Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-post, Eloise.. Hi!:hug:

Comment

Here's a pretty good article for you, El: Alcohol and Nutrition: Health and Disease Prevention - How does alcohol affect your blood sugar? - MedicineNet
      In the short term, alcohol can cause reactive hypoglycemia (hence the "fourth meal" people often eat after a night of drinking to get their blood sugar back up). Over the long run, it contributes to insulin resistance and all that goes with that including pre-diabetes, diabetes, weight gain, and all sorts of other chronic problems and diseases.
      I'm pretty sure that my nightly wine-drinking habit was at least part of what led to my blood sugar issues. Unfortunately, stopping drinking isn't sufficient to undo that damage but other dietary changes can help.

Congratulations on your 800 days, Ava! I'm impressed but not surprised :hug:.

Comment

Yep Byrdie....the drunk on life sober person!
        Ava, woopeedoo for you! 800 days! Happy you are happy!
        I know I feel ok right now but I was wondering if there is a definite connection with getting sick and getting sober.......
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Originally posted by daisy45 View Post
          I know I feel ok right now but I was wondering if there is a definite connection with getting sick and getting sober.......
          I have been sick more often in the last 6 months than I have in the last 10 years. I have had a couple colds and, sinusitis, bronchitis. In addition to headaches and body hurting - (knees & back). I thought it was only me. Didn't realize that you were going thru it too!!
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Congratulations on your 800 Ava!! That is super awesome!!!! :hug:
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thanks NS, just read the article.

Can you elaborate on this comment?
              I'm pretty sure that my nightly wine-drinking habit was at least part of what led to my blood sugar issues. Unfortunately, stopping drinking isn't sufficient to undo that damage but other dietary changes can help.

Can you tell me about the dietary changes?
              Thanks!
              (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Ava, congrats on 800 whop-arse days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                :dancin: What a feat!!! I am so proud of you, little lady!!!! Keep up the great work!!
                Hugs, B
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

It is a saying they both got tattooed on their right shoulder. Our paths may change as life goes on but the bond between us is always strong. It is in calligraphy on my son and daughter's shoulder for each other, it is sentimental.
                  Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

A big loving shout out to Ava on 800 days!
                    Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

CONGRATS ON 800 AVA!!! :welldone:

Good evening Nesters!
                      Well, I guess I'm ready for more snow whenever it gets here. Tomorrow is likely to be a crappy day for getting around. Maybe I'll just make some popcorn & stay home

I was wondering myself about the whereabouts of G, Matt & a few others. What's going on??

I think it takes a body a good bit of time to heal from the abuse. I know myself that I have felt much better (fewer aches & pains) & have had a much stronger immune system the past few years. Healthy habits, healthy food, regular exercise really do pay off!! So hang in there everyone!!!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Congrats Ava on 800, that's huge, way to go!

I am clocking in officially at 11 months tomorrow, so I am close to my goal of making it to a year. My life has had a lot of ups and downs, and I know I am way healthier without the booze. Still, I have been having cravings, especially since my initial goal was a year. Today my mom asked me if I was ever going to start drinking again, and I didn't reply immediately no, which tells you how I have been feeling. I upped the Ned I am taking with my doctor, and doubt I will be on it much longer of it doesn't start working a bit better. Today was a crippling amount of no giving a crap. I just have to keep remembering I won't feel bad like this forever, that's life. Things come and go. I just have to accept being comfortable with discomfort. In the meantime it was nice celebrating a birthday for my daughter without alcohol, but I am still addicted to sugar. I figure I'll worry about it after my 1 year.

Comment

Hi all! Ava - great job on your 800 days. So impressive!

You too Daisy. I'm so glad you had such a great time with your friends.

I am well. I started a yoga class and I really like it. It doesn't give you very many steps on your Fitbit though!! Since December, I've added music, yoga, and a new gym. Things I have been wanting to try for years but haven't been able to commit to as they involve evenings, and I was always busy in the evenings, doing the same thing over and over with my super boring friend AL. This is a lot more fun!

Comment

Hi, All:

Way to go, Ava, on 800 days (still two days away for me - curse that International Date Line!) Ava - there is no way in hell I'm going to get to 1,000 without you. Remember, I have a brick in my hand and the Stella to back me up.

Pauly - YES! Dealing with those emotions instead of drinking to hide them. It takes a lot to relearn how to do that. As simple as it sounds, several DEEP SLOW breaths can at least calm down the initial fight or flight feelings and put me in a frame of mind to face what comes. PAWS is a real thing - look it up or check the information in the tool box. WHATEVER you do, come here first and get some support. You got this.

Dutch - I hear you. I had a forever goal, not a one year goal, but close to my one year date I had all sorts of grumpy, unsettled, woe is me feelings. I think it was the last gasp attempt at that drinking part of my brain that still hadn't accepted really and forever. Thank goodness I had tools and a community to rely on. Use us as much as you need. Look and think back to how you felt 11 months ago, and ask yourself if you really want to go back there... You got this, too.

JDG - that is sweet. I don't feel close enough to my crazy siblings to have matching tattoos - very lovely that your kids do.

Off to bed, nest. Take care of yourselves, and don't drink no matter what.

Pav

Comment

Good morning Nesters from Lav-land where it's snowing AGAIN. Can you tell I am not thrilled? Ha ha!!
                              I traditionally wish away the month of February because at least March brings spring.

Pav, I haven't unleashed the Stella on anyone lately. There's certainly no need for you or Ava to have to worry! You are doing marvelous

Dutch, I truly hope that you choose to continue on your AF path. Take it from those of us who know 100% for sure, AL never ever makes anything better. We have been there & done that BS, we know. Be proud & celebrate you wonderful 11 month AF anniversary!! Be patient & trust that everything will be OK.

AG, I love that we can reinvent ourselves once we give AL the boot Enjoy the yoga & gym!

Wishing everyone a great AF day!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AG, it's amazing how much time we have when we don't drink.

Dutch, sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit antsy. When you came here almost 11 months ago, how were you feeling? Did you feel you needed to quit? What were the reasons? I am asking, because for me, I am a serial quitter but this is my LAFQ and I refuse to let the AV take me anymore. When we've had extended time away from something, we forget how bad it really was. Think about how it was for you those last few weeks before you quit, the reasons you quit, and how your life has been since then. When you don't 'take it completely off the table' and leave that little wiggle room for maybe then we struggle with these thoughts even more. Take it from the serial quitter who is on her LAFQ. It ain't worth struggling over these thoughts anymore.
                                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                                X