angst. Hang in, stay on plan & trust that everything will be OK. It will be OK.

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the Nest.

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

good morning all.

I'm really annoyed in myself because I must be the world expert in procrastination. Since not drinking I've become so productive but not in any area I should be - ie. my college work. I work full time and study part time. I've only one year left of this course and have done really well until recently. I just can't motivate myself to sit down and put in the work I need to for my current assignments. One is overdue but I've been granted a little more time on it. I need to get my act together or it's not going to be good. Yesterday I even re-organised my underwear and sock drawer arranging them in colour order etc... I mean seriously!!

If anybody can offer advice or point me in the right direction, I'd really really appreciate it.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Good Sunday morning Nesters!

We've been promised a warmish day so hopefully more snow will melt, yay!

Moni, I am also the queen of procrastination, I understand.
                    I remember discussing this with one of my psychology professors many years ago. He just said some of us work better 'under pressure', ha ha! So think of it as self-imposed pressure to do better work. Good luck

I have lots of odds & ends to keep me busy today.
                    Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day ahead!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Moni, I know my productive self works best in the morning, after a good night's sleep and coffee. Can you identify when you would be most productive? I know I put off checking papers, because it's not my favorite part of teaching. I do procrastinate, still with that, but whenever I do get it done, it's early in the day.

Lav, it must be great to have all of those family members come over. I bet back in the day while drinking, it would have been stressful to deal with that.

Speaking of procrastination...I need to get my papers out to check right now! Have a good day all.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Originally posted by moni View Post
                        good morning all.

I'm really annoyed in myself because I must be the world expert in procrastination. Since not drinking I've become so productive but not in any area I should be - ie. my college work. I work full time and study part time. I've only one year left of this course and have done really well until recently. I just can't motivate myself to sit down and put in the work I need to for my current assignments. One is overdue but I've been granted a little more time on it. I need to get my act together or it's not going to be good. Yesterday I even re-organised my underwear and sock drawer arranging them in colour order etc... I mean seriously!!

If anybody can offer advice or point me in the right direction, I'd really really appreciate it.
                        Moni, I usually find that when I procrastinate over something there's an underlying emotional reason that's conflicting with my will to get it done. Am I putting off cleaning out the closet full of old work clothes because I'm insecure in a new job and want to hang on to memories of when I felt more solid? Am I hesitant to finish that novel because a part of me fears it will fail ...or that work presentation because I fear that it will succeed and actually create a lot more work? When I can uncover the hidden "downside" inner feelings, which are sometimes "irrational" and deal with them, the procrastination dissipates like misty fog in the brilliant morning sun.

Happy Sunday morning, Nesters. 'Always my favorite time of week with unhurried coffee sipping, crossword puzzles and the aroma of Croque Monsieur wafting in from the kitchen, but especially now, when I'm working 60-70 hour weeks, and especially since I have the gift of enjoying the time unhung.

Belated congrats on your 100, J-Vo! Well done.

Byrdie, that's so cool about your recent family meet-up.

Good job, Lav, on keeping your chickens from landing in the "frozen aisle" during the recent Weather.

Have a great week, everyone!
                        "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Good Morning, Nesters!
                          Moni, I work from home and you better believe I can be my own worst enemy when it comes to time management. I have a solution that works for me. I make an appointment to do stuff. I am a task checker-offer and if I keep seeing something undone, I put it down on my schedule. I HATE doing my expense report and updating our Customer Interaction Tool, so I will put it on my calendar for Tuesday at 2 (for example). By golly, I actually do it! Good luck with your scool work!
                          Pauly, congrats on YOUR 100 days today! I tell you, Ive never seen as much success on MWO as we have at this time! :spin:
                          Every day we can out between us and AL is a win! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

PAULY 100? REALLY! CONGRATS!

Good morning! at the office early, to church, and back to the office. it's OK.....this too shall pass.

Yesterday, I was actually home before dark and spent a lovely few hours in the woods with my husband and dogs. It was wonderful. And this morning it dawned on me that I did not, even with his 18 pack right along side of us the whole way, not even once, not even a wee little bit, did AL cross my mind. That's cool because being out like that is a HUGE trigger for me. Not even!

Have a great unhung restful day everyone.
                            The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Don't have a heart attack Over it haha! I know I can't believe it either,btw I pm'd you about fitbit,not sure if you got it my PM's are being weird
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy Sunday Morning,

Frustrated, heartbroken and a lil mad. My son's GF of over a year left him last night and he says he is ok but I can tell he is hurting. He has been through so much is his 18 years, from living with an alcoholic mother, father working out of state for 6 weeks at a time, accidentally shooting his BFF at 11 years old in our home, to my father always accusing him of being responsible for missing or broken stuff. Power tools, batteries, gas, hand tools, etc. My husband actually found most of the "missing" stuff and it still continues to be blamed on my son. AGHHHHHH!!!! Rant over, sorry, but thanks for listening.

Moni - I am the queen of procrastination. My solution, whenever I feel very productive I try to do as much as possible before it leaves. This usually occurs about once a day. If it doesn't happen then I force myself to do what needs to be done. I clear away all distractions and focus on the task at hand until complete.

Lav - I am sure you enjoyed your unexpected guests visit. I love having a houseful from time to time.
                                :goodjob::applouse: to all the milestoners. Lets all keep up the good work.

Have a great AF day yall.
                                JDG
                                Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Working...
                                X