No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The First Primanti Bros. Restaurant wasn’t a restaurant at all. It was a cart. That’s how we started. Awesome, right?

I know Cheese steaks are a Philly thing, but down the road, this is what we eat...Lav, I used to eat these at 2 in the morning in my very much younger days. Now I'm lucky if I can put down a half.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi guys, just checking in...I haven't gotten all the way caught up from this week but I wanted to check in. Day 4 here and I have to say its been a rough couple of days! I wish I could say I didn't think about wine a bit today. But I know it would totally not be worth it!!! UGH LIFE SUCKS SO BAD SOMETIMES!!!
      Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Good day everyone! Just checking in. Leaving tomorrow for 4 days with the hubby. Not allowed to take any electronic devices so I will see you next week.
        The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

So I get up at 5 this morning, drive 2 hours in the rain to the Military base. I get my number#75 (and two for my co-workers, #76 and #77) and we stand in line IN THE RAIN for 3 hours. We finally get inside, get seated at the kiosk, enter our Company's ID code and Camp Lejeune doesn't appear on the list. I'm in disbelief, my company has every military base listed in the USA except this one! I was livid!!! The guy standing there thought I was going to kill him and apologized!!! I said it isn't YOUR fault, it's my company's for not putting Lejeune on the list of our customers! I took a photo of me and the technicians standing in the pouring rain and sent it to the person in charge of this whole project (the project is so we can get on base easier!!!!) for my company and she wrote a snippy note back. I told her we have been doing business with CL for 27 years, millions of dollars of business, I checked in with her yesterday and told her I was going!!! I tell you, it's been a really LONG time since I've been this angry and frustrated.
          On the 2 hour drive home, I passed a liquor store. Naturally the thought, 'I should pull a big drunk' popped in, but right behind it came' Oh HELL NO YOU DON'T!!!!' Checks and balances! What a relief that drinking is no longer the answer and even I KNOW IT!!! Stick with this everyone, the message is getting thru!!!
          Byrdie
          Last edited by Byrdlady; February 4, 2016, 07:27 PM.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Sorry to hear that Byrdie. That really sucks! And that woman...is she an IDIOT! No AL, maybe a nice, BIG hot chocolate sundae?

Honeysoup, of course you're going to think about alcohol. I do, still, everyday. But I'm thinking of it in a different way now. I think about how it almost destroyed me, completely controlled me, made me sick, weak, and so much more. In the beginning, I was thinking about how it would be a relief, just that one, which we know isn't true at all. As Byrdie said earlier (I think) that relief lasts 10 minutes and the rest is downhill with the GSR bros. Hang in there. There's a celebration in three days. :sohappy:How about the toolbox for a few distractions?

Have a good night.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Back at home on my laptop where typing is a bit easier
              Fun but busy day with my granddaughter & her fat cat!!!

But Byrdie, how many marines did you see? Did you see my friend's son? He looks like a baby....honestly.
              Sorry stuff got messed up today. It's OK to get mad over a situation like that, I know I sure would. But it's not OK to drink over it - we don't do that stupid sh*t anymore, right? Tomorrow will be better :hug:

j-vo, I have heard about those Pittsburgh sandwiches where they pile everything on like that. They are what? 3000 calories apiece? ha ha.
              I hope your Mom gets what she needs to keep her nutrition up, that's hard. Yes, be very grateful that you have grown up in time to give your parents the support they need.

I've been up since 5 am & it's now almost 9 pm so I am calling it a day.
              Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Oh Byrdie....that was just crappy! Hope you've chilled out now.
                Honeysoup there is never a morning that you will wake up and wish you had that drink the night before......focus on that morning feeling of being relieved and happy that you are sober.
                As much as we all admire and respect people with long stretches of AF time, every one of us here know the struggle and how much it takes to get through those first hours, days , weeks......getting started is tough, the obstacles appear bigger, but like anything worth having, with practice you will find them easier to overcome. Like you say Honeysoup, life can suck so bad sometimes......drinking that dirty rotten poison the way we did makes it suck all the time! It is only the illusion that tries to pull us back....
                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Awesome, Daisy. Thank you.:happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by j-vo View Post
                    https://www.primantibros.com

I know Cheese steaks are a Philly thing, but down the road, this is what we eat...Lav, I used to eat these at 2 in the morning in my very much younger days. Now I'm lucky if I can put down a half.
                    Ahh. JVO. I'm originally a Pittsburgh Kid and you just took me down to the strip at 2 AM sitting side by side with a trucker eating the most God awful sandwich ever made. They were so bad they were good. Nothing like the foo foo sandwich they pass off as the original.
                    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by actiongirl46 View Post
                      Hi all!

Croc - How is your week going? Staying busy?

Have a great Wednesday!!
                      Sorry I missed this and thanks for asking AG. It's rush hour in my line of work at the moment. I really need to push two lawnmowers at once :<) It's just till the weekend tho' and then we're going to the coast for a few days break. Lot's of posts here to catch up on while I'm away anyway.

I hope you made your deadline without major drama.

croc

Comment

Hey guys!
                        All looks pretty sensible around here, folks dealing with things and moving on. Cool!
                        I have been having a little trouble getting in here lately. Site slow for me.

I had a drinking dream that has put me on alert.
                        I am going to visit friends in Asia soon and in my dream decided to drink there.
                        A good reminder to be firm and not blow this whole thing out of the water.
                        Rest assured I will be posting lots while I am there!
                        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Good morning Nesters! Day 88 and feeling great!
                          That's all! Have a fun Friday!
                          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Originally posted by Honeysoup View Post
                            Hi guys, just checking in...I haven't gotten all the way caught up from this week but I wanted to check in. Day 4 here and I have to say its been a rough couple of days! I wish I could say I didn't think about wine a bit today. But I know it would totally not be worth it!!! UGH LIFE SUCKS SO BAD SOMETIMES!!!

ADDICTION SUCKS. LIFE is good!
                            As you well know, this is how addiction draws us back in! It tells us that without AL, nothing is worth it...why bother??? What's the use??? Sound familiar? I know that's what it told me. It's a dam lie! It's ALL lies. It is dying right now and it will tell you any and every-thing to get you to feed it. It will sink to the very lowest depths of despair and tell you that your life isn't worth lving. I bet there are at least a dozen nesters that will tell you right now that's BULLSHIT. If you are like me, MOST of the problems I had were a result of AL, not made better by it!!! I know you are having some challenging times, but everyone hits a bad patch and it's your turn. (someone told me this during MY bad patch and it helped to know that the Universe wasn't just picking on me). Getting thru the rough surf is what you have to do to get to smooth water. No, it isn't pleasant, I don't know anyone who said those first 30 days were easy. But I do know plenty of people (myself included) that will say they were worth it.

Try to change your thinking from that of a victim to that of a VICTOR. You are not being punished, you are overcoming addiction from a very addictive substance! You are DOING something about It, and not just sitting there complaining about 'someday'! This is big in our world!! Be proud of yourself!

There will always be people who have more than you, and people who have less. Celebrate who YOU are right now! Getting sober is a process, it doesn't happen overnight, but I can tell you, getting to the other side is Nirvana. There aren't roses and unicorns (see yesterday's post) but I can cope with what comes my way instead of being a victim of it.

Kuya has a VERY inspirational thread regarding "The 3 Principles ". If you haven't checked it out, please do! It is POWERFUL! Keep up the great work! Stay connected and talk it out! We are great listeners!

It's only Friday, everybody, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Stick with the Plan! As Available would say (and pardon my Acronym) TFIF!!!! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Daisy, glad you're feeling better.

El, we need to pay attention to those alerts and stay focused. When do you go to Asia?

Croc, glad to see you're doing well.

TJAF, awe, a Pittsburgh Boy!!! Yes, I used to sit in the same place in the Strip, the original Primanti's and eat that God Aweful, God Awesome sandwich at 2 a.m. Those were the days that the grease didn't lay there for weeks and I could just go home and sleep it off. The new Primanti's aren't the same as the original.

It's senior night at basketball tonight, and a very emotional night it'll be. We'll walk son down the court for his last home game. :sad: but so proud. Have a great TGIF or Saturday.

Comment

Good morning Nesters & happy Friday to all!

We are getting a fresh layer of snow here & I don't know why.....didn't order anymore snow

Daisy, very nice on your 88 days!!!
                                Protect them with everything you've got

El, wishing you a safe & fun trip to see your friends. I want to hear all about your AF view of Asia!!

Hello to everyone & wishing for a great AF day for all!
                                Gratitude has helped me attain 2508 AF days so far - something I highly recommend

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X